• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not a very good picture, from 1949, Brough factory under the blue indicator Cooper Bros to the right against the railway. Don't know if Brough were still there at this time or whether they'd mo

That's the one I recall.

Boing! There's a new Brough being brought out soon, although the only things it has in common are the name and the number of wheels. What is interesting, though, is that they have put together a his

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I well remember going up that path to the left on the way home from Mellish to catch the train to Daybrook Station. A four minute journey! As for the George Brough factory on Haydn Road I was instrumental in the demolition of that one and even the modern warehouse I replaced it with has now been demolished for houses.

• 5 years later...

C1964 I called on Brough Eng in my position as a special steel rep. They were not building motor bikes and just doing general engineering and a bit run down. My reports said 'no potential'.

I can remember my brothers talking about Brough. One of them did his engineering apprenticeship and quals at BSA in Birmingham and then went on to have his own garage Route 66 in Stoke. Sadly he is no longer with us but always was greased up with oil. He was once on his way to a wedding and stopped en route to help someone who had broken down. You can guess what state he turned up at the wedding like, bless him.

• 1 year later...

My company used to own George Brough's Haydn Rd. factory which I subsequently demolished to build an modern warehouse. We did have a visit from the Brough owner's club prior to demolition. There are houses on the site now. It was opposite Quorn Rd. and the Meridian games field. 

• Like 1

I only ever recall being conscious of the factory on Vernon Rd. It was easily seen due to the company name painted on the roof. I never 'clocked' the Haydn Rd works, but unsurprising as I rarely needed to go along that section between Hucknall Rd and Nottm Rd.

Did they ever 'co-exist' or was one a replacement for the other?

My Mum worked at one or the other during WW2, though I don't think she lasted long due to being unable to cope with night shifts. She'd be 16 in 1939. I think she said it was 'munitions' work. What she described sounds like 'Turret', or 'Capstan' Lathe work.

For the uninitiated, and according to my fairly scant knowledge, both Capstan and Turret lathes are used for 'batch' or 'mass' production of components. They need to be set up by a skilled person, but once set up, can be used by a semi skilled operative, to perform several actions on one piece of material (usually metal) which are in effect 'mechanically programmed' into the machine.. to produce a component.

P.S. It seems to me that both Brough and Vincent motorcycles suffered from the general increase in car ownership. Basically, if you could afford a 'premium' bike like a Brough or Vincent, then you could probably afford a second hand car. As such, the wealthier population switched from 'premium bikes', to cars and bike users generally became younger 'enthusiasts', rather than just users from 'necessity'.

I think it might also be the case that as beautifully engineered as the Broughs and Vincents were.. they didn't keep up technologically and couldn't compete with the sales of the likes of Triumph, Norton, BSA and AJS, whose success on the race track promoted sales to the 'Boy Racers'

I think it probably co existed with the site on Vernon Rd. There was another factory on Greasley St. I believe Spitfire engines were built at the Haydn Rd. site during the war. As I recollect it occupied around 4000 sq. ft.

Looking at the aerial view we also owned the semi detached houses to the left of the picture fronting Haydn Rd. The houses in the centre were demolished and turned into a parking area. I only found out subsequently we should have applied for planning permission to do that! 

• Like 1