Were you at Berridge?

On 8/21/2020 at 12:33 PM, Jill Sparrow said:

Letsavagoo has gathered an interesting cache of Berridge photos, many going back to the early 50s.

I wanted to start with this one because it was posted on another site by someone whose older brother was with me right through Berridge. He was Gary Walker and his younger brother was Dean. I remember Dean in his pram!  Ain't I old?

Dean was born in 1962 which means he started Berridge in 1967. He said he thought this photo was around 1968. When I first saw it, I thought the teacher could be Kathleen MacDonald who married fellow teacher, Alan Parr.  

On closer inspection, it isn't. This can't be 1968 as I was still at Berridge then and I don't recognise the teacher. Secondly, Dean is on this photo and if it was 1968, he would only be 6 years old.  These are junior aged pupils. My guess would be 1972ish.

Someone who could help here is MD. He might even be on it!  I can't name any of the pupils but perhaps he can.

I cant place anyone on that photo. I was certainly at Berridge in 1968 but possibly not my class.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Through this door...and it's the original, although painted black in my day...I walked with my mum one cold morning early in 1962. I was just 4 years old. The door led to Miss Smith's office and my mu

How many Berridge children have secreted themselves inside this niche situated in the playground which fronts the old infant building, hoping to be left behind when the bell rang at playtime's close?

Lovely visit to Berridge yesterday and nice to put faces to names. Planning a few things I could talk to the children about and sort out my school photos it made me realise that it was 59 years since

Posted Images

Taken in the playground at the corner of Berridge Road with Brushfield Street. The building in the background was the house where the caretaker lived hence the net curtains. The infant school to the right and the ‘main’ school the tall building in the background between the two.

0258-D861-CC94-4562-BFE2-1-AF79101-BDEB.

The date of the above image is the end of the summer term, 1956, just before these pupils left Berridge.  The original poster, under her married name, was Glennys Wells. She explained that the photographer was a teacher who took the opportunity to record the group together for the last time.

As letsavagoo says, this is the playground area accessed by the green wooden gate on the corner of Berridge Road and Brushfield Street.  The long windows to the right of the shot are those of the classroom occupied by Miss Hilda Smith who taught final year infants for many years. The smaller windows of the flat roofed section are those of the cloakroom.

A notable feature of those pictured is that virtually all appear to be wearing uniform. In my day, no one did.

Taken at the same time as the previous, more populated, photo in July 1956. This shows, 

Back row: Glennys Wells,  Timothy Krafts, Lesley Harriman.

Front row: Peter Harrison, Sylvia Robinson and Marion Place.

I didn't go to Berridge, but my grandparents lived nearby and we often visited them, so I knew the area without being aware of the school.

It's quite possible I could've passed several Nottstalgia ex-Berridgeans in the street in the first half of the 1960s.

Another who DIDN'T go to Berridge, although the thread is interesting anyway.

I went to ArnoVale, so that looks like 2  3 in the "I went to ArnoVale and not Berridge" section of the non-Berridge old boys/girls association!

23 minutes ago, Stuart.C said:

Another who DIDN'T go to Berridge, although the thread is interesting anyway.

I went to ArnoVale, so that looks like 2 in the "I went to ArnoVale and not Berridge" section of the non-Berridge old boys/girls association!

Make that 3!

• Like 1

Did'nt go to Berridge,,but played football and cricket against them,,and i can't for the life of me remember where their ground was,,,anyone enlighten me,,perhaps Letsavagoo''?..........also Letsavagoo you may remember a lad who went to Berridge in the late 50s,,Captain of their Football and Cricket teams,,he also played for Nottingham Boys his surname was Gregg,,,his photo is on the Nottingham boys thread..........think he became a Copper ,not sure.....................

Benjamin. in the late 40's and early 50's we had a football pitch on the Nutall Rd annex. We played some matches on the Forest. We never seemed to do very well. Maybe cos I was not selected :rolleyes: I played cricket for the school though.

• Like 1

Thanks PP....YES i think we always beat you....lol,,,could have been on the Forest,,i remember playing against Huntington street on there,,,,one Sat morning on a rock hard frozen pitch,,and ripping my knee open on the hard ground.........would'nt happen nowadays,,,games cancelled if its too cold never mind freezing.....

• Like 1
1 hour ago, benjamin1945 said:

Did'nt go to Berridge,,but played football and cricket against them,,and i can't for the life of me remember where their ground was,,,anyone enlighten me,,perhaps Letsavagoo''?..........also Letsavagoo you may remember a lad who went to Berridge in the late 50s,,Captain of their Football and Cricket teams,,he also played for Nottingham Boys his surname was Gregg,,,his photo is on the Nottingham boys thread..........think he became a Copper ,not sure.....................

I only ever played football for Berridge at the Nuthall Road ground which was opposite the Whitemore pub or very nearly. I was rubbish at football but excelled in Rugby and Rowing at secondary school. I dont know a 'Greg' from either school or police. I didn't start infants until 1959 so perhaps out of my timeframe. 

• Like 1

I didn't go there either but had 2 cousins who lived on Berridge Rd and I assume went there. I look out for them on them photos  Bill and Jim Whitlam.