Things you don't see anymore

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

\snip\ What is true though is I once saw an Ivo Peters film in that gaudy super 8 colour as train he was on went through I think a Somerset and Dorset station, on the immaculate platform not only was there loads of plants but a greenhouse full of ripe tomatoes!

I think the answer to your question is "Pylle Station". This is taken from an interview with the former 'stand-in' station mistress at Pylle; I think the section I have put in bold italics answers the question:

"...BETTY: And I’d been on the railway a few weeks, so they said to me, “There’s nobody out at Pylle station,” which was the branch line from Evercreech Junction to Burnham-on-Sea, “You go out there and see to it.” I said, “I don’t know really anything about it.” And they said, “Oh, you’ll be alright, go on.” So I cycled from Evercreech New to Evercreech Junction every day, so I got the bicycle out and cycled off about four miles to Pylle station …

BETTY: And the person there was off sick apparently. Black-outs were up, I mean I didn’t know how to get the black-outs down but I managed it eventually.

INTERVIEWER: And you were the only person there?

BETTY: Only person there, and I only been on the railway six weeks!

INTERVIEWER: How old were you then - 16?

BETTY: 16.

INTERVIEWER: Goodness.

BETTY: And I was out there for the day. It’s a very tiny station in a hamlet, not very busy, I suppose they thought, “Well, she’ll manage.” Any rate …

INTERVIEWER: How many trains roughly, during the day?

BETTY: Two passenger in the morning, couple of freight, two more in the afternoon and a late train at night. And I got out there, I didn’t see anybody for half the morning. Went up the signal box and there were tomatoes and chrysanthemums growing up there … it was a one man station, the man always ran it, but of course he was sick, so later on when the morning train came in I had one passenger get off from Glastonbury, didn’t see anybody else very much. … "

dgbrit,

The crap on the floor came from a plant pot that I knocked over whilst taking pictures - it is now vacuumed up :o)

• Upvote 1

Yup, me. We love Yorkshire Tea, which is pretty strong, so 1 tea bag does 2 small mugs\snip\

Tea bags? tea bags?! why use tea bags when you have a pot. I also like Yorkshire tea but I always use loose leaf tea and a tea strainer. There's so much more flavour in loose tea.

012.JPG?gl=GB010.JPG?gl=GB014.JPG?gl=GB

Did someone say AA & RAC badges? Anyone remember the "Parking light"? or the Penny slot in the public toilets? ( As in "Spend a penny") Note the old penny piece on top of the lock.

Larger pictures scan be posted if requested.

Does anyone recall the small rocket shaped alloy toys, into which you placed a cap and then threw it into the air. It would descend like a bomb and go off with a loud BANG!

010.JPG?gl=GB

Larger pictures scan be posted if requested.

Compo, upload these to your photobucket and post the IMG link, and they will always display full size

(click on the image below)

I would like to see the parking light which has been discussed here before.

You can recall those lamps can't you Mick? am sure they modeled the starship enterprise after them! one bulb with one red lens and one white with a clip that you trapped by winding window up on it, seem to recall 2 lengths of twisted flex as per table lamps but not sure what was on end? surely not a push into the cigar lighter (note cigar not cigarette) as about only big jags had those? The usual parking light in basford was a paraffin lamp with glass painted part red, imagine those these days? Whoosh!

The usual parking light in basford was a paraffin lamp with glass painted part red, imagine those these days? Whoosh!

I remember those because My dad used one http://www.amazon.co...949011&s=sports with a motorbike and sidecar on the street at night.

Amazing to think of it now, because it wasn't fixed or locked to the bike in any way. Just free-standing. But nobody ever nicked it.

And on the subject of Buster.......I had that comic back then. Never realised the connection with Andy Capp, but looking at it now, it's obvious.

Compo, upload these to your photobucket and post the IMG link, and they will always display full size

(click on the image below)

I would like to see the parking light which has been discussed here before.

That's what I did it came out as a thumbnail :o( trying again.......

010.JPG?gl=GB

i'll take a better picture of the parking light tomorrow and show the plug as well as the light fitting. Remember? it hooked onto the top of the window. Has a two-pin plug as remembered by your good self.

I was right about the plug, however the pins are different sizes meaning they are polarity specific, which I do not understand as they are only supplying a bulb which will work on either polarity feed?