Secondhand Memories

My favourite type of shop is a secondhand bookshop; after one of these, I can't stay out of a shop selling fishing tackle. Last week I wandered into a secondhand bookshop in Cromer and found a 'Toby Twirl Story Book'. I can honestly say I remembered most of the illustrations from when I had my own childhood copy.

Has anyone had a similar experience? And are there any secondhand book shops in Nottingham these days. From living there 50 years ago, I remember a couple; one on Broad Marsh and one on George Street - I think it was George Street.

• Upvote 4

I remember a good one halfway up Mansfield Road on the left, but cannot recall it's very unusual name.....

Also remember the one on George Street (or somewhere near there) I think it became "Mushroom" or something similar.

Another second hand bookshop from the 70's was situated about opposite the "Bodega" pub.

It had two floors, the upper floor contained mostly technical or more obscure titles.

I really love the touch, weight, feel (and smell) of old books.

If I spot something interesting needing a good home I will rescue it and add it to my collection.

Tucked up in it's own paper bag it will sit on the passenger seat of my car, unaware of the friends it will find back home.

Lots on my shelves have not been read yet, they wait patiently for me to discover them again, perhaps months or even a year later!

You could say they are safely "left on the shelf".

When the dark nights arrive (very soon now) it will be good to be able to go into your own personal library and always find something to read, or re-read.

I do not keep them in any order of subject or author or style, they just keep each other company in the order that they arrive.

Oh.... I've gone on a bit here, October this coming week, now what shall I chose?

Smiffy

• Upvote 4

The secondhand bookshop on Mansfield Road is Jermy & Westerman

Actually owned by Geoff Blore he kept the name(after purchasing the shop) to save confusion with his other shop in Sherwood(now closed)
  • Upvote 1

Secondhand book shops! are the first thing I head for when I go anywhere. ;)

I have bought about 90 books so far this year most of them second hand.

Including a few directories which I bought using my new found wealth after retiring. :)

• Upvote 5

Jermy and Westerman. I went in there some years ago and bought Funk and Wagnalls The New Standard Dictionary of the English Language. It is an encyclopaedic dictionary in two volumes, published in 1946. Each volume has 3000 pages and each volume weighs nine-and-a-half pounds. They have beautiful colour plates with tissue protection. Whoever originally purchased them must have put them on a shelf and forgot about them because they are in mint condition, and so are the dust jackets. Cost me ten pounds, easily my best book buy.

The Oxfam bookshop on Market Street is worth a visit.

• Upvote 2

Like Bubblewrap I love second hand bookshops because I collect books, local charity shops, are a good place to look, Hay on Wye is a great place for a day out to get a few books, and believe it or not Amazon UK, are also a good place to look, I have completed my collection of Observer Books with books from there, some that are in almost new condition, only cost me 1p..

• Upvote 2

The main part of my "book collection" is on Nottingham & Shire.(I really like the directories which can be expensive)

I also collect books on British history from the glorious revolution(1600) to about 1840

A few years back, I wandered into a little second-hand shop in Cromer, too.

They had a small pile of a dozen or so pocket-sized books of Shakespeare's plays which took my interest, first published in the late 1800s.

"How much are these?"

"£12"

"Each?"

"No, the lot"

Needless to say, I bought them! On thumbing through, I noticed they all had pencil notes in the margins, and the names of the scholars from Bemrose School in Derby who had used them to perform the plays on the fly leaves.

• Upvote 1

My favourite type of shop is a secondhand bookshop; after one of these, I can't stay out of a shop selling fishing tackle. Last week I wandered into a secondhand bookshop in Cromer and found a 'Toby Twirl Story Book'. I can honestly say I remembered most of the illustrations from when I had my own childhood copy.

Has anyone had a similar experience? And are there any secondhand book shops in Nottingham these days. From living there 50 years ago, I remember a couple; one on Broad Marsh and one on George Street - I think it was George Street.

I've always loved junk shops. Bits and Bobs Emporium on Gregory Blvd. next to the Post Office and one on Mansfield Rd about halfway down on the right were great to visit in the 60s. Second-hand bookshops hold a special fascination for me too and since the 80s I've been collecting books and comics from my childhood such as The Beano and Dandy, Rupert and the not so well known Toby Twirl. I met my wife chasing down old Rupert books. Between us we've built up a huge collection which will have to go when we retire. The kids have regularly told us they won't know where to begin when we've kicked the bucket! The prices of most of what we've accumulated has steadily risen so it was a good investment and it's provided us with many hours of pleasure.

BTW there's an excellent site dedicated to Toby Twirl should anyone be interested. See:

http://www.tobytwirl.co.uk/index.htm

• Upvote 1

A few years back, I wandered into a little second-hand shop in Cromer, too.

They had a small pile of a dozen or so pocket-sized books of Shakespeare's plays which took my interest, first published in the late 1800s.

"How much are these?"

"£12"

"Each?"

"No, the lot"

Needless to say, I bought them! On thumbing through, I noticed they all had pencil notes in the margins, and the names of the scholars from Bemrose School in Derby who had used them to perform the plays on the fly leaves.

One of the delights of second hand books is the things found in them. Inscriptions, child's colouring etc. I once found a largish card with a photograph of Queen Victoria on itin this way. It was an advert for soap.

We found a charming little village whilst touring round Dumfries and Galloway. Its called Wigtown, and it has the most amazing collection of second hand book shops I have ever seen. There must be about 15 of them, all around the lovely village square.

Closer to home, there is a fantastic book shop opposite the Minster, and the charity bookshop in Durham is a small library really.

• Upvote 1
  • 11 months later...

I too love second hand book shops and half of my books are from them,none from Nottingham though,i purchased em from all over the country whilst staying away from home working,and when i pick one from a bookcase the place i bought it comes back to me,but my fav.shop was from not far away 'Uppingham' near Corby,tiny place really crammed,a little old lady used to own it,and i got to know her (a bit) so much so that sometimes she'd make me coffee.the last time i was there about 5 years ago she'd sold up,and a miserable bloke had it,never even offered me coffee,so not been back..lol.

However theres a great shop in Nerja Spain that has a brilliant system when you're on holiday (and i read nowadays more on holiday than at home) when you've read the book,return it and they give you half your money back,nice bloke but no coffee.

• Upvote 1

There is a great second hand book shop in Cromford near Matlock Bath - books piled everywhere

I bought a lovely Victorian book from a second hand book shop on Alfreton Road in teh 70s. Coincidentally, one of the articles in the book was about a baker turned scientist who was born and bred in Thurso - Caithness, my last workplace before retiring.

I bought 60+ Penguin books from the 1930s through to the1960s the other week in a house sale for £15. I reckon I got a bargain there.

If you visit Warwickshire the Astley Book Farm is well worth a visit. They have thousands of second hand books, very well laid out and the people who run the shop are most helpful. I always come out having bought at least one. It is nice to see the prices of the children's books like Rupert and Enid Blyton's Adventure series. So glad I kept mine! They put a non-adhesive plastic film on the paper covers to keep them in good condition. I bought a roll of this and the lady showed me how she covers them. They have an excellent tea shop, so I have a good look around then get a drink and decide which ones I will buy. I look for books about places related to my family history research and also about Nottingham. The book collection just grows and grows! We are doing major decorating at home and moving all of the books is quite hard work but I cannot part with any of them!