Nice one Red - but I had to turn me 'puter upside down to see it compusmash

How much did the ride cost?

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have posted these before - but here are some early 20th century postcards of the Market Square:

wasn't there a time in the past that nottingham was known as the queen of the midlands, well the bloody crown has slipped a bit, now on me own have had the chance to go to Nottingham, looked up the ol

And to keep the theme going....a fairly close-up view of the Exchange; demolished to make way for the Council House.

How much did the ride cost?

It's five quid accordin t' web page!

• 4 weeks later...

Just a couple from the 'eye' (I got carried away and took 95!!!!) great views (And as Nick said you could do without the stupid commentary especially if you ain't got a clue who they are) But it's well worth a fiver (We went round 7 times in all)

MotheringSunday044.jpg

MotheringSunday045.jpg

MotheringSunday049.jpg

MotheringSunday060.jpg

MotheringSunday082.jpg

• 11 months later...
You can see the tree on this Live webcam in Nottingham's Old Market Square from 8am until 6pm

http://www.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/www/marketsquare/webcam.asp

Great link Nick .Weird to think I was standing there on Saturday

(P.S. I just watched it for 2 mins updating it myself every few seconds and none of the workmen moved other people did so I could tell it was live!!!!!!!!!)

Well done to CLINT on Nottingham's market squares live web cam .

marketsquarewebcam.jpg

that's brill,,,,, if I read it right,,,,, is that 10:00 at night ? It do say up to 8:00p.m.

are there any more around Nottingham ?

if I can't make it up there soon, at least I can show my boy sommat..

Baz

If anyone's interested, here is a link to Penzance webcam (in fact, even if no one is interested,,,, here is the link,,,,)

http://www.simonrodda.com/netcams/8000/index.html

1/ Penzance main street (Market Jew Street). The 'famous' Penzance railway station is on the left. The illuminated sign says "Ross Bridge Closed". There is a small wet/dry dock along the prom. The prom leads to Newlyn, Mousehole & Lands End,,,,, so tis a bit of a bind when this is closed. It closes when they need to get a ship in & out of the dock etc,,,, but it's closed for 4/6 weeks now, for repairs.

2/ Mounts Bay. This is from just to the side of the Station, panning across the 'Bay' to St Michaels Mount & Marazion. Incy Dentally, there is a very sinilar mount in France called Mont St Michel. The Lizard is just out of shot to the right.

Don't know where the white stuff came from,,,,,,, tis a bit alien to us,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

!clapping! Slab square when it had character, & characters...........anyone recall Albert Brown, frequented Yates's Wine Lodge? Not a personal friend of mine!! but each to their own, as they say !rotfl!

• Upvote 1

I do believe there were those who objected just as vehemently to that version when it was constructed! I think that the moniker "slab square" was not intended to be complimentary!

Perhaps, in fifty years time, our successors will be lamenting the loss of the current version?

I walked across the square today.

It has turned into 'Tent City'

There are a load of protesters camped on it!

Tents set to move as protest continues

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/Tents-set-protest-continues/story-13631332-detail/story.html

3272100.png

Yes going back before it was "Slab Square" there used to be markets held there, they were moved to Sneinton and the one between Huntingdon Street and Parliament Street. There are photos of the old Market Square in Nottingham 1897-1947 book.

• 1 month later...

Have to say this year's Christmas Market in the square and thereabouts is a real turn-off. Not much Christmas about it, more like Goose Fair with artificial snow. The huge ride in the middle of the square completely detracts from the atmosphere which was previously provided by the skating rink. On the plus side, the Swedish Briska perry in the 'Narnia'-type bar is very good - at a price of £3.80 a pint though (yowch!)

What a colourful jumble the above photograph compared with the black and white ones previous - especially Cliff Ton's photograph that looks like it's from the 50's. How interesting this is.

The sophisticated shops: the classy 'Dolcis Shoes' and the memory of 'Griffin and Spalding', Lyons Tea Shop tucked somewhere amongst the buildings.

The double-decker buses; the number 32 ran from here and took me up the long and winding Woodborough Road to visit my grandma on Wells Road, Mapperley (it seemed like another land).

Note the famous 'Mikado Cafe'. During the 1950's one well-known Nottingham clippie, name of Hazel Nutt would meet her friends from the Nottm. City Transport Dept in here every Saturday morning. They'd wear their best clothes - she told me - and sit at the window, sup their coffee and take the scene!

• 2 months later...

!clapping! Slab square when it had character, & characters...........anyone recall Albert Brown, frequented Yates's Wine Lodge? Not a personal friend of mine!! but each to their own, as they say !rotfl!

I remember Albert Brown, and Tug Wilson always seemed to be standing at the police box outside Yates, my mum used to tell us that if we didn't behave then a policeman would come and fetch us away and Tug was so huge (well he was when I was a kid) that if he even glanced in my direction I got a guilty conscience!!

ah yeh old slab square it had to be the sest and so many memories for so many of us every one you had to meet in town it was always somewere in the square, i remember on more than one occation arranging to meet guys on each corner of the square and then ridind all the way round the square on sombodys bike and waving bye bye to them then off down the hart for the night, yeh not nice but fun at the time. albert brown often did my hair for me before i went out for the night 10 mins flat and he would stlye and pinn it up for me always had a pocket full of hairgrips and a little spray bottle of hair lacourand the stories he would tell you while he was doing your hair were amazing , he always said certain people paid him not to publish is memories and he made a lot more than if he had wrote the book and it was a best seller, now he was a real nottingham chatecter if ever there was one.always liked tug wilson firm but fairand had a goodsense of humore too once you got to know him, and in the 60s all the other different charecters that used to congrgate in the square mods ,rockers ,hippies , hells angels, the black guys and gels who all used to come down from the ad lib at the end of the night singing , all the mowtown ans northern soul music oh those were the days and nights ofcourse,

• Upvote 1

Morning Babs, so true that all of us used the square as a meeting point......the mods, rockers, hippies and all!!!!! Never any trouble and all in the headiness of youth..how many of us had that first date, meeting at the left lion...and why was it always the left one ?

We don't go into the city much nowadays but when we do it's usualy a tram from Phoenix Park to Slab Square, first place I always look at is The Bell, while ever its there you are reminded of old Nottingham. Great Porterhouse steak there back in the sixties, sometimes on pay night (fridays) I would go down straight from work on the Albany and have one.