School Uniform Shops 1950/60s

I was just thinking about my granddaughter starting back to school in September here in W-ton, and taking my daughter to get the new uniform to start back with. I was trying to remember where my mam would have brought ours from for All Hallows and Gedling Secondary Modern In the 50/60s.With never having to buy my children's uniform in Nottingham i have no idea where mam would have got ours from. Can anyone enlighten me.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Jill, we were walking around a swap meet (mostly tat market!) this morning and there was 1 fella on his lonesome wearing saffron robes. Made me think of both you and Chulla!

We are born male or female!  That's it!  I don't care what we might think we are, or what some PC idiot tries to persuade us that we are.   Putting on a skirt will not change that.  Just mak

The only reason we are here is to pro-create,to carry on the species so what useful purpose do homosexuals serve? they have even corrupted the English language,years ago the word "Gay" meant happy,jol

I can't really remember going to any particular outfitters .......maybe the blazers and ties for Gedling Sec Mod were ordered through the school....or was it just the badges ?

Thinking on, what years were you there? Both my older brother and my sister were at Gedling. My brother was head boy at Gedling in 1964, and my sister was a couple of years behind.

I'm pretty sure my mam got my uniform from either Roughton's on Derby Rd, or the big Co-op. That's where she had coupons to spend, then pay on the never-never. My uniform was very basic though, navy gymslip in the juniors, skirt in the seniors, blue blouse and navy V-neck jumper, navy gabardine mac and blazer. Blue check dress in the summer. I'm sure she could have got these anywhere, including C&A?

Rob.L ref #5 ,

He must have been a year older than me . I was there through the early 60s but can't remember any of the previous head boys or girls I'm afraid .

My mum used to get my gear from D & P first, then the Co op in town.

What was your sisters name Rob L ? I was there early 60's, left in 63.

Maybe pm me if you do not wish to name here.

Vague memory of my parents buying my school uniforms at Redmayne and Todds on Carrington Street. Mind you that was in the 1950's. There used to be a super Army and Navy store next door, that sold all sorts of interesting things.

It was D & P's for me. No one else stocked our uniform, except the school itself, that I know of. When we got to the 6th form the girls were given grey material and expected to make their own skirt, and the same for the summer dress, material and make your own in whatever style you wished.

Hi #5

I was at All Hallows from 1953 / 59.Can you remember Miss Smith in the first class, and the two dolly mixtures she gave us all for being good and the little sleep, where we had to rest our heads on our arms for ten minutes,and peeping to see who else was cheating.

I was at Gedling Secondary modern from 1959/63, in G1 all the way through, i'm sad to say i went a bit haywire in my early teens and wasted my learning years, I was told i would be sorry and they were right. :tease: I may not be clever but i hope i am caring and compassionate.

One thing that has always been a problem for me is the little ditty, I before E except after C, It isn't always so, for example bieng or being, I remember it from infants school and it has caused a problem all my life. i say the ditty and still get it wrong. I have looked it up and the explanation is to complicated for me to take in at this age.

Back to Uniforms, Thanks for the suggestions, i am sure it would have been one of them, perhaps mam fetched them while we were at school.

When I started at Chandos St in 58' the uniform of grey flannels and black blazer was widely available, but I still had to get a bus (Trent or Trolley) to town, get off at Flittermans Corner cross the road to the shop opposite (name escapes me) because they were the only place that would take Provi cheques. Remember them.?

I remember the Provi cheques, My dad was very ill at one point and they saved the day quite often, I still used them myself when i first got married and money was short. Lots of interest to pay but when some thing was needed urgently, they were a god send, such a help.

Anyone remember a local Cheque trading firm, City and Suburban Supply Company? They had their office on Mansfield Road, just below Bullimore and Parker, the "Gents Outfitters".

When I started work in 1963 at an Insurance Company, City and Suburban arranged a lot of motor Insurance for their customers on the weekly card basis, think the charge was 1 shilling per pound borrowed.

I don't think they have been mentioned before, apologies if I am wrong as I did a search first, but does anyboby remember Steeples in Daybrook Square. I remember getting my Redhill School Blazer there. In August1977

Was there another branch of Steeples, as I remember the name, but never went to Daybrook?. Flitterman's is an old name I'd forgotten about. Dixon and Parker threw me for a minute, I'm thinking, they didn't sell clothes, then remembered that I'm thinking of Sisson and Parker round the corner. I got my dad's stationary from there, also another stationers at the top of Hockley, name eludes me right now. Help anyone?

Pullmans on Parliament St., opposite side of the road to Hockley & Barker Gate. They did School Uniforms. By the way Carni, was 'Willo' still the headmaster when you went to All Hallows?

Thanks Cliff Ton, Bells it is. Dad had his own signwriting business and needed paperwork for records, taxes I expect, so went in there for him.

#22,Yes i believe he was, he must have lived in the village or local, because if ever we passed him in the street with mam he always touched the side of his head as a gesture,i suppose that was posh for aahdoo. Did you go to All Hallows as well, we lived on Hardy's Drive until 1959 and then moved up to Concrete Canyon, and on to Gedling Comprehensive.

• 3 years later...