Ailments, Aches & Pains. (Let's hear them here)

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Being the newbie I am to N.S. I couldn't work out how to reach out to Physical Perfection to tell him to get on with life as you never know what tomorrow will bring. Obviously at the moment time

I'm a happy Bunny tonight Went for my oncology visit after I had the P.E.T. scan and T.A.C. a couple of weeks ago and all is clear after the scare I had. The next process is due in 6 months after I ha

Well I hadn't intended contributing to this thread but do you want to know how many staples I've got in my tummy?!!  Actually I'll spare you the details but I want to put on record that my experience

The wife is out of Hospital  now after nearly 2 weeks ,she is very weak and in bed or asleep on the settee , I have told her I will bring the ironing to her in her bed. But I am still doing it and all the other housework. I will admit it women are better  organising and doing the housework, Thankyou all for your concern.

PS her problem was something to do with blood veins and her colon.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Trogg, if thah reads this drivel, I'm more than happy to bring me Airfryers and help with ironing and cooking chips and stuff. Best wishes to Mrs. Trogg.

• Like 1

@Trogg I’m so pleased and happy for your wife that she’s back home under the care of you Nurse Gladys.  Take good care of yourselves and don’t overdo things.  

• Like 2

Nah Ian, he's probably more likely to have the carrier bike, with the basket on the front, for carrying the ironing.

Our neighbour, a very fit early 40s young man, had a really nasty accident on his bike 3 weeks ago whilst out on a club run.  He lost control of his bike and hit a car.  He was taken by ambulance to QMC with multiple broken bones …….. jaw, shoulder blade, several ribs, several fingers, broken leg and a smashed ankle.  He underwent a couple of operations and was home after 2 weeks.  The fact that he was so fit before the accident has evidently helped his recovery, but it will be a long time before he can get on a bike again.  

• 1 month later...

I had Sclerotherapy 3 weeks ago, it involves injecting foam into a vein in my leg. The procedure was all done in 15 mins and painless. 3 weeks on and the leg is fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Makes my issue seem trivial.

I seem to be going down with a cold!

I get so few of them that I can't just shrug them off like many do.. they do tend to KO me... So you are probably all in for a week or so of me moaning incessantly...

"Nothing new there!" .. I hear you cry.. :laugh:

I've done a Covid test because we've still loads of the things that are going out of date.. so might as well, but looking negative..

I trust Mrs Col is aware of the seriousness of manflu and suitably solicitous. Constant attendance and provisions for all your creature comforts are a must of course.

GWS mate

Thanks... I'll do my best... I could lingering for weeks...

My husband has been grumbling about not being able to walk and getting tired as if he’s not strong enough to move properly. He’s had all sorts of exams and tests but not much has been found. Blood test don’t reveal anything new but today he parked the car in the drive and walked ( slight incline) towards the house ,  he had to sit down he was exhausted. The presumed outcome is that millions are effected by this and they suggest it’s caused by the covid vaccinations. His neice is a nurse and she told him there is a common connection between this syndrome and the vacs. It’s called Long Covid. Has anyone heard of this or even had this problem. It’s not a joke it’s just worrying. You have jabs to stop you getting something and it leaves you with something else. In the village we have no end of people complaining of not being as agile as they were before covid.

Mrs PP had a knee replacement 2 wks ago. Clips taken out today and she is ok. She has tried to talk me out of having mine done due to the extreme pain. I postponed my op thinking that two of us could not manage on crutches together. I'm back on the waiting list again with the same surgeon. It's strange how I'm in so much pain at night and when standing, while at the same time I'm reasonably ok on by indoor bike and rowing machine. I'm in the world Erg Challenge at the mo and doing quite well. Currently lying 86th out of 6 thousand competitors. 

When I had the hip replaced 20 years ago I was back on the indoor bike just a few days after. Took one pedal off and rode one legged. I'll do the same following the knee job. Studies show that exercising one limb benefits the other.

• Like 1

Thanks Jill but he was tested first for that

10 hours ago, nonnaB said:

It’s called Long Covid. Has anyone heard of this or even had this problem. 

I think Long Covid has been around almost as long as the original version; I've seen many references to it over the years.

This is the NHS info on it......  https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/covid-19/long-term-effects-of-covid-19-long-covid/

• Upvote 1
41 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

@nonnaBjust thought I'd mention it. UK GPs seem reluctant to test men as they seem to think it's mainly a female problem.

Why reluctant if they have symptoms. It’s better to check don’t you think. Our drs are pretty good and quick . In fact we can ask the dr to do certain tests or exams even if there’s nothing wrong. We don’t have to wait if we e got a pain and he can’t give you anything to relieve it. We ask for an X-ray, an eco, an RM or cT scan. It may be the same in UK too but it’s reasuring if you have these exams without the dr faffing around. I have asked for many blood tests since I was dismissed after followup finished. s the hospital has done everything for me

An endocrinologist actually admitted to a friend of mine that GPs are mostly completely ignorant about thyroid issues and cause a lot of problems for him.  It has also been my experience, as a hypothyroid patient, that GPs know very little about the subject...and they certainly don't like it when their patients have researched their own condition! Tough. It's my thyroid and I want to know everything possible about its activities, or lack thereof.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Exactly Jill but it’s not really reassuring is it

After moaning that I was coming down with a cold..I wasn't. Turned out to be a flare up of allergic rhinitis, which I can get anytime, but this probably caused by springtime tree pollen. A good old traditional  remedy called Momethasone Furoate Spray has helped hugely.

However, about a week ago I woke up with severe lower left back pain. Seems muscular, and I just assumed I'd pulled a muscle, but no idea how.

However..now got central low abdomen pain which hurts more on left if pressed. Bad enough to stop me doing much, which is handy as I'm halfway through refurbishing  bathroom and just took delivery of a new vanity unit, basin tap etc. No chance of even getting  them up the stairs as is.

Meanwhile Doc's online system isn't working, so I'm going to have to type it all-out and see what they say. Might even get an appointment..... .  

@ Peveril Peril.

Re: knee replacements.

In my experience after having both done, they were pretty good at pain management in hospital, giving Oxycodone for a day or so.. then morphine. They also sent me home with morphine, codeine etc. Sadly I can't take morphine or codeine alongside my heart meds..it gets dangerous, so I pretty much had to manage with paracetamol. If a big cry baby like me can do that I'm sure you can!

In my experience  getting the staples out is a major milestone and cuts pain a lot.

Next is to achieve the bend in the knee. It hurts but doing the prescribed exercises does strengthen leg muscles improving joint stability.

That said instead of trying to get the bend by pulling ankle up towards backside, in a lying oosition, I find that it's better done in a sitting position. Sit in chair with foot as close to chair as possible then push forward, increasing knee bend  It will hurt, but you are in control. Push forward as far as you can bear and hold for 30 seconds then back off. Repeat a few times. Do that 3-4 times per day. The bend will come.

Make sure you stay in control, you don't want to end up with all of your body weight on you new knee if it isn't locked. That would definitely  make your eyes water..Good luck!

23 minutes ago, DJ360 said:

Seems muscular, and I just assumed I'd pulled a muscle, but no idea how.

However..now got central low abdomen pain which hurts more on left if pressed. Bad enough to stop me doing much, which is handy as I'm halfway through refurbishing  bathroom.

Err hello??... do be careful Col