I hope all goes well for your wife Micheal. Here are two little success stories for you and your wife to read. We don't always hear the good news.

My sister had Radiotherapy at the Royal Marsden hospital London, when she was in her 20s, for cancer of the larynx in 1971, she is now 68yrs. And my dad had Radiotherapy in 1950s for testicular cancer, he went on to create twin girls in 1960. There were some side affects for both of them, but they were both cured of their cancers. I can remember the markings on both of my relations during treatment.

Just think of the progress since they had their treatments all those years ago. I hope my families successful treatment brings you some peace of mind.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I received a phone call from my eldest daughter who informed me that her mother-in-law was suffering from vertigo and wouldn't be able to look after my granddaughter. She asked me if I'd look after he

I took my wife to the hospital today to discuss how her CT scan had gone and I felt like crying, with happiness. She was told that there was no sign of any cancer and that they seem to have caught it

My wife has been feeling unwell and unsteady on her legs so she had to go to the hospital for some tests. It was found that her blood platelets were low but just higher than the level where she'd need

Pleased that the radiotherapy has begun and hope that there will be few, if any, side effects. Love and prayers to you both

• Upvote 2

All the best Mrs Booth. For what youve been through...fatigue and skin problems are the least of your worries. You can always rest a bit more and if you develop skin outbreaks I'm sure your husband will love you even more. The only bind is having to go every day. I was unlucky in the sense that I had to be at the hospital for 7.30 am and its half an hours drive to the hospital, we could never find a space to park so every morning we left a little earlier. It will soon pass

• Upvote 1

Thanks for your comments, carni, MargieH, DaveN and nonnaB. The Radiotherapy Dept. has it's own car park for it's patients and it's just outside the entrance so we don't even have to walk far. The staff are really friendly and, as in the Chemotherapy Dept, they treat you as a friend and not a number. The procedure, DaveN, looks easy as she has to strip off her top clothes and lay still for 10 minutes or so (I'll wait for your jokes, haha) and then go home. It's a bind having to go to the hospital every day for a couple of weeks but we all know the alternative.

carni, your family seem to have been unlucky with cancer but it's good to see that they were cured and went on to live a good life. I would imagine that they had good families to support them. Since my wife became ill she has had my support 100%. I've told her that she doesn't have to do anything, just ask me and teach me about things like the washing machine, the dryer etc. She's had the full support of all my family and nothings been to much for any of us, just as it is in most families. The reason I'm mentioning this is because I wonder what happens to the people who are alone. People who have nobody to help them when they need help. Sad isn't it.

. She's had the full support of all my family and nothings been to much for any of us, just as it is in most families. The reason I'm mentioning this is because I wonder what happens to the people who are alone. People who have nobody to help them when they need help. Sad isn't it.

That's me then...Got rushed into hospital 3 days ago with nobody to call on to feed my dogs and birds...I phoned a local aquaintance and he told me not to worry he'd call round and look after them. What the hell I would have done without him I daren't think.Just got out a couple of hours ago.

I hope you're feeling better, poohbear. Your dogs will be pleased to have you home again. Wish I lived near - I'd have looked after your pets! Take care...

• 1 month later...

I've had a few messages asking about my wife but I wanted to wait until she'd seen Dr. Chan at the hospital for an update as to how things had gone since her operation and radiotherapy. My wife coped well during the chemotherapy sessions but has suffered a little after the operation and radiotherapy. The radiotherapy sessions themselves weren't a problem but the after effects and the mountain of medication she has to take left her feeling very poorly. Her body hurt and she had no stamina at all. Last week she lay in bed for three days feeling really bad but got up on Saturday afternoon as she was feeling a little better. She has improved as each day goes by, apart from tiring quickly if she does anything physical. She also has to be careful not to bang into anything as it's going to be a long while before her body heals. When she was poorly in bed she began to doubt whether she was going to make it. It's not helping either of us by all the cancer ads on the TV and all the celebrities who're dying of cancer at the moment. Anyway, we met Dr Chan and a lady consultant at the hospital to find out how everything had gone. My wife had written a list of things to ask Dr Chan as you always think of something after you've left. The doctor and the consultant examined my wife and she asked them what her chances were. Dr Chan told her that things looked really good. He went on to explain that when my wife was first examined she was diagnosed with breast cancer. However, during her operation they found a second type of cancer that they didn't know was there and hadn't been affected by the chemotherapy. The surgeon had to operate on the 'live' cancer to try and remove it. She then had regular scanning sessions at the hospital which found no cancer. Dr Chan told my wife that when she was ill in bed it had nothing to do with cancer but was just a bout of the flu. Her aches and pains were down to the amount of surgery she'd had done, including taking flesh from her back to reconstruct her breast, and also the medication that she has to take. He said that a lot is happening inside her body as it heals but it will improve with time. He also stated that the cancer could return despite not showing up on any of her scans. He said that she may spend the rest of her life cancer free but he has to be honest with any cancer patient about the possibility of it returning. Dr Chan answered every question on my wife's list and she was really happy with his answers. He put her fears to rest and at the end of the consultation my wife gave them both a big hug and thanked them for all they had done for her. All she has to do now is wait for her body to heal and get on with her life again. Apart from the little blip a few days ago, she's remained positive and resolute throughout it all and I've been so proud of her. Hopefully, this will be the end of her problems. :)

• Upvote 9

Fantastic news Michael. Fingers crossed for you both.

• Upvote 1

That's such good news Michael, I hope she heals quickly and is soon back to cutting the hedge and mowing the lawn! Seriously though, we've all been through this difficult year with you and we're happy that you want to share your wife's experience with us. Sending hugs to you both x

• Upvote 2

Yes, hugs from me too. Yes, I'm a softie.

• Upvote 1

Wonderful news Michael, the Booth family have certainly been through the mill.All through your previous posts.. there was a sense of positivity and they were upbeat!!

Antoinette has just read it and clapped!!

God bless all of you.

Good News Micheal. As always we send you and your wife our love and best wishes for the future. So many of us have followed your wives illness, treatment and hopes and fears, and thankfully her good progress on the road back to good health over the last year. Each time you post, we sigh with relief for you and your family; that there is as katyjay says Light at the end of the tunnel.

• Upvote 2

Really pleased for you both. Hope that things will now get better and better, and that your life from now on can be worry free. God bless you both xx

• Upvote 1