• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have posted these before - but here are some early 20th century postcards of the Market Square:

wasn't there a time in the past that nottingham was known as the queen of the midlands, well the bloody crown has slipped a bit, now on me own have had the chance to go to Nottingham, looked up the ol

And to keep the theme going....a fairly close-up view of the Exchange; demolished to make way for the Council House.

Taxi Ray, splendid views of Long Row @ #118 (my guess is that the time is: late 40's, early 50's) and #119, the 'Bell Inn' (late Victorian?); both of such valuable, historic interest. Thankyou.

Not forgetting the little gems @ #102, #103 of Fynger's and Cliff Ton's.

I'm writing a story at present set in the 1950's; you've no idea how much these images help. :)

i can remember toilets late 50swhen still at junior school and definitly in the sixtis so got to be late 40s to mid 50s me thinks

Wonder where they all went in the old days when there were hundreds of market stalls and thousands of shoppers?

That could take a bit of research Cliff ton... hellothere

proberly used all the local pubs round the square plenty of um in them days.
  • 4 weeks later...

That's when the area between the shops and Parliament street was known as 'The Rookery' a mass of slum housing,yards and tenements.

Pretty obvious why they called it Long Row in those days.

• 8 months later...

mick not much wrong with old market square apart from the fact that not very acsesable for prams and wheel chairs but afew good ramps cocould have rectified that a lot cheaper too

bye the way have just had to go to regent st as we past the top pg maid marian way clanced down at the square noticed what looked like tents and stall anybody know whats going on .

• 1 year later...

as a teenager, about 17yrs, i joined the hippie group we used to laze away the days in the market square in the early sixties, nothing but flower beds, pigeons and pretty girls, it was said then that the nottingham market sq was the best in europe, like places such as Black Boy Hotel, Victoria Station etc. theres never improvement on original just interfering and creating rubbish, councils eh, like wives, cant live wi em cant kill em.

• Upvote 1