I'm not a reactionary and I know computers have an important role etc. etc. but is anyone else sick of talking to one? I had a problem with e-mail today; so did others due to a problem at B.T.'s end, but that's another story. I found a phone number and got a computer on the other end of the line. I was given a 4.5 min. lecture by generated voice on how to solve my problem. (Press 1 if it was such a thing or 2 if it was another etc.) No use of course; my mind shuts down when I'm replied to by such a voice. I was given a web address to help. Questions were asked there which I didn't fully understand but I went through and replied the best I could. The final question asked if I would like to communicate to an 'expert'; someone from the mystic east I suppose; if I did, enter my phone number. I did and the thing told me I was a liar and enter my phone number. This happened several times and I was bordering on impatience, opening the window to eject the computer when a statement was flagged advising that there was a known problem with e-mails which was being worked upon. A good hour was wasted trying to navigate the digital mess!

In these situations I think computers and their co-conspirators are a totally frustrating work of the devil. Perhaps I should educate myself about their mysteries? I'm not interested. There are things I would far rather be doing. Older people have studied their works to advantage? Good for them! Get on with it I say. The things have their place even in my life but I like to talk to people in language I can understand who can answer even the questions of an idiot like myself.

I think that's all. madashell

• Upvote 4

What annoys me about computers, iPads and mobiles is that they don't react when you hit em.

I like something that you can whack and pull about.

That Babbage chappie has a lot to answer for.

However, I'd be totally lost these days without my iPad and mobile. I'd be a jibbering wreck .

Was messing about with an old PC the other day. Installed Linux & was quite impressed, if MS pursue their idea to "rent" out an operating system for a monthly fee, then joe public will migrate to Linux en masse.

Cos it's FREE !

It's modern life Tomlinson.

Businesses think that they can do away with people altogether and replace them with automated responses and chatbots.

There's nothing more annoying than trying to sort out a complicated problem with a piece of software that just goes on word recognition. (No matter whether it's called 'Lisa' and has an animated picture of a woman).

They are reluctant to spend money on decent customer service and have total contempt for the customer who has instead to waste time on the phone or be confused by 'interactive' software.

Same with automated checkouts at supermarkets. The onus is all on the shopper. If there's a mistake, it's assumed that you are trying to steal something.

Interesting that Aldi and Lidl don't have automated checkouts.

Tesco (profits down and going down even further) are putting more of the damned things in!

catfan.

I really hope that they try and sell that idea of 'renting' the software. Watch it fail.

We're really not desperate to use Microsoft's latest offering and can quite easily go elsewhere.

The Windows 8 debacle should have told them that.

If they really think they can keep people on the hook - paying in every month, then I suggest they look at Adobe's attempt to do that with Photoshop etc. The takeup has been very low because new versions of Photoshop don't do very much more than older versions - certainly not enough to warrant £40 a month direct debit. Not only that, it's already been cracked !

Mentioning Photoshop, years back they had a rival, Photoimpact, it was expensive too, but it was a text editing software as well as photo editing, Photoshop was a photo editing software, but you could text edit with it, very poor at side of it's rival.

Corel bought them out, and have a photo editing software that rivals Photoshop, but more user friendly and a fraction of the price, they also have video editing software.

IMHO, Photoshop is over priced and way too complicated for the average photograper. I'm not on about the low priced amateur Photoshop btw..

If I have any problems with my computer, I pick up my phone and call my 15yo grandson, he's a wizard with them, I changed my old steam powered mobile phone, for a new smartphone and he got it working with all the applications I wanted on it in a few minuets.

Was messing about with an old PC the other day. Installed Linux & was quite impressed, if MS pursue their idea to "rent" out an operating system for a monthly fee, then joe public will migrate to Linux en masse.

Cos it's FREE !

I use Linux already and it works fine(you can even have an American keyboard if you want)

My stepson installed it said it has fewer bugs.

Bubblewrap #9

Tried Q4OS, impressive but liked Linux Lite better.

Audio, Lan & Lexmark Laser Printer all working fine. Also Libre Office Suite & many other progs are free as you know.

Mine was an experiment to have a look at Linux by installing it on a scrap PC, sadly the graphics let the job down by being tiny obsolete onboard things !

Son has gone to pastures new now(two weeks ago)

I am using a ASUS lap top & my wife a LG tablet both wireless (the router is in son's bedroom)

And the printer is in the spare bedroom/library.

Have you seen the movie 'Something's Gotta Give' starring Jack Nicholson and Diane Keaton then Catfan? If not you should, they email each other from different rooms, but you're possibly not into RomComs!!

• Upvote 3

Have you seen the movie 'Something's Gotta Give' starring Jack Nicholson and Diane Keaton then Catfan? If not you should, they email each other from different rooms, but you're possibly not into RomComs!!

Lizzie'what are you trying to tell him ?.........catfan

• Upvote 1

I love a romantic comedy LizzieM !

They say I'm an old romantic fool really, who am I to argue !

• Upvote 2

Linux just WORKS. I will admit that like any operating system it has its quirks. That said, they have a great online forum of users helping other users. All of my newbie questions were answered promptly in plain English and they worked. Wouldn't buy another operating system.

• Upvote 1

If I didn't need a database (specifically, Access), I would get a ChromeBook! Google apps give you everything you need and you never need to worry about the OS, upgrades, or software! Most of the newer ones also have the ability to do most stuff offline so it still works out in the boonies - or on an airplane!

After being an apple fan for many years, I have become furious about Apple products.

I upgraded from snow leopard OS and it cost me about 20 quid. What a horrible operating system that was! I had to upgrade as some of the apps I use would not work on snow leopard. No wonder they gave mavericks away for free.

It gets worse. I love my ipad and its been everywhere with me, so if anything happens to that machine I miss it.

I upgraded the ipad operating system (there is a theme emerging here) and after it loaded, the ipad remained completely useless. All that the machine could do was to show the apple logo on the screen. I looked at the apple help site, and the remedies there were completely useless, such as a hard restart. They just didnt work. I remain without an ipad. I looked at the various forums about this fault and it seems I am not alone. At best I will have to lose all the data on it and start again from the beginning.