Personal Achievements

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would like to share your outlook Mercurydancer but having celebrated our 60th.anniversary options are getting a bit limited. Before taking the family out for a celebratory meal I put these photos to

Just Realised I have passed my 1000th post, taken a long while but who cares!!

For me waking up in the morning (or any other time for that matter) is an achievement.

My greatest personal achievement happened in the 70's when I won a medal for the 100 yards at Butlins, Skegness. I can hear your gasps of admiration but I promise it won't go to my head. My family and foster kids were walking around Butlins and a chap on the mike was calling for men to compete in the 100 yard race. The chap wasn't calling, he was screaming his head off, just like someone does in a club when they get hold of a mike. All the kids started to pester me to have a go but I didn't want to. I was wearing Doc Martin boots, jeans and a denim shirt. On the start line were men in designer tops, shorts and trainers, lean and tanned. They may not have exactly been like that but it makes my achievment sound better. I finally gave in to the kids demands when they started to make more noise than the man on the mike. I lined up, thinking to myself that if I could trip up as many as I could then I may get into the top ten runners. The hooter went and I ran as fast as I could, faster than when a girlfriends dad came out of his house one night and caught us kissing goodnight. Me and this other chap went over the line together and the chap on the mike came up to us. "That was close" he said. Quick as a flash I said "Yes, it was but I just got there first". Before the other runner could say anything the chap on the mike raised my hand as the winner. I was a little disappointed that they didn't play the National Anthem when they handed me my winners medal but, as the years went by, I did get over it. :biggrin:

• Upvote 4

I have two "biggies" that are not family related: I and a colleague received an IR-100 award for a machine we developed to cut miniature metal samples from the middle of steam turbine bores! The device holds two patents, and the rights to it were bought by Rolls Royce!

The second is a publication: "Evaluation of Longwall Dust Sources" that I co-authored with another colleague. It was the first time that dust levels had been measured in real-time on a longwall coal face. The publication is now in the Library of Congress!

Of course, my greatest achievement is my son - who lives and works in New Hampshire and is the greatest son on Earth!

• Upvote 1

Giving birth to and raising two healthy kids who've grown into fine, hardworking men.

You took the words right out of my mouth Lizzie, only mine were 3 lovely girls

• Upvote 2

Last night Fed 60 people ,well my mates hog roast did ,had a brilliant 60th birthday bash nice weather nice food, nice people perfect night.I met family from my dad's side that I have not seen since I was a kid and family I had not met before it was great .If you want a good hog roast or pizza check out town and country hog roast very reasonable prices.

• Upvote 2

About 13 years ago i went through a cake making fad. I designed and made the cakes and every flower by hand. These are 5 of my favourites. My personal achievement that made me happy was the 3 tier wedding cake that i made for my sister and also the snowman Xmas cake that raised a lot of money for the hospice where i worked at the time. I hope that you enjoy looking at them.

http://s1326.photobucket.com/user/dazclang/slideshow/Cakes

• Upvote 6

Cake making Carni, I should have known that would be your favourite hobby.

Just been out with Mrs red, she had a healthy ham and cheese salad sandwich on wholemeal bread.

I had ..................................... A large piece of Black Forest gateaux and cream......... Yum Yum.

• Upvote 1