Things you don't see anymore

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

And I remember going to skeggy and back on a Raleigh runabout, same colour as the one in the picture. Had bum cheeks like a cow's posterior after that trip.

• Like 1

.Red rings around the tops of kids legs, where their wellies have chafed.

• Upvote 2
16 hours ago, catfan said:

Army bags were the norm for years, kids used em for school bags & blokes used em for snap bags.

Not seen one for ages.

When I were in't RAF these were called "Small packs";  the bigger ones we used for school bags we kids called "Haversacks" but the RAF called them "Large Packs".  There's one for sale on eBay today at £35.  I think they used to cost about a pound from the Army Surplus stores - perhaps someone has a good memory for prices? hang on a minute....just found this on the internet: http://www.endicotts.co.uk/content/british-37-pattern-large-pack-used-graded-khaki  £12.95 +p/p for a grade 1 or £5.95 for a grade II Large Pack, genuine 1950s item.

• Like 1

Sweet shop scales like these.  I like the little holders for the wieghts on the front of the machine:

26644361208_44b2e52806_m.jpg

The one I had for my school bag was the grey one, I think that was the RAF one. We called it an haversack, bit bigger than the one in the photo and two straps to  carry between the shoulder blades.

• Like 2

I do not remember Driving Casuals.  I always have an old pair of flat shoes in the car to drive in so I do not damage smart shoes driving long distances. Also the soles of the shoes are clean and dry so my foot does not slip on the pedals in bad weather. On the subject of ladies driving, I watched Back in time for tea tonight. All about the 1970s. I was amazed when they said haw few women could drive in those days. I never noticed being in a minority having passed my test as a teenager.  I was not a casual driver! I just got on with it!

• Like 1

Tinkers -especially the ones on bikes with a pedal-driven grind wheel at the front. I remember one who travelled the South Notts villages like Ruddington, Bunny, Rempstone, Costock, Wymeswold, Hoton etc.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, catfan said:

I reckon elfnsafety put a stop to that, no safety guard on grinding wheel !

Plus no abrasive wheels certificate!!

Anyone ever have a steering wheel cover - the ones that you put on with laces? Edited after posting.....Just taken a look for a photo of one and it seems you cna still buy them!

I've had a couple in the past, on older cars, but nowadays, the wheels are much more comfortable, although madam has one that just slips over....... So the instructions say, although it took me about ten minutes to fit it with the help of a couple of dessert spoons and a kitchen knife !

• Like 1

Likewise driving gloves Compo. I had some when I had an MG over 50 years ago, but even then, I thought they were a bit poncey.

• Like 1