When I was young my bother and I use to go into mum and dads bedroom to search for the large tin full of real photo's. We would spend hours looking and laughing at them.

When you went to a wedding there was normally cameras on the table's to take photo's of the guest's film afterwards taken to be printed.

Gong to Mablethorpe Wrights was always there before you went on the beach so they could take your photo.

Then along came DIGITAL PHOTOS yes you can put them on to your TV, computer, side show's ect. but what is going to happen 20/50 years from now when our great grandchildren want to look at there past family's and the TV computer has crashed and all the photos are lost.

When it was mum and dads diamond wedding anniversary I put together an album from when they were born, fell in love, married, had children then grandchildren. great grandchildren, when we had a party it was said by the family to be the best present ever.

Now I may not be top of the class on this new technology but I still like to have and to hold a paper photo.

What is the opinion of member's?

• Upvote 3

Yes I think it is - well not a problem but certainly something to ponder. I too used to love going through our old photos but they sadly are disappearing over to computers etd. \it is OK if you have one and know how to use them.

Also the old postcards of places you knew and visited how they looked year before that . I sometimes look at postcards and the people on them and wonder who they are and what happed to them. Peter

• Upvote 3

Mary 1947, I also prefer to hold a photograph rather than view through a computer monitor or TV screen.

All you need to do is take your memory card, I use Boots or Jessops and for a few pence you can print off 6x4 prints of your choice. As Catfan said back up your photographs’. I always back up onto my computer’s hard drive, an external hard drive and CD/DVD.

You also need to consider that CD/DVD/s can get damaged by use and WILL deteriorate after time so don’t just rely on this method to store your treasured photographs,

I am the same with books, I can’t get on with e-books at all.

mary1947, I bet most of us have a big box(es), full of old photos and snaps, that go back through the decades. I know I have, and my old mum too. I spent a good couple of hours recently going through her stuff with photos of her wedding day, loads of my dad in Africa during the war, my grand-parents even, all our old holiday photos and when we were kids growing up. They may be stuck in a cupboard and rarely pulled out, but when they are, what reminiscences, what pleasure.

Robbie, I'm with you on kindles, they may be alright for commuters perhaps, but part of the great pleasure of reading is actually turning pages and the whiff of paper.

• Upvote 1

Agree Robbie,....i have a small room that is basically just mine,it is my retreat and when i walk in the smell of the old books its so relaxing,you can't get that with e-books and DVDs,

• Upvote 1

Old-style photos are best for browsing through, having a blast of nostalgia, and wallowing in your past. But those photos can also get lost, damaged, fade and discolour over time, in the same way that anything digital can be lost, corrupted or wiped. Both types are only as secure as the person keeping them and storing them.

The big advantage of digital is with sharing and copying. If you have a photo on your computer you can easily send multiple copies to friends and family. In the days of prints you were supplied with one original. If you wanted a few more to send out, it was a long and expensive process to get copies made, and then you had to distribute them. Now it's just a few clicks.

• Upvote 3

Whoops Don't know what I was doing there - I wanted to add that we had biscuit tins full of photos which I used to love looking through, but very few had any information on them. When my mum died I asked an aunt about the people in many of the old photos which was fascinating but also discovered several skeletons!! I remember asking about a chap posing with my mum at the seaside, my aunt casually said 'O that's your sister's dad'....

I agree about kindles too - nothing like the smell of papaer turning those pages, and you can keep going back through pages when you forget who characters are!

Even the cheaper printers these days will print out a reasonable photo on glossy photo printer paper, and cheaper than taking your memory card to a store for printing out.

I save photos I take to an external hard drive, and "burn" them onto cd's

Just been to a flea market and bought two boxes of old postcards (about 250 per box) for a fiver I will soon sit down in peace and quiet go through them all. They are arranged in sections too eg sport, seaside etc

What a great find parmitage. I have lots of old postcards most of them are well over 100 years old. My Grandad worked all over the country for Boots from 1906 until his retirement in the early 1950s. He sent a postcard home to say he'd arrived OK and to tell his mother, then years later my granny, where to post his clean laundry! It seems that sometimes he only had his collars laundered! There are some fascinating scenes on the postcards ....... steam ships, horse-drawn buses, folk dressed up to the nines on the beach including ladies with parasols. Of course when Grandad sent those cards the scenes were normal. That's progress!

• Upvote 3

I love my Photo Albums. One of my favorite times is when I look under the stairs in the 'Glory Hole' for something. Spot the Photo Albums, put the kettle on and spend the next couple of hours engrossed.

My photo's don't go any further back than Grandparents, but,they take me back in my life almost to a person I once was, almost forgotten. The gel who was born in Gedling, the family, the places in Notts (long gone now). We have photo's on the computer, but I never look at them. Somehow it doesn't have the same effect as turning the pages and coming face to face with my old Nannars / Granddads or some memory from long ago.

I can never imagine us all sitting in front of the computer screen laughing at photo's as we do when we get together and the Albums come out. Albums for me every time.

• Upvote 1

Having worked as a Postman over the years you could see the numbers of Postcards being sent - particularly from the UK - dropping off. When we went away we would always send postcards. It is such a shame when things like that stop --- o my God a Spitfire just flown over. Peter

A while ago, I decided to download every photo I had onto my computer. It took me quite a long time as I was also editing them. When I'd finished I asked the rest of my outer family for any old family photos they may have. I assumed that my close family would have kept some old photos when they'd been looking at them (as we do). Like most other people my photos were kept in boxes in the house. I asked all my children to return any photos they'd taken, I'd then download them onto my computer and return the photos to them. I was quite surprised at the amount they had..lol. When I'd finally finished I gave copies to all my children. I personally find it a lot better to have them on my computer to view and if I, or someone else, wants to see a particular photo, or video, it's only a couple of clicks away. The alternative is spending hours searching through boxes. I can also view them on my TV. My photos and videos are also downloaded onto a 1TB portable hard drive. It's like the Rod Stewart thread, everyone has their own view.

• Upvote 1

Quite rightly so Michael, I hate family photos with a vengeance. When my mother died I stupidly burned what I believed to be every photo of her, but I have located a bag full under the spare bed. I'm glad I did on reflection, and found some of my dad in his firemans uniform during the war.

Another point, DON'T save them in Jpeg foremat, it's a very lossy foremat, use BMP.

Any valuable photos and files, I usually make three copies and keep them seperate, just in case.

It's "compressed data" each time it's opened, altered, enlarged etc, data is lost. BMP doesn't suffer that problem. JPEG is alright for websites, or just to produce images to show someone, but a bad choice to save valuable photos in. My camera shoots in RAW, Fine etc down.. I shoot in RAW and Fine settings, RAW is full 12.4Mbs of data, fine is less but in JPEG foremat.

I process my photos from the camera in RAW, and convert to BMP. Some software doesn't work or recognise RAW, so fine has to do for working with, but again, I always convert to BMP and then save it to a file.

• Upvote 1

No use talking about all these photos and postcards . Lets see 'em ! :)

A place to post all the "shoebox" pics:

http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10635&page=1

• Upvote 2

My son has just had his 40th birthday, SWMBO spent hours going through old pictures and finally put together an album starting on page one from the day he was born, the last photograph was taken when he visited on his actual birthday printed out, put in the album all ready for him to take with him.

• Upvote 2