What was your favourite toy as a child

I never had a teddy bear as a nipper, instead I had a monkey glove puppet. I obviously couldn't pronounce Monkey when I was tiny, only Gunk so that was his name. He was brown fur with a cream felt face. He was well loved, and his face was darned by mam many a time. His head was stuffed with straw. I made up for my lack of a teddy, and collected them later in life.

• Upvote 3
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Our daughter's favourite toy was Mow (Meow without the e). This was the world's greatest pacifier, guaranteed to keep her quiet. She would put it under her nose and then sniff so that the fur would ke

This is a rather chubby 2 year old me on my Mickey Rocker.

Def. not Mechano' all them nuts,screws,washers and Spanners I Could'nt be doing with em,..........no my favs were me Lead soldiers and a Golliwog which had a great 'Dicky Bow' and Waistcoat,

Little celluloid baby doll with a tiny bit of cloth for a nappy in a tiny basket. Until one of my brothers pushed a finger into it's little celluloid face, and it stayed like it.

Seriously, It had to be our three wheel tricycle, between four kids.

• Upvote 2

And Bayko building sets.

• Upvote 2

Def. not Mechano' all them nuts,screws,washers and Spanners I Could'nt be doing with em,..........no my favs were me Lead soldiers and a Golliwog which had a great 'Dicky Bow' and Waistcoat,

• Upvote 5

I had a golliwog. I used to call it Dinky Monkey. He had a velvet green jacket and a bell round his neck on a red ribbon.

When I was living at Saxondale., he was in the garage with some old books, but mice got in, chewed him to bits and pulled out the straw filling.

My teddies were David who was grey and Fluffy who was black. My doll was Sylvia. She was a 'pot' doll and had no hair. After a few years, Mum thought she'd treat me by having hair stuck on her head at the "doll's hospital" which was in a shop opposite Woodthorpe Drive I think, but she didn't feel like my Sylvia after that so I pulled it off! I also had a little velvet rabbit and a black straw filled Scottie dog and ALL my toys were always stuffed into my little dolls pram and wrapped up warmly. I hated the thought of any of them feeling left out. (Yes, they were real!). I also used to play 'schools' with them, making little books and setting them sums to do. They were very clever because in the morning the sums were all done! I've written all my little friends down because I never had a favourite - just loved them all. When I was about 7 and hadn't played schools for a while, I set it all up but something had changed.... I just couldn't get into it because I knew for certain that they were only toys. I felt SO sad...

Have any of you read the chapter in one of the Winnie the Pooh books where Christopher Robin tries to explain to Pooh that things are going to be different as he (C R ) is starting school? He was growing up and somehow knew that his 'friendship' with Pooh would never be the same again. It still makes me feel sad when I think about it as it was the end of my very early childhood, too.

• Upvote 3

A magnetic robot.

You selected a question and it (as if by magic) pointed to the correct answer.

• Upvote 1

#7 TBI, That sounds just what my brothers would have progressed to, when they had outgrown shooting their eyes out with a pea shooter.

#10 catfan, I don't think you were alone there Miduck. :)

• Upvote 1

Margie, I too had a pot doll, of the hairless variety. Friends of my parents used to take the doll to the Doll Hospital before Christmas and have a new wig fitted, and the wife would knit an outfit for the doll. They did this for several years.

• Upvote 1

Also Hornby Dublo "Duchess of Montrose" (I think that's what it was called)

Oh yeahhhhhh forget those used to be able to buy pea shooters too.. could never get the spinning top to work correctly had a stick with was it a leather or rubber strap on it my dad brought me a remote control car was on a lead with a steering wheel on the battery pack that turned the wheels

Wasn't that one of those flying saucer thingies, johnno. You pulled the wire and it spun the thing up and it flew upwards for a bit. Can't remember its proper name though. Probably a flying saucer.

Ben, I would have thought that Golliwog would have had a TIE. Not one of those bow things. LOL.

• Upvote 1

My favourite toy was and still is my Gollywog, I had him for Christmas when I was 5 in 1950 (god I am old)...... he is velvety with red and white striped legs a blue Jacket and a dicky bow.........I still have him today, he is a bit bald all over........I call him Tony Sambo after the story Little Black Sambo............ just luv him, he has always been my comfort..........My favourite book is Forever Amber which was given to me as a birthday pressie when I was 14 years old, I have read it over and over again, addicted to it - I always thought it was about me in a past life................

• Upvote 1

Wasn't that one of those flying saucer thingies, johnno. You pulled the wire and it spun the thing up and it flew upwards for a bit. Can't remember its proper name though. Probably a flying saucer.

Ben, I would have thought that Golliwog would have had a TIE. Not one of those bow things. LOL.

I thought that they were called Frisbee's............