Things you don't see anymore

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

I was driving slowly through the Wick harbour district yesterday and saw a poliswoman on a corner with a wireless; around the corner was a polis car with a polisman getting out very quickly and around the next corner was a plain clothes polisman diving out of his car and attacking a youth, with the other polisman joining in; a third car sped up shortly afterwards. Don't know what the youth had done but there was no way they were going to be polite and arrest him quietly. I eagerly await the Friday John O'Groat Journal to see what-like.

Is that the same as a policeman ? (Well that's what we sassenachs call them anyway)

Re Polis, that's how it's spelt in Turkish, and pronounced, all turkish words thus, makes life easier, unlike for example Derby, Leicester, brough, daughter, would be darby, lester, brow, dawter etc

If Bobbies was derived from 'Robert Peel', as was Peelers, where was the term Rozzers for policemen derived from??

Mid 17th century 'constables' wore civilan clothes,badge of rank was a black silk rosette worn on the coat lapel.This may have coined the name or term 'rozzer'. Mick should know the answer .

Mick knows just about everyfink.................he's Klever..............that's why he's admin'....................min'

This from Carol Pozefsky

Etymology: The origins of English words and phrases. Anchor/Reporter NBC and CBS Networks. News Director 3 regional radio stations

The word 'police' stems from the Greek word 'politeia' meaning, state, administration, government.

In Chaucer's Canterbury Tales we find the word 'policie' meaning organized government, civil administrati

n. Later in about 1589 we find the French word 'policer' meaning to keep order. The first recorded use in English of 'police' in specific reference to those concerned with enforcing the law and maintaining public order is found in about 1730 in Scotland.

Several reliable sources indicate that 'rozzer' is simply a nonsense word with no clear etymology. There was a suggestion that it originated in the works of author P.G. Wodehouse but that couldn't be confirmed.

Crikey Compo........you's is nearly as klever as Mick........................or can you also google like a good 'un...................

Four Star petrol at 69.3 ppl

Naaaah! that's a sign going up next week...you just can't see the one in front of the six... ;)

Edit....I'll tell you what ...it must be a while back...that scrap metal wouldn't be there five minutes now.

• Upvote 1

Crikey Compo........you's is nearly as klever as Mick........................or can you also google like a good 'un...................

That'n were googled Paulus mi duk.

barnbox.jpg

We had one of these at home when I was a kid.

Does anyone remember the tall collection boxes in the figures of children that Barnardo's used outside/around businesses?

• Upvote 1

I rember the Barnardo's collection boxes were they A small boy and a taller girl?

With Barnardoe's written around a round base?

I remember that also.

Spastics Society perhaps?

A name not particularly politically correct nowadays.

Also Polio was about then?