What Have they done to our Junk Food

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gym..... No way. I'm not in to self abuse. I do lots of walking, haven't smoked for over 30 years, and even then it was only to be sociable, don't drink much nowadays, maybe a pint bottle, but mostly

I could have posted a very similar comment as you Jill.  My Mum disliked cooking but we were always well fed.  However she made excellent pastry and the best Yorkshire Puddings this side of Doncaster.

I can guarantee 100% Chulla that I would not touch that burger in a million years. I would have to be grovelling with starvation to eat some thing that looks so unhealthy as that. All those fried onio

After my wife became ill she's been trying to eat the foods that are good for her cancer, which I mentioned on the

'Hospital Visit' thread. What I've found though is that if you want to eat healthily the food is far more expensive than normal.

I went to the supermarket to buy some organic chicken. What I found was three small slices of organic chicken in a sealed package.

For an extra pound you could buy a large, normal, whole chicken which were on the next shelf. It's the same with other kinds of these foods and it's a complete rip off.

Organic animal feed is considerably more expensive. I found that when I kept chickens and ducks. Therefore the end product will be dearer I'm afraid.

You are right Fly,I used to help out on an organic farm,no sprays or chemicals of any kind,when the lambs went for meat hundreds of bugs ran out of their tummies as they had eaten and drank naturally, the farmer told me that normally not a bug or beetle is seen because of pesticides.

• 9 months later...

Heart attack, stuffed arteries , obesity and diabetes....... You get what you deserve !

Quite right Fly,...........i'm constantly amazed seeing what people shove down their throats.........especially at the buffet bars on holiday....bleddy great platefulls as if someones going to get there first,then they go for seconds.........and some are even still wearing shorts and flip lops,when the sign at the door clearly states,..'evening wear only'....ive offered to work the door for the Hotel restaurant (for free) to stop the dirty greasy buggers,..the answer has always been 'oh no senor Ben,please no trouble'.............lol.

• Upvote 1

#86. For crying out loud RR, when carnie stays in Nottingham to attend the meetings she uses the hotel just around the corner from Hockley. When she sees what she can get at the Red Dog Saloon, she'll give the meeting a miss and concentrate on troughing!

I notice that the ale is from the Camden Town Brewery - that might be a magnet for Hippo Girl.:rotfl:

• Upvote 2

I do think that our tastes change as we get older and I do think our memories of food changes too. I've never been a fan of fast food or tinned food so I can't pass any judgment but I did see a tv documentry on processed food and it certainly put me off for good. Fray bentos pies had a few comments that put me in mind of our dogs tinned food. We buy Cesar and in the advert its all chunks of meat and vegetables you can see what they are, but open a can and I find 2/3 chunks the rest is mush and vegetables are just flecks of colour. Not much difference to human food in my opinion.

my mum was never a great cook but we ate fairly well at home and if I remember well the only tinned food we had was the first time we went camping through europe. Mum prepared a menu for the whole two weeks and bought tins of beans , meat pies etc. The only thing we had to buy was bread and milk.

I got so fed up with tinned food after that. Don't get me wrong there are some things that I buy that are " fast food"or in tins. I don't think you can get by without them. I'm glad we live where we do as there is so much fresh food available and is so cheap. 

Just thinking about it, that freezers have only become popular in the last 20 - 30 yrs and some people will never ever buy them as they don't think food tastes the same.

My tastes in food have changed over the years. I'm not vegetarian or vegan but I don't eat red meat.

I eat a lot of chicken and fish. Pasta and rice goes without saying and recently I've found a mix of either 5 or 3 cerials and mixed with raw or cooked mixed veg with a dressing of evo are really delicious and filling.

. I feel healthy and dr and oncologist agree with me that the mediterraen diet is good.

Think I'd better stop now , sounds like I'm giving you all a lecture.

• Upvote 3

I think NonnaB talks a lot of sense where food is concerned. Too many people today eat what can only be described as rubbish food which is full of chemicals and has virtually no nutrients. You only have to look at the supermarket trolleys of people who are clearly obese to see the reasons why. Coca-Cola, crisps, cakes biscuits, chocolate, sweets, high fat foods and items that are full of sugar. It's not going to do them any good and yet there is enough health publicity around to alert them to the fact that what they are doing is potentially dangerous and may well shorten their lives significantly.

I am a vegetarian and have not eaten meat since 1978. Even as a child, I didn't like eating meat but I was brought up in an omnivorous family and my parents were sensible enough not to allow their children to pick and choose what they wanted to eat at meal times. For many years, I didn't eat fish either but I have started eating this again in recent years so, technically, I'm not a vegetarian but a piscatarian! I really have heard all the jokes before, honestly!

Even if you do eat healthy food, unless it is organic, which costs the earth, then you still have no idea what sort of chemicals have been used on it. If you have an allotment and grow your own vegetables, when you dig them up they will be full of bugs and insects because the bugs and insects consider the produce good to eat. If you buy your produce from supermarket, you won't find any bugs or insects in it whatsoever, which is a bit worrying and even more worrying is the amount of plastic shrink wrap and cling film that everything seems to be packaged in these days. As for the plastic bottles which people tend to refill with water,  I understand from a friend in the Medical Profession these have been linked to dangerous levels of synthetic hormones. I prefer, if I can, to buy anything that I want to drink in a glass bottle as opposed to plastic but  they aren't easy to find.

I have a colleague who smokes like a chimney, drinks like a fish, lives on Kentucky Fried Chicken and MacDonald's fare. He freely admits that he would not touch vegetables or salad or anything remotely healthy and, since early childhood, has refused to eat anything along these lines. He is a bit of a hypochondriac but is rarely ill, so it does make you wonder if, at the end of the day, it's all down to genetics.

• Upvote 3

I can guarantee 100% Chulla that I would not touch that burger in a million years. I would have to be grovelling with starvation to eat some thing that looks so unhealthy as that. All those fried onions dripping with oil, Beef that has probabably never seen a moo cow, coleslaw full of heart unhealthy mayonnaise and deep fried chips. No! No! No way would I indulge........

OH go on then, add a dollop of tomato sauce and I would force myself. slywink

• Upvote 4

I stay away from fast food.  I grow as much of my own veggies as I can.  It's true that the bugs can be a problem, especially as the summer progresses, but there are a few natural remedies you can make.  I've bought several books on that topic.  One of the things that really concerns me in these days is genetically modified food.  GMO's.  No one really knows for sure how this junk effects us long term, and I resent somebody pushing poison down my throat.

In these corrupt days how does one know when food is safe.  Lies seem to be epidemic in so many industries these days.  So called diet drinks sweetened with Aspertame.  Just do a little research on that topic!!!

I could really get on a rant here so I'll quit now.  Bon apetite!  Or however ya spell it. :rolleyes:

• Upvote 3

I would be the first to admit that I can't cook. My mother wasn't much of a cook either because her own mother had spoilt her and wouldn't allow her to do anything in the kitchen. The result was that when my maternal grandmother died and my mother was only 21, she had no idea how to make a simple meal and as for my grandfather, who my mother was left to look after, he didn't have a clue how to boil water. If it hadn't been for my father who mum married when she was 23, I think they would both have starved to death!

Neither did we do much in the way of cookery at school. The Manning had only one small domestic science room and each form was divided into two halves, according to their surnames, and spent one term in each of the first two years messing about with various recipes. In the autumn term of 1969, pupils with surnames beginning from A to M took the first cookery sessions and they were permitted to make a Christmas cake at the end of that year. Pupils whose surnames began with the letters from N to Z, which included me, never made a Christmas cake.

The only things I can remember making at school were poached egg on toast, mixed salad, fruit salad...and even I couldn't ruin those!...apricot crumble, Victoria sponge cake, bread plaits, chicken casserole and chocolate mousse.

My favourite was the chocolate mousse which was a delicious concoction and I regret I lost the recipe many years ago. I have always remembered it because one of the ingredients was egg whites which needed to be whisked until they were stiff. Our cookery teacher demonstrated how to do this and then each of us had to do it for ourselves by hand using a wire whisk. Our instructress was showing off by saying that when the egg whites had been sufficiently whisked, we should be able to invert the bowl without the mixture falling out and she actually demonstrated how to do this. Whisking egg whites with a wire whisk takes a long time and it was the highlight of the lesson when one of my less patient peers decided to invert the bowl over her own head and the entire contents fell out!! As ever, I was in trouble for laughing and I was also in trouble for using twice as many pots and pans as anybody else because I couldn't be bothered to wash them up as I went along.

We were never given any instruction about the nutritional value of food and the only written work we did was to jot down the recipes and the method of how to make them in a domestic science exercise book. It really wasn't considered important.

I suppose I'm one of those people who eats in order to live rather than one of those people who lives in order to eat and I'll be the first to admit that anything I've cooked and dished up looks like an explosion in a food factory. It doesn't really matter to me as long as I've actually got something to eat! :rolleyes:

• Upvote 3

Being serious. We eat  quite a healthy diet. Over the years I have become a health conscious cook. I eat nuts throughout the day, every day mainly because I just adore any kind of nut, the fact that they are good for us is a bonus. Just have to watch the amount because of the high calories.

Our fruit consumption has had to be reduced, as Hubbs is borderline Diabetic, and at one of the health courses we went on, we discovered we were eating far to much, we also developed those little white acid spots on our faces. after reducing our fruit intake they slowly stopped appearing. We are not obsessive about our diet, we do eat cakes, biscuits, chocolate but not every day. I adore Chocolate, but  I control how much I have. Every thing in moderation. 

My doctor says my Cholesterol levels are now subterranean, below 4, at the time I had the Stroke it was 7.2 I do worry about not letting it get out of control. I don't smoke or drink alcohol anymore. We cycle most days, our diet, I would say is fairly good. I think at the age most of us are at, we all have a good idea of what is good and bad for us. Everything in moderation is the way.

Obsession takes the fun out of life.

• Upvote 1