Whatever happened to......?

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I completely agree with you CliffTon.  I still find this new set-up a real pain, having to scroll down looking for a topic I want to read and seeing pages of Word Games.   I used to spend a lot o

CliffTon ........ really enjoyed his photos and posts

It is a pity that DJBrenton was not given counter arguments based on facts and research. It is called debate. He was just told to 'shut up' either because there was no counter arguments or because he

3 hours ago, The Pianoman said:

It is now Iceland. I think the only pub left now between the end of Radford Road/Gregory Boulevard to Cinder Hill roundabout is the Whitemoor. Newcastle Arms 'may' be coming back to life.

The Nags Head at Bobbers Mill is still going strong. The Park Tavern, Red Lion and Barleycorn all closed donkeys years ago. I used to go in the Red Lion, which was opposite the Park Tavern, on Sunday dinner times after playing Sunday league football. Our home ground was Melbourne Park. 

Talking of hostelries, I were scrounging about on Streetview, for want of something better to do and I noticed that my old local back In the early 60s, "The Midland" hotel at the end of Kennington Road, opposite the late Players bond warehouses, is now a Chinese takeaway/restaurant. When did that happen? Is nowt sacred anymore. Would be a night in there, darts, dominoes etc., then two doors up to the chippie. Another one, over the bridge to the "White Horse", corner Faraday Road, (chip shop next door but one). Is that still a pub?

Methinks I've been away too long.

I vaguely remember the Park Tavern being built unless memory is wrong (it has been known!) I seem to remember the building of the new one, then they knocked down the old one and that space became the car park. This could have been early 50's

I too remember the Red Lion on Nuthall road very well, having spent many happy hours there around 1962-65. A very nice lounge where the Roy the landlord's daughter's would descend the staircase and grace the young bloods with their presence. There also were visits to the Park Tavern opposite where a friend of mine Mick Wright, on occasions, served behind the bar.  

Happy times.

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/10/2023 at 7:14 PM, Jill Sparrow said:

A bit confusing two hostelries with the same name. Both in Basford.

Jill you think 2 pubs with the same name is confusing. We have 2 street names named the same in a village of 3.000  One is street and the other Road, invariably parcels get mixed up. I have to put on addresses “ Strada valle  NOT Via valle. I think sometimes corriere are too lazy to drive out of the village centre to us in the “ sticks”

• 6 months later...

I was thinking recently about Stewart's the garden shop on George Street in Nottingham. It was there for decades. Just like walking into another era, going in there. Very rarely did they not have what was wanted. They also had a resident black cat who was not terribly friendly but who would follow you round the shop.

Stewart's has gone, probably long ago. The shop premises are still there but the olde worlde interior and earthy smell of seeds, bulbs and plants will have vanished into history. 

• Like 1

I used to get all my gardening stuff from Stewarts back in the 1970's/80's, great staff who always gave me great advice, I remember all those little draws that had seeds and bulbs in them and the garden tools (although way out of my price range) were a joy to hold, just goes to show that by spending that bit more on quality tools does pay you back, I still have my long handled rake and hoe that I clean after every use and I wipe boiled linseed oil on the shafts every season end

Rog

• Like 1

There was a similar shop on Churchgate in Newark. It’s now gone but I think it was called Brunnings. The stock was kept in wooden drawers behind the counter and the staff wore brown warehouse coats. Another delight was Maltby’s, the agricultural merchants, based between the Wharf and Northgate. It was a rambling shop where you could buy everything for farm and garden. They moved to the industrial estate on Brunel Drive but went out of business some years ago. There is a country store on Maltkiln Lane, Mole Country Stores. I was in there yesterday but it’s bright, modern and soulless. Even the cattle market in Newark has closed. That was a fascinating place on market day. I once went with a farmer friend who was also the chairman of the local council. He knew everybody. There was a bar and the favourite farmers’ tipple was Scotch. I couldn’t believe how much they could put away! It was interesting to see them tucking a fiver into the top pocket of those who had bought their stock at the auction. It’s known as ‘luck money’ apparently. This same farmer bought a tup (a mating ram) from Melton Market. When he opened the trailer back at the farm there was no tup to be seen. He drove all the way back to Melton but couldn’t find it grazing on the roadside!

• Like 1

About 30 years ago we nearly bought a house that had a room fitted out with those narrow drawers used for seeds etc.  it was a lovely house built in the Queen Anne Revival style for the Head Gardener of Mentmore Towers in Buckinghamshire.  We decided that the property was too big for us and Mentmore, being a hamlet, was too small for this ‘city girl’ 

Mentmore Towers is almost an exact copy of Wollaton Hall, but built about 300 years later for the Rothschilds.  

14 hours ago, philmayfield said:

It’s now gone but I think it was called Brunnings.

We have a Brunnings here in OZ. It is an Melbourne based national garden supplies company and has been in business for 169 years. It was started by George and Charles Brunning who arrived in Melbourne in 1852. I wonder if there is any connection?

• 2 weeks later...

Talking of Alberts, I wonder how our dear Albert Smith is doing, such a lovely man (and his wife Barbara) still enjoying his tea dances and wine club and an authority on the railways.   He used to get into town for the meet-ups but the last time he attended was at the Lime Kiln before Covid.  If you’re reading this Albert, we miss you.

• Like 6

Albert hasn't logged in since January 2023, but hopefully he will be back at some point.

I have an email address for him, so I'll drop a line and see if anything happens.

23 hours ago, Brew said:

And an excellent writer too...

Absolutely @Brew he lent me his Biography a few years ago, wonderfully written and so very interesting.  Lovely man.

I also read his autobiography several years ago when he used to come to the evening meet-ups at the Roebuck.

I was expecting a few sheets of A4; it was almost a Dickens-length book which took several days to read. It would be nice to think it had been preserved and available for other people to see.

• Like 2
On 3/5/2024 at 9:01 AM, Cliff Ton said:

I have an email address for him, so I'll drop a line and see if anything happens.

Last Tuesday I sent a message to the email address which Albert used to register on NS.

A week later I haven't yet had any response.