I have just been chatting about closures of the public toilets in Nottingham, and come up with this topic,sorry if its been done before.

Can any one think of any rooms or loos and walkways underground that have now been filled in or closed up.there must be so many,but because they cannot be seen anymore ,it is so easy to forget they were there once.I am sure there are many gone and forgotten.

Keeping on the subject of toilets, the obvious example is the underground ones in the Market Square.

A lot of the 1960s subways must still be waiting to be re-discovered. There were toilets (again) in the subway under Maid Marion Way near Park Row. And there was the sunken roundabout with the newsagents in the middle of Maid Marion Way at Friar Lane.

I'd forgotten about all the stuff in front of the Theatre Royal. There were some victorian toilets down there, like this.....

square-7.jpg

And then in the 1960s, there was a warren of subways - with toilets and a newsagents - which disappeared by the 80s.

It certainly make you wonder whats below you'r feet,when i moved to W-ton there were 4 subways leading from different sides of the road to the indoor market and down there, was a massive car park and toilets, all closed now and to look at the pavements you would never believe they are still there under ground.I am sure there must be a lot of hidden and forgotten interesting rooms and corridors as well as the traditional tunnels we all know about from days of old in Nottingham,we just forget because they are now unseen.

• Upvote 1

I am sure the Theatre Royal Bogs were there when I first came to Nottingham (1963)?

Embankment Bogs had fine examples of Victorian features.

• 1 month later...

I remember the Gents Toilet in front on the Theatre Royal, in the 50's I fitted a regulator to the extract fan down there. It used to blow skirts up Maralyn Monroe style, does anyone remember that?

I cannot understand how a town the size of Nottingham can ignore the need for more public toilets.If the public have to pay to help the upkeep...fair enough.The stupidity of the Arboretum is a prime example...toilets available on 'events' days only.A huge park that one could spend hours on...but no loo.How they expect the elderly and disabled to visit these places is beyond me.

• 4 years later...

I am sure I read on here that they are some sort of service tunnel. If I remember right they run up the middle of the road and there are grates you can see down.

Sure there was some light hearted discussion abut trying to get down them

• Like 2

There is a labyrinth of tunnels under the council house and slab square, mainly used now for services. And if I remember correctly, Burton's had a refrigerator in the basement that filled a cave entrance to one of the tunnels. They did spread out in a lot of directions.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:
1 hour ago, IAN123. said:

Behind the Odeon was the same.

Presumably you mean the Bromley House garden........It is now totally overshadowed by the student building which replaced the Odeon. 

Oh, I give up! Which soulless moron designed that? Totally out of place and without character!

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Oh, I give up! Which soulless moron designed that? Totally out of place and without character!

True. I went on one of the guided tours of Bromley House at the time the monstrosity was being built. You could see what effect it was going to have on the garden, and I'm not sure if I was surprised or disappointed that it had been allowed.

• Like 1

Great posts, it's posts like this why I joined the site all those years ago, keep it up

Rog

• Like 1