I think I heard them over the Carlton side of Mapperley Top but too many tall trees around here to see anything, should have gone into the middle of town I suppose.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Equality Act 2010 Ben !   Steady on a bit youth, women will want the vote next !

The last surviving female spitfire pilot Mary Ellis dies at 101, I doff my cap R.I.P.    Well worth a read.   http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5993993/Last-Spitfire-girls-Ma

Those were very brave women,  many of them on the receiving end of abuse from their male counterparts. There was a fascinating tv programme made about them some years ago but there are now very few le

• 2 years later...

Those were very brave women,  many of them on the receiving end of abuse from their male counterparts. There was a fascinating tv programme made about them some years ago but there are now very few left.

• Like 3

Abuse to women was/is terrible......Physical and mental.......saw the news yesterday a woman was even turned down by the High Court for a Divorce,,she did'nt want to be married to her spouse that should be reason enough......

I remember in the 60s when wage rates for the same job were advertised lower for women,than men,don't know when that ended ?........

• Like 3

Mary was an extremely brave and talented lady, those ladies flew through the sky's of a war ravaged Britain with no ammo in their guns.

I do remember one tale she told of delivering a Wellington bomber, on arrival she climbed out only to be asked "where's the pilot?" When she told them she was and flew on her own they did not believe her and searched the plane.

RIP Mary fly free and fast.......................

• Like 2

My sister-in-law’s mother-in-law (do you follow that?) did the same job as Mary Ellis.  I never met her as she passed away many years ago but she was apparently quite a character, just like Mary.  It takes a very special woman to do that work, in what was really quite early days of aviation.  Heroes all of them. 

• Like 2

Yes, I think it was only when Amy Johnson went missing in fog over the Thames estuary that folk realized what a lonely, dangerous job they did, and did so well.

RIP Mary the last of the 'other Few'. 

• 4 years later...

A Spitfire has just flown over and landed at RAF Syerston. It’s G-RRGN, the Rolls Royce owned one based at EMA. It’s a later one with the Griffon engine. It’s airshow day this afternoon but there’s a low cloud base so we might see some exciting low level flying.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Spitfire

Perhaps a Spitfire will shoot it down, thinking it's a target plane.

W.W., Were those clips taken at this years Eastbourne show? Recognised Beachy Head lighthouse.

What a pity you've no video camera Phil. But many thanks for the running commentary. Almost like being there. B.