Things you don't see anymore

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

Is that a "Rediffusion" box on the back wall of teh house on the left of the Denman St photo? Anyone?

Is the headgear still there too?

The engine house complete with the vertical steam engine and headgear are now preserved Compo. There is the Brinsley Colliery tandem headgear restored and returned to it's original location at Brinsley too.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, the "Bod Tod Pit" Brinsley. I remember the headgear whilst in operational order. I worked at neighbouring Moorgreen for a while.

Cock-on-a-stick that actually LOOKS like a cock. As a kid I remember them being well made and looking like a cockerel. The last one I had looked like a smear of rock with some stripes on it

thumbsdown

Here is an ACTUAL chain. It has a government inspector's note attached saying "Checked 24/8/61 3½ " too long".

IMG_5493.JPG?gl=GB

I was two months old then !! (And they still say that about me !!.................... slywink )

Cock-on-a-stick that actually LOOKS like a cock. As a kid I remember them being well made and looking like a cockerel. The last one I had looked like a smear of rock with some stripes on it

It's an Arnold man/family behind them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nottingham/content/articles/2005/09/16/goose_fair_cock_on_a_stick_ray_whitehead_feature.shtml

ray_whitehead_lead_214x160.jpg

• Upvote 1

... and the reason the "chain" is 3-1/2" too long is because to use it properly, it had to be hung "in catenary" - that is it was slung between two posts so it formed a shallow inverted arch - which would shorten its effective length! All sorts of complicated arithmetic and stuff went along with it - including the tension on the chain. Once set up, the "chain" was used as the base for a triangulation survey of an area. This was very rarely done as the OS kindly did it for us and laid out the "benchmarks" - from which all subsequent surveys were derived!

With modern electronic (and GPS) surveying equipment, trilateration has replaced triangulation - and a GPS survey can be accurate to about 5mm!

Seeing the stone beer jar reminded me of the stone hot water bottles we used to have. I saw one in a bric-a-brac store in Worthing on my last visit. I am always on the limit for weight in my luggage, or else I'd have bought one back with me.

A kid around the corner from us in Arnold had one like the top photo - and I lusted over it! I think they were pretty expensive for the time and my mum & dad couldn't even get close! Had to make-do with a handed down tricycle!

There's some great images here;

http://www.google.com/search?q=triang+tricycle&hl=en&client=firefox-a&sa=G&tbo=u&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=s&tbm=isch&source=univ&ei=OEOqUK3jFcqoiQLw_oGQCA&ved=0CEIQsAQ&biw=1264&bih=630

Raleigh also made the 3 wheel bike with the 'breadbin' on the back, I know because when I worked there, I got one at a discount for a friend.