Things you don't see anymore

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

Men drinking out of personal tankards in pubs. At one time, many pubs had a row of tankards above or behind the bar, all individually owned by regulars.

I recently had an ear bashing because I used to leave the kids in the car park/ swings area sometimes whilst having a swift half of an evening. I used to take them out a drink and crisps etc and keep an eye on them. I still don't think I was a bad father for that. Modern thinking has it that I put them at risk but in those days a country pub always seemed a safe place to me. Furthermore, there were always other kids in cars and playing on the swings etc. apart from mine.

How many in R-o-T now. Not many I bet.

lived here 11 years in August and same number now as when we came, 5, Manvers , Royal Oak, Black Lion, Horse Chesnuts (ex Cliff Inn) and The Trent, various rumours been coming and going for ages, Black Lion is up for sale but still ticking over,

Whenever we are on holiday, we try to avoid any pub that says Games Room, Family's Welcome, Karaoke etc, I don't mind live music though. You can't beat it.

• 2 weeks later...

Piccalilli with big pieces of veg in it. I have bought the jars back with me, that say 'sandwich' on them, and jars that don't, and they all seem to be finely chopped piccalilli in them. What's wrong with finding a big piece of crunchy cauliflower and a whole onion in your sandwich? Don't tell me the Health and Safety folks have deemed it too dangerous to find big pieces and we might choke!

Tan coloured slip on shoes.

Had a pair denshaw,with a red jewel,cost me a fortune about 1970,i asked my DAD what to wear em with? A FROCK,was his reply.

#1622 - I used to wear armbands - very useful for keeping your shirt cuffs off the desk, and therefore reasonably clean, at work. Since solved the problem by wearing only short sleeved shirts ! I also had a pocket watch for some years.

• Upvote 1