Ailments, Aches & Pains. (Let's hear them here)

5 hours ago, Stavertongirl said:

Going to eat chocolate, between coughing fits, watch some strange programmes on Netflix and fester quietly!

You can't beat a good fester and a bar of chocolate... enjoy and get well soon...

• Like 1
  • Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Being the newbie I am to N.S. I couldn't work out how to reach out to Physical Perfection to tell him to get on with life as you never know what tomorrow will bring. Obviously at the moment time

I'm a happy Bunny tonight Went for my oncology visit after I had the P.E.T. scan and T.A.C. a couple of weeks ago and all is clear after the scare I had. The next process is due in 6 months after I ha

Well I hadn't intended contributing to this thread but do you want to know how many staples I've got in my tummy?!!  Actually I'll spare you the details but I want to put on record that my experience

Thanks for all your best wishes. Still festering under my heated throw with my trusty (sleeping and snoring) guard dog by my side whilst finishing off the other half of my chocolate bar from yesterday. Normally there wouldn’t have been any left but it has crunched up bits of nut in it and it does make me cough. Still the suffering is worth the pleasure.

I have been trying to remember the last time I had a cold/virus and have realised it was before covoid. I presume this could be that since then up until later last year I have always worn a mask when going out near people? It is making me wonder if I should start wearing one again at the supermarket etc? Also if not having anything for awhile is why this has hit me so hard?

Things to ponder on at 3am when I can’t sleep for coughing. 
On a lighter side a rather large spider has taken advantage of my ill health and taken up residence in my front room. He/she seems to live under my settee, but does come out, quite brazenly, to say hello. I do object when he/she appears on the arm of the settee whilst I am sitting on it and he/she has been knocked off unceremoniously with whatever is to hand but doesn’t seem to be phased. Letting he/she enjoy its little victories as when I feel better the neighbours ivy awaits.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hi spiderwoman sorry Stavertongirl my wife and I always wear masks when in crowded places. As she has COPD she was always having chest infections it reached the stage where our GP gave her antibiotics to keep in the house and to take them at the first sign of an infection, as he stated she didnt have enough meat on her to fight a full blown infection. Then came along covid and masks were worn all the time leaving home ,during the worst periods of covid she never had an infection. Since that time with our current usage of masks she has only had 1 infection. So we believe in the wearing of masks if your are liable to catch an infection.

• 3 weeks later...

When my husband had a mini stroke on the last day of July last year it was a worry but he was well cared for by the NHS although only in QMC for one night, however he’s had several brain scans, chest x-Ray, lots of blood tests and regular visits from a Community Nurse (she’s coming again this week to check his homework …… every visit she gives him written tasks and checks that he’s been using a ‘reaction-testing’ app on his phone.)  He’s taking 7 pills a day, although he was on 4 or 5 before this episode.   HOWEVER, since we returned from Zanzibar in mid November he’s suffered really bad nights sweats, I mean so bad he has to change his T shirt 3 or 4 times every night and every single day I’m washing sheets.  The blood tests are showing nothing at all and he’s now waiting for an appointment with a ‘Tropical Disease’ consultant, in case his problem is related to our trip to Africa.  To top it all he’s now got ‘Man Flu’, caught from me but I got over the cough without even any off-the-shelf meds!   

LizzieM. I hope they find out what is wrong with your hubby quickly and get it fixed.

There is an advertising campaign on our TV at the moment telling all us oldies to get vaccinated against shingles and just like the snafu with covid vaccines there are none available and supplies will be limited for several months.

• Like 1

@LizzieM  sorry to read about your husband’s problems.  It must be very difficult for him (and you!). I hope a reason for the problem will soon be found x

• Like 1

Hope they find out your husbands problems Lizzie my dad was in Africa in WW2 and caught Malaria for the rest of his life he had flare ups hopefully modern medicine can get it sorted.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

For those of you that read my ramblings about being near to deaths door when I was in ICU for 12 days late last year. I have something to add. My wife inadvertently let slip that early in my stay I had to be resuscitated as I had "died".

I have news for you all there is nothing on the other side, no blinding white lights, no choirs of angels, unless I was bound for the other place, no awareness of living then dying, just nothing. Also there was no awareness of being alive again.

What did I learn from the experience? Life is precious but oh so short, enjoy what time you have as I will be doing as soon as I am fully rehabilitated and fit again.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

I’m having problems with my back again . Saw Dr and he suggested another RM . I said something about having to wait a long time to get an appointment .He told me there was another cllic open in Asti that was very good and quick. He had taken his wife there the week before. Phoned, appointment made and went this morning arrived there about 9.30 with appointment at 10. At reception they asked for my health card and couldn’t find it but had my ID and they researched it and found it , gave me a form to fill in and before I even sat down to wait they called me by name and I was outside in the car by 9.58. All done and waiting for results on Thursday online. It was so convenient car park right in front of reception and although we still have to pay it cost only €59 instead of €120 at another clinic. In the past the hospital has always sent me for follow up so this is better than waiting around for taxis or walking miles from car park to where I need to be.

• Like 1

A couple of weeks ago I posted about having covid after returning from holiday, the after effects are slowly going but that is the least of our problems. On the flight back the wife was coughing and had a pain in her lower stomach and had to have oxygen for the rest of the flight. After a week in bed and antibiotics she was OK, a few days later early in the morning she took ill and was loosing lots of blood , it was an ambulance ride to Hospital. She was in for 9 days on antibiotics . Eventually they decided it was an infection on one of the veins supplying blood to the Colon, she is home now and very weak but quite happy with me doing all the housework and cooking as she has said she trained me well.

Wish her all the best from me Trogg .

2 hours ago, trogg said:

A couple of weeks ago I posted about having covid after returning from holiday, the after effects are slowly going but that is the least of our problems. On the flight back the wife was coughing and had a pain in her lower stomach and had to have oxygen for the rest of the flight. After a week in bed and antibiotics she was OK, a few days later early in the morning she took ill and was loosing lots of blood , it was an ambulance ride to Hospital. She was in for 9 days on antibiotics . Eventually they decided it was an infection on one of the veins supplying blood to the Colon, she is home now and very weak but quite happy with me doing all the housework and cooking as she has said she trained me well.

Trogg wish her well and well for a speedy recovery 

@troggSorry your wife has been really poorly but pleased she has you to look after her.  

“In sickness and in health’.

i wonder if any of us really thought about what we were saying in our marriage vows

• Like 1

Trogg, best wishes for a speedy recovery to your wife and well done for coping with the scary incident. Bet you’re fussing over her.

So sorry to hear or should I say see the news about your wife Trogg . No matter what it is , a serious illness or just a “ oh that’s hurt” or even a slight sniffle , if we care , we worry. I hope she is recovering well I’m sure everyone here will send her a hug. Keep us informed:hand: