How's your day?

Busy day in town today, after I’d hiked a couple of miles with the hound because the regular resident dog-walker is still suffering with bad back and sciatica.  First of all I had an opticians appointment and pleased to hear that there needs to be no change to my prescription, they didn’t even try to persuade me to buy new specs this time.  Think I’ve had the same pair for about 5 years but only wear them first thing in the morning before contact lenses go in. 

Then a little browse around big Boots trying to get Christmas present inspirations.  I was just walking out of the store onto Parliament Street when I spotted a scruffy bloke pick up three big gift boxes from a display near the door, he then legged it out onto the street and into the crowd.  I couldn’t believe the neck of him, he didn’t even try to hide them but just ran off with the pile of boxes tucked under his chin.   A couple of hours later I was in there again and mentioned it to a girl who asked what time I witnessed the theft. I told her and a few minutes later she came and found me to say thanks and they’ve got him on CCTV stealing the goods and now know who to look for, she said it happens several times a day. Thieving sods.  Expect he sold them in the pub for booze/drug money, I have no sympathy for such low-life, makes my blood boil.

Got home and went in to my elderly neighbour to see if he needed any grocery shopping doing.  All matter-of-fact he said that earlier this afternoon there was a woman in his downstairs loo!  He said he asked her who she was and she didn’t answer.  I was heading towards his loo to check and he said she wasn’t still in there!  Not sure whether to believe him, I’m wondering if he’s losing it, he’s 91 ........

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 18.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Where was Ben ? He'd have knobbled him. Thieving sods and the suchlike cost the law abiding population millions per year. Price rises have to cover theft as well as inflation. Hopefully he'll spend Christmas inside, or maybe that's what he's after. Free accommodation.

Bleddy spongers ! 

• Like 1

Could be Lizzie my mum says some things that I know quite well dont happen. She regularly says that her dr comes in to visit her ( from Scotland) and she has regular conversations with the staff in the nursing home. Dont know how she understands them. Then there were two boys who knew one of the nurses gave her a sweet every day that climbed up onto the balcony, dashed in took the sweet and climbed down again.

The difference there though Nonna is your mum is in a care home and has someone watching her 24/7, my neighbour only sees me and the man from the Flying Horse Arcade posh cheese shop a couple of times a week, he lives on expensive cheeses and whatever else I get for him.  

Not sure how the Nottingham city centre shops stay open, been offered £600 Belstaff jackets, not your size? Back in 10, 100 quid electric toothbrushes, £100 plus Ralph Lauren shirts, on hangers, S to XXL, aftershave & perfume, bottles of spirits, just take a pew in any city centre pub any afternoon, they will come in droves. 

• Like 2

Before my Mum went into care.. she often accused me, my late Sister and others of 'trying to get her into a home'.  Obviously we didn't want that.. but it eventually became necessary.

While she was in the home.. which was incidentally very nice... Mum had up a picture of a chap she'd known early in WW2 and before she met my Dad.  He was apparently one of 1500 crew, all but three of whom died when HMS Hood exploded and sank at the Battle of the Denmark Strait in May 1941.

One of the last times I saw Mum, as we talked her through the various pictures she had on the wall of her room... she pointed out the same chap.  She told me he'd died in the War.  Then she pointed to a school sports field opposite the home she was in and said.. "It was awful.. they were all over there in that field and the Germans were just machine gunning them all." 

Just a small illustration of the way that  Dementia, Alzhiemer's etc., can take away people's memory.  It's a horrible thing.

Stealing is still stealing, even if you end up with a 'bargain' in the process (which encourages yet more stealing and actually makes you an accessory).   Yes, I know that very poor people in the 'olden days' possibly used to steal food, but that was to feed their starving families.   I don't think that stealing stuff in the U.K. these days is to feed starving children - it's to fund dubious lifestyles.   

But, as has often been said on this forum, each person is entitled to their own opinions.... this is just mine.

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Crazy thing is Margie ,people from all walks of life do-it,,,

Homeless

Druggies

Kids

Pensioners

Ordinary workers

Managers

Directors

in fact could be anyone,, i do have sympathy for certain ones,,

• Like 1

I agree, Ben, that stealing seems to be endemic - I suppose if people think that they can get something without having to pay for it (or pay less than they need to) it IS a big temptation to do so.   But just because it's a temptation, doesn't mean you have to give in to it!    

I expect that someone will respond about governments and big businesses etc misappropriating funds for their own benefit... which is no doubt true, but that still doesn't make stealing right (does it?). 

Even if 'everyone' does it,  I still think that stealing stuff isn't right,  from wherever or whomever it's being stolen from.  

Anyway, that's my lot on this particular subject.......  I accept that many people think differently from me - and that's fine.  We have all had different experiences and upbringings so it would be strange if we all thought the same or believed the same things.

So back to 'How's your day'   I've been busy for the last few days and our house needs a really good tidy up and clean, so that's my job for today.   I don't like housework much but I like it when it looks nice afterwards!

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1
9 hours ago, IAN123. said:

On the same page Red...nowt wrong with a bargain...got a nice iphone in the Dog last year.

Condoning such behaviour then?  

Many years ago a good friend of ours who had a slaughterhouse and a couple of butchers shops was locked up for a couple of years for ‘receiving stolen pigs’.   We’re sure he knew the animals were stolen but he suffered the consequences, quite rightly so.   

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1
10 hours ago, IAN123. said:

On the same page Red...nowt wrong with a bargain...got a nice iphone in the Dog last year.

I despair I really do....

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

What a busy morning. We took our daughter to the dentist at 9.30am as an emergency patient. The poor gel has been in agony with  toothache, she is so frightened of the dentist that it has taken chronic pain for three days to get her there. This is the fourth attempt, the last three have ended  in a melt down in the dentist chair. The dentist finally got her to have two fillings, she wouldn't have an injection. I don't understand how a frightened person can do that? The dentist is making an appointment at the BDH for her to have sedation and three teeth removed. Great hospital, all top Surgeons and up to the minute equipment. She will be well looked after there, it is where I go now.

On returning home I started my annual cooking frenzy, didn't get out of the kitchen for three hours. 21 Scotch Eggs for my son and his work buddies, plus 8 for me and mine. I am officially known as Mrs Scotch Egg. It gets a bit embarrassing when  I am out and about and one of the factory lads see me and  give me a call. Yo, Mrs Scotch Eggs loved your eggs  again this year. Ok, son, a bit quieter please.:blush:

Sitting down relaxing now, full of Scotch Eggs, time for a mince pie. Merry Christmas everyone.:biggrin:

• Like 8
9 minutes ago, carni said:

The poor gel has been in agony with  toothache, she is so frightened of the dentist that it has taken chronic pain for three days to get her there. This is the fourth attempt, the last three have ended  in a melt down in the dentist chair. The dentist finally got her to have two fillings, she wouldn't have an injection. I don't understand how a frightened person can do that? 

Bet he's not as bad as Ronald Acton of Gregory Boulevard. No one could be!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Bet he's not as bad as Ronald Acton of Gregory Boulevard. No one could be!

Brian Lawson (opposite Basford gas works) wasn't much better. I had the misfortune of being mistreated by both.

• Like 1

Only ever had toothache once.  As I remember it even someone as averse to doctors and dentists as I am would go to get rid of that pain.

Never knew the Gregory Blvd guy.  There were a few around in the day that folks did not like.

Theft is theft full stop ! Now I'm not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but I've never resorted to theft, or the purchasing of stolen goods. I've worked in stores and warehouses where there was ample opportunity, but never was tempted. There was mobiles, tools, alcohol in various establishments, but I never took advantage.

It's obviously rife as has been stated many times on here, but sadly it seems to be the norm for some, and those that readily condone it.

There's recently been flippant and adulatory remarks regarding violence, theft, burglary, fencing and the sale of the proceeds, and drug usage.

To be honest, I don't think that the majority of the membership are impressed by these ridiculous and mainly banal remarks. I appreciate that there's always a few gullible and impressionable folk who will think it amusing and are willing to condone it, but such content has no place whatsoever on NS .

It's a shame that NS has again become a platform for such arrogant drivel.

• Like 9

Swearing isn't a crime yet, and just remember pots and kettles, and glasshouses etc ! 

• Like 1

It seems to me that quite a few of us in our childhood had some kind of bad experience at the 'School Dentist'. The behaviour wouldn't be tolerated these days. Pretty sure someone would sue them for cruelty. If you were unlucky enough to have one of these dentists, and I did, mine, I was told  was most often annebriated,  it can leave you with life long hang ups about going to see them. I am only just getting over my fear at the age of 70 and a bit ( well a bit more than a bit really, two thirds  but whose counting?). Too late for me, damage done long ago along with most of my teggies!!!

• Like 1

The Ten Commandments

1. You shall have no other Gods but me.
  2. You shall not make for yourself any idol, nor bow down to it or worship it.
  3. You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God.
  4. You shall remember and keep the Sabbath day holy.
  5. Respect your father and mother.
  6. You must not commit murder.
  7. You must not commit adultery.
  8. You must not steal.
  9. You must not give false evidence against your neighbour.
  10. You must not be envious of your neighbour's goods. You shall not be envious of his house nor his wife, nor anything that belongs to your neighbour.
  • Like 1

The third Commandment is about careless or deliberate mis-use use of God's name, NOT swearing as many people understand the term nowadays.

i.e. the deliberate use of certain words about parts of the body, bodily functions or activities etc which are deemed inappropriate or offensive to some people.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
7 hours ago, IAN123. said:

The 5 was last years!

Season of good will my arse!

Language please . If you are used to using language like that take a good look at your keyboard there are alternatives. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3