admin

The Hangman

Many years ago when executions in Nottingham were held in public The gallows of Nottingham was situated where the entrance to the Church Cemetery now stands.

The condemned person was transported in the back of a cart from the town to Gallows Hill to meet their fate. One man on his way up the hill was offered a last drink at the Nags Head public house on Mansfield Road.(as was the custom for all prisoners).

nags_headp74.jpg

The man who was distraught,declined the offer saying he just wanted the deed over with. Just as the man had stopped swinging on the end of the rope and the crowd had started dispersing, a messenger came galloping up from the town

with a reprieve for the unfortunate fellow.

One man on his way up the hill was offered a last drink at the Nags Head public house on Mansfield Road.(as was the custom for all prisoner

The man who was distraught,declined the offer saying he just wanted the deed over with. Just as the man One man on his way up the hill was offered a last drink at the Nags Head public house on Mansfield Road.(as was the custom for all prisoners)

The man who was distraught,declined the offer saying he just wanted the deed over with. Just as the man had stopped swinging on the end of the rope and the crowd had started dispersing, a messenger came galloping up from the town

with a reprieve for the unfortunate fellow. had stopped swinging on the end of the rope and the crowd had started dispersing, a messenger came galloping up from the town

with a reprieve for the unfortunate fellow

:D And the moral of the story when they shout last orders get another one in because you never know, that one could save your life :D

Or..."DRINK NOTTINGHAM ALE AND YOU WILL LIVE LONGER. I wonder if it would be a pint of Shippo's

Does anyone know what Year Shippos started?

1852. thats 100 years before I was born :Shock:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nottingham/entertainm...hipstones.shtml

I can still taste the best bitter ever made in Nottingham. HB was too sweet for my palette as was HH, although I do like the HH Old Trip - sadly no more.

The old Shipstones Social Club on Radford Road, now the Horse & Groom is a really nice boozer with excellent beer and great food.

http://www.horseandgroombasford.com/

Until recently, (they moved out) I used to look over the Air Conditioning in the offices of Scottish & Newcastle in the old Shippo's factory. Sad day when it all closed. My brother in law, when he was at University years ago (retired now) got a part time job at shippo's during the Christmas period. His job was to be a BEER TASTER ! - pissed every day for a fortnight. :victory:

The last public hanging took place in 1861, just outside Shire Hall, Darker I think his name was.

Interesting to note that Jewish folk were hung on Shakespeare St...near where the synagogue is now.

The last public hanging in Nottingham was on 10th August 1864 outside the Shirehall. I am quite familiar with this case as he murdered his parents very close to where I live. The condemned man Richard Parker's scratched  his initials on the wall in the excercise yard at the Shirehall which you can still see today if you go to the galleries of justice. He was also buried beneath the yard there. A judge does an excellent talk on the murder occasionally for local history groups.

Somewhat off-topic but, I think I read somewhere (during my Christmas visit to the UK) that the Shakespeare St. synagogue had closed and was up for sale, is that correct? I went to a couple of weddings there way back in the '60's.

Don't know why I remember this but the Rabbi at that time was Rabbi Posen. Anyone have any memories of him?

It's been obtained by Trent university (Jan 2017) to be altered and used for degree and other award ceremonies. A rebuilt rear extension is planned to be used as a music centre. This from the Nottingham Post.

There is a thread about the Synagogue Jonab....somewhere.

Thanks for that Letsavagoo, apparently Parker was a violent and aggressive man at 29 and declared bankrupt.

His Father, Samuel age 66- was a cottager and they lived at Fiskerton. Richard Parker had a drunken row,shot his Father,step mother ( a lot younger) Elizabeth.... His Father survived the shooting,but parker was found guilty of murder and hanged on the 10 the August in front of shire hall 10,000 ( more than Notts) attended. Parker learnt his trade as a butcher in Sneinton and was born in Thurgaton.

• Like 2

Just finished reading "Saville's Spinney: True Story of the Colwick Murders of 1844" by Mike Sheridan, who I believe used to post on here (maybe still does).

Very enjoyable, very readable for a history book and well worth the 2 quid or so it costs to download from Amazon Kindle. Quite lengthy and has verbatim witness testimony.

Don't forget this was the last public hanging..they continued out the back, in the yard until 1877.

I'll dig up some info on the most notorious shire hall execution.

William Saville hanging.

William was born into a life of poverty and his Mother died when he was two , so he and his siblings were left with a drunken violent Father.

He would often go off for days drinking and abandon and leave the kids starving and living in rags. William spent time in Basford Workhouse ( location?) but he turned out just like his Dad - he was born in 1815, a native of Arnold but brought up in Blidworth and Bestwood, he jobbed as a farm labourer and then worked in a stocking frame where he met his future Wife.

He married Ann Ward,who had a illegitimate child before William knew her.

They wed in Sneinton in 1835 and by 1844 they had 3 children, they moved to Radford, separated but got back together and flitted between ,South well, Derby and Sneinton.

In 1844 in Colwick Woods he murdered his wife and 3 kids by slitting their throats. This resulted in his execution on 7th August ,1844 at 8am.

Such was the public disgust,a huge attendance was there, a stampede of the crowd resulted in many injured- 21 deaths....12 of them children.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, jonab said:

Somewhat off-topic but, I think I read somewhere (during my Christmas visit to the UK) that the Shakespeare St. synagogue had closed and was up for sale, is that correct? I went to a couple of weddings there way back in the '60's.

Don't know why I remember this but the Rabbi at that time was Rabbi Posen. Anyone have any memories of him?

I don't remember the Rabbi, but, like you I went to a wedding there in the 60s.  Probably just missed you.  The bride was a friend of my late wife's.  Interesting experience though I didn't understand most of the symbolism at the time.

Saville never admitted killing his children. Said his wife did it whilst he had gone some distance away to have a pee - she certainly was a desparate lady by this time. He did own up to killing her in a rage when he saw what she’d done and quite accepted his fate. Very little blood on his clothing, just a few small spots on his trousers. Declined to give a speech from the scaffold, as was his right, saying that they wouldn’t believe him.

Mmmm... who knows?

Indeed,but the boy witness above in a nearby tree saw different?

Maybe somebody has more info?

Wonder if that famed Pierrepoint fella ever came to Nottm?

I heard or read somewhere that Albert Pierrepont stayed on Burlington Road in Sherwood when doing his hangman duties in Nottingham.   

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks Lizzie,according to sources Albert never performed at Nottm...nearest was Leicester and Lincoln. As regards the victims of the crush at Savilles hanging, one was a brave young man from Bulwell aged just 22.

He was the son of a Bulwell publican- James Fisher tried to cover fallen people with his own body,he was successful in saving 2 children and was rescuing a 3rd when he in turn was trodden down and killed.

Bulwell Bravery!!

• Like 2

Oh ok, someone told me a fib or maybe it was another hangman who popped by now and again, when required.    

Albert Pierrepont  was noted to have executed 688 condemned men & women during his time as Britain's senior hangman.

Hangmen & their assistant had to report to the prison on the afternoon before an execution. Being confined themselves to the prison until the execution was over.

They were not allowed to lodge or stay anywhere else.

One assistant hangman was Syd Dernley from Mansfield Woodhouse who  assisted Pierrepont a number of times.

2 books worth reading are "Executioner Pierrepont" & a "Hangman's Tale" by Syd Dernley which I've just finished reading !

• Like 1

Albert was quite prolific, he also travelled to Germany to execute people for war crimes.

His most famous hanging being  Ruth Ellis.

Why Jewish people were hung on Shakespeare Street?...well the only answer I could find was " they were not allowed to be hung on Christian gallows".

• Like 1