Annoying Phrases

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Went into Boots for my prescription last week. There was a woman in front of me who clearly wanted something they didn't have. She kept explaining why she needed it NOW! Every sentence was punctu

Hi Guys. This topic is like well cool innit? I mean like I said to me friend when he turned round n said 'Whats happenin' n I like said 'We is  talkin about people what don't talk proper ok' n he said

@radfordred  yes I agree.  How can meat melt in your mouth!  A lot of those cooking programmes amuse me anyway when they serve those teeny little portions of carefully arranged food accompanied with a

On 2/9/2023 at 3:28 AM, David sheridan said:

I hated the phrase "Dab in"  and "make haste "  as me dear old Dad would say when sending us to run an errand. 

... or "just nip...."

• Like 1
3 hours ago, philmayfield said:

I eventually had a stand up row with the head consultant and told him to eff off, much to the embarrassment of my fellow directors. We never sought the advice of consultants again!

I remember it well! Water off a duck's back to the TQM family. 

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

Must confess it's a long time since I brainstormed. I was always right anyway. Still am!

Similar to  " yer doing my brain in "

4 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

My Days....

Piece of Kit....

You know what? followed by blank stare....

Indeed...

Wow....

......and the inappropriately use word    Awesome !!!!

On 2/8/2023 at 1:26 AM, MRS B said:

Alpha, the word “those” doesn’t feature in my husband’s vocabulary at all and it infuriates me. I never comment though as it stems back to his dreadful education, he has dyslexia which wasn’t recognised then and his parents never picked him up on grammar like I did with my own children. My father was an absolute stickler for grammar so we were corrected too which was a little annoying at the time but it worked! He has so many other great attributes that I’ve got past caring whether his grammar is correct or not. I’m lucky to have him.

My boss had dyslexia,  and often  wrote the word broken as Borken , dyslexia is akin to reading words in the mirror , they look like they are spelt backwards,  I don't know if this is a fact ,  just what I have been told.

On 7/22/2022 at 4:48 PM, MRS B said:

I worked in customer services for a local council for a year. I actually loved dealing with complaints and it was always a challenge to turn the complaint round for a positive outcome. Some people do think that punctuating their speech with bad language helps their cause and disregard the fact that you are actually trying to help them. Interesting times. 

Kudos to you working in the front line of attack and taking all the flak ,   and flannel , you deserve a medal  !

Most embarrassing story as a naive little lad of 16  green behind the ears went to work in the horseracing stables , that was me and  I regularly  got pranked for it ,

One day one of the lads sent me down the village post office and told me to get a packet of durex, I said what is that ?  Do you mean the chewing gum dentine ? 

No durex just ask for that .

Now the post master was a trifle deaf , and if you wanted a tin of peas , he'd say what sort of cheese ?

As I enter the shop there was a girl abit shy just like me , she asked me to go first to the counter ,  but I insisted saying Ladies first,  not forgetting my gentleman manners as I'd seen David niven  on the telly say it ,  very cool and handsome  film actor , anyway back to the post office , the girl reluctantly shuffled to the counter and the mutton Jeff post master  she  whispered to him  a packet of Doctor whites please , when the post master bellowed at the top of his voice DR WHOO ??? the poor girl was mortified and wish she had a Tardis to dissappear into ,

Then it was my turn and I requested the said Durex , he boomed   How old are you ? 

I said it's alright mister I only want to chew it !!!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@Beekay I hate people who question my actions !!!!

Are you a copper or something C.I.D ? 

And that is not cash on delivery spelt wrong I did go to skool that knows !

• Like 1
1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

British Standards not Bullshit- but you knew that didn't you? :biggrin:

Yes..and no..

There's a series, MY5, draining the sea, or something similar, 

covers this to a level...A Hurricane comes to mind.. 

On 2/12/2023 at 3:36 PM, benjamin1945 said:

''Just saying''........grr

Yes that gripes me as well oops there another  "that gripes me "

• Like 1