Things you don't see anymore

Flash bulbs for your camera. You'd take one off the strip, slot it into the top front of your camera, take a flash picture and discard the bulb.

Brownie box cameras

Hair laquer that you bought a refill for. The refill was in a soft plastic tube, you'd snip off the end and refill your bottle, then squeeze the bottle. This stuff would hold your beehive 'do, in the strongest of hurricanes!

Shampoo that came in satchets

Nylon stockings held up with a suspender belt. They came seamless or with a seam up the back, in different deniers.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2
  • 1 year later...
  • Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

Ayup Kev,

You can still get Black Cat and Craven "A" with proper cork tips from the tobaconist under the council house building.

I think the Black Cat brand was revived in the 70s complete with cigarette cards, "Uniforms of the British army" collected the whole set then left them in the old house when I left home

Rog

Speaking of cigarettes, or fags, you don't see dolled up ladies handing out free ones at sporting events etc. I remember them handing out "Bristol" cigarettes at the speedway once - tried our hardest to get a few, but those women must have had age radar installed. Funny, we had no problem buying beer at the Pavilion!

And where do you buy those base ball caps with the peaks at the side ??

You can't - you have to get your head altered so your face is no longer at the front! It is amateur surgery often performed with a baseball bat - a side effect is complete loss of any kind of sense or imagination!

boombox2

• Upvote 1

re "10 Park Drive" one of the old Ilson bikers was pulled in by the police and they wouldn't believe his details, think it was in Matlock "name?" Bill Derbyshire, "**** off what's yer real name" William Derbyshire then, " hmmm, address?" 10 Park Drive Ilkeston, "Fred, radio for a car! got a right comedian here" "and you, what's your name?" Friar Michael West "make it a van Fred"SWScan00023.jpg

• Like 1

There is one in Sandiacre too - my mate lived at number seven!

Not sure if this has appeared before, metal hair curlers. If I remember rightly, they gave a frizzy curl, they were so tight. Another 'hair' one is a stocking tied around the head and hair 'rolled' over it and tucked in. My mum definitely did that one.

• Like 1
Not to mention CUSTOMISED Izal TP -

Abiding memory from my Army days; if the RSM had been giving you grief, you could nip into a little room, sit down, have a smoke, read the paper, and then....

.... wipe your arse on GOVERNMENT PROPERTY .... every sheet was printed thus! :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

All the long, narrow pubs that they had in Longton, where I grew up, have gone too - Sort of terraces knocked into one long room, small bar, bunch of tables, sawdust on the floors of the posher ones, lods of domis and cries of 'one for his knob' from the crib players - oh and not a juke box or anything, but neough smoke from the parkies and the woodies so that you didn't really need to smoke your own!