• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Old Market Square , Nottingham c1960s

King Edward Street, Nottingham 1976 Former site of Central Market after it moved into the Victoria Centre & was being used as temporary parking for the Nottingham City Transport buses Ph

Looks like the word & song players have woke up bored to death, here have something Nottingham.  Have a good day, try & get yourselves outside today, it's later than you think    

There was a number 2 which, supposedly, ran along Gregory Boulevard and passed the Manning but it was no good relying on it because the damned thing either never turned up at all or was late! So, I used to walk instead. There was always a queue for that bus, mainly adults presumably going to work. Manning girls had more sense than to risk it due to the sanctions imposed on latecomers! I don't know where the 2 went after reaching the end of Gregory Boulevard. Outer space, perhaps, because it took a month of Sundays to reach the start of Gregory Boulevard again!

26 minutes ago, catfan said:

the crews on those knew how to dodge work,all being usually on the old timers sick, lazy & idle rota !

Sounds about right. I don't think it was scheduled to run very often anyway but certainly didn't turn up as often as it was scheduled! :angry:

5 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

There was a number 2 which, supposedly, ran along Gregory Boulevard and passed the Manning but it was no good relying on it because the damned thing either never turned up at all or was late! So, I used to walk instead. There was always a queue for that bus, mainly adults presumably going to work. Manning girls had more sense than to risk it due to the sanctions imposed on latecomers! I don't know where the 2 went after reaching the end of Gregory Boulevard. Outer space, perhaps, because it took a month of Sundays to reach the start of Gregory Boulevard again!

My dad and I used to catch the number 2 service on Saturdays to go to the football. Sometimes it was single decker! It was often late and if we missed it we'd walk up Noel St by the side of the Forest and catch it when it came along Bentinck Rd onto Mount Horton Rd.

• 2 weeks later...

Aah the No2, it was one of those oddity routes like the 8, 26 and 51that ran only once in a blue moon.

If I remember correctly it was a weekdays only service leaving Goldsmith St at 8.20am for Waverley St, Mount Hooton, Gregory Boulevard, Hucknall Road and Valley Road. There was a return service in the afternoon at about 4pm.

I'd rather walk home and  get soaked to the skin on a sleeting February night that get on that !

• Like 3

A good imagination is all that is required, if I defect a bus because the brakes don't feel quite right,then no one will argue !  smile2

It's all a matter of opinion.

My favourite was in wet or looking like rain weather was to short out the terminals on the cab wiper motor with a key , instant fuse blown & no wiper. You can't drive with no wipers can you ?

I once had an inspector board my bus in town & he noticed that the fire extinguisher was missing, nice bus but he insisted I get a change, too easy to have an extinguisher sent out instead change the bus & on a Sunday at your own peril (PSD) changemen !

Having said all that I can honestly say that NCT were top on bus fitness. Report a defect & it's fixed before it goes back on the road again.

All craftmen engineers no bodgers. I can't say the same thing for some haulage companies I have worked for.......

• Like 1