Why did seaside chips taste different?

I remember Maris Piper made great chips, not sure if they are available over here, I'll have to see if I can get the seed tators come spring.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know it's a long way to go but if you ever visit Weymouth, Bennett's on the waterfront do superb fish & chips. We have a chippy here in Daventry called Trawlers which takes some beating too.

Remember how back in the 60s at Goose Fair time the pubs were allowed a half hour extension to the normal 10:30 last orders deadline.  I have very fond memories of The Grosvenor in the late 60s.

Wouldn't dare ask my local butcher if he keeps dripping.

I've got to agree with compo #4 chip cooked in beef dripping were the best. Mermaid Chip Shop Front street Arnold did them in beef dripping and another chippy long since gone from Arnold can't remember the name but they were on Church Street Arnold opposite the Robin Hood and Little John

I remember the Mermaid [fromerly Hatters] very well (Loved the sit-down upstairs wiht the dumb waiter) but I don't recall one opposite Robin Hood & Little John? I rememebr teh one we lads called Joe Brown's chippie that used to stand on Front Streeet, just up from where they built Fine Fare and then a library.

Just off camping ,Barby and salad with baked taters tonight (Already cooked the taters, and they're Wiljars, just chuck 'em in the embers of the barby to warm them up and crisp the skins

Spag bol tomorrow night (already made by me and frozen)

Sunday is 'Chippy Tea' from that chip shop in Telford where I found they sold "COBS" !!

Minds perception seaside air relaxed mood and possibly combined in a decent establishment with years of turning out decent chips quickly and efficently. True mark chip shop still serve chips in paper cones even if not newspaper better then plastic trays and wooden forks not plastic gets a further tick in my book.

Run a mile from chip shop won't give you free access to salt and vinegar or as I once discovered at a chip shop in Buxton using frozen chips, that's a truly heinous crime.

I can also say Wetherspoon's on a Friday highlight my week with there Fish Friday Deal, fish and chips, mushy peas, a decent pint topped off with bread and butter for not much more then it would cost you to fetch the same meal from a chip shop and the local off licence.

No I don't work for the pub chain but being on limited budget and avid fan of plain food due to disability its the one thing that gets me through the week andwell worth waiting for.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...

Got some chips from the chippy on the corner of Beauvale road & Beauvale crescent in Hucknall & they tasted just like seaside chips used to, it's called 'seagull fish bar'. They only opened recently after the old one caught fire. I'll be going there again..

Perhaps it is something to do with seagulls that makes the difference - I won't speculate as to exactly what... :huh:

• 3 years later...

Since I've had ischemic colitis last year I can only have a few chips & have to take the batter off the fish & no (sob) mushy peas, if I cheat & have some it's mega pain & bleeding for a couple of days. SWMBO then says "was it worth it?" No it wasn't..

My favourite fish and chips are home made, Lady Christl first early spuds left in the ground for 18/20 weeks  to increase in size, fillet of hake in SWMBO's home made batter and fresh garden peas.

All I need now is beef dripping to fry it in, but it is difficult to find.

• Like 1

Had a bag of chips in Falmouth yesterday, bleddy awful too. Some were hot & some were warm, most probably warmed up left overs from the previous night. At £2.20p a bag is a rip off ! Cornwall was famous for pirates ! Seems piracy is alive & well today with ale £4.60 a pint & a cup of tea £2.20 a cup.

• Like 1
On ‎31‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 9:45 PM, NewBasfordlad said:

My favourite fish and chips are home made, Lady Christl first early spuds left in the ground for 18/20 weeks  to increase in size, fillet of hake in SWMBO's home made batter and fresh garden peas.

All I need now is beef dripping to fry it in, but it is difficult to find.

Britania beef dripping try Waitrose/Tesco/Morrisons available locally to me, maybe available  country wide.

• Like 1