How's your day?

• Replies 13.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

I was fascinated to learn that you were at school with my sister in law, after I  joined NS.

Just had a Google walk down Kennington road and St. Paul's street, Radford. Totally unrecognisable. That's  what I  remarked earlier, I know bugger all about Nottingham now. I've  acquired quite a bit of knowledge re  nottm.

If it wornt for you lot, I'd be in blissful ignorance. But I like to think I have friends all over.

Her name before marriage was Yvonne Perry. Don't know when you were at school, but she is now coming up to 65 this year. That would, I think, put her in the mid 1960s. I know she used to come to straight from school, when we live off Valley road. Does that help?

Incidentally,  she was at school a couple of years below my cousin, her name was Yvonne King.

If she is 65 this year, she is older than myself and would have been 2 or 3 years ahead of me, depending on when her birthday falls. I commenced Manning in September 1969, so she could have been in either the 3rd or 4th forms but we would certainly have been there at the same time.  I don't recall the name Perry.  There was a King but I think her name was Deborah. Again, older than myself.

I haven’t posted much recently, every day seems much like another except for the highlight of getting a delivery slot, 2 Iceland and 1 Asda to date. However this morning Kai and I had a bit of excitement.  
We had our usual walk, had breakfast and I started to clean up. I leave my back door open so Kai can wander in and out as he wants. I was in the front room hoovering and then went into kitchen when I heard a kerfuffle in my side room off the kitchen. (Bit of background the male wood pigeon had been chasing the female around my garden, didnt know they could run so fast).

Anyway back to the kerfuffle, I could hear things being knocked about and thought Kai might be having a fit or something. When I went into the room there was a wood pigeon throwing itself at the window trying to get out and Kai trying to get at the wood pigeon, it was chaos (spelling?). 
I got Kai into the kitchen and got a towel to throw over the wood pigeon so I could get it out the open door. I didn’t realise how big this pigeon was, it was built like Lennox Louis, would have fed the whole street, the beak looked a bit scary as well.  Looking at my hand towel I realised it was slightly inadequate and had visions of losing a finger. Anyway I managed to somehow get the bird onto the floor to stop it hurling itself at the window so it didn’t break its neck or my window. 
I dropped the towel over it to try and calm it down a bit and we both took a breather. It then emerged from under the towel and proceeded to throw itself at the half of the french door that was open, unfortunately it was behind the door so I would have to guide it round so it could get out. I managed to do this but it ran past the opening and proceeded to throw itself against the glass in the other half of the french window that wasn’t open. (Of all the pigeons in Bilborough it seemed I had got the mentally challenged one). 
I sort of wafted the towel at it and it Looked at me as if to say “what the **** are you doing” but eventually got the message and ran thru the open door. It flew up onto my fence and p****d all over it ( at least it didn’t do it in my room) and then flew away.
Turned round to go back into kitchen and the big spider was in the middle of the floor, I swear it was laughing, so I flicked my towel at it and it scuttled off. 
Mental note to oneself get one of the strippy things to go over door when it is open and evict said spider for insolence.  

• Like 6

There are wood pigeons nesting in my garden. They have a permanent abode in a conifer tree. Recently, one of them has been flying into the windows. Makes hell of a racket and the cats jump out of their skins!  I always scoot outside to ensure it hasn't knocked itself unconscious but all seems fine. Just not overendowed with grey matter. Bird brain?  Not that I would use that term. Not with my surname!

Big Bertha is living dangerously!

Busiest day yet on the NHS Volunteer front. Six requests, of which four were just a chat and two requests to collect medication.

Quite good fun showing my Royal Volunteer Service ID to the people controlling the queue at Sainsbury’s and being let in in front of everyone else so that I can get to the pharmacy.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Talking about birds, Tuesday was pretty cold here, 20F below average for this time of year, so I lit a fire, every time I opened the wood stove door I was met with loads of smoke pouring out. So yesterday I went on the roof pulled the weather cap off the stove pipe and good grief, some bird had built a nest, at least three charred eggs. Pulled it out and the nest must have been at least 12"  thick down the stovepipe.

Usually in summer we get Northern Cardinals, young males attacking their reflections in the windows.

Had to send a pic of my leg to the Docs today. A puncture wound I acquired a week ago when a twig jumped out and stabbed me suddenly decided to go red and leak pus.

Doc sent anti biotics and strict instructions to seek further help if it gets worse.

What fun!!

Suitcases packed & airport car park still booked, on the off chance we can still go?

Grand Canaries he we come ............ Not :wacko: 

• Like 1

Just heard from another Green bowler that the green will be open on Wednesday,  

but you have to book, only 2 pesons allowed on the green, (no competition ) if playing with your other half. Must addmit ready to start bowling, but at the moment can't see much future for green bowls, this year all league's cancelled so no contest. The season ends about Sept.

Busy day again with grandchildren.we've made 4 plates of sushi for supper tonight.

We went for an hour's walk in the village this afternoon in the beautiful sunshine.  We walked through the 4 graveyards - one in the Parish churchyard, one over the road from there in a very old and overgrown graveyard, one old Dissenters cemetary where the gravestones have been moved to the edges of the field and the current cemetary.   I particularly love the overgrown one at this time of year - it has cow parsley, borage, a variety of tall grasses and bluebells everywhere and has a circular path lined with beech trees to walk round.  It has several wooden benches to sit and rest and an old tractor seat in one corner which looks over the wall so you can see for miles over the countryside.  

I thought of all the people who had lived and died in the village over the centuries and felt so grateful that we are still alive and able to enjoy our still beautiful world....

• Like 7

The first 'milk man' delivery arrived this morning in proper glass bottles :biggrin: We were lucky to be added to his round, him being in much demand.

Talking about bottle deliveries and collections, Thursday is our fortnightly blue bin collection day - a very embarrassing day is Thursday :rolleyes: We hear the bin lorry start at the top of the road and the sound of the 'emptying's' gets louder as the van gets closer. The 'emptying's' have taken on a distinctly different tone since lock down. The rumble and thud has changed to a tinkle and crash and reaches a magnificent crescendo at the end of our drive when a fortnight's beer and wine bottles are cascaded on to even more bottles. 

So many things have changed that we didn't expect. 

Taking stock of my bikes and parts today while the demand for bikes is high. Sold 5 and some racing wheels about 4 years ago and got peanut prices. People wanted new kit, especially the racing stuff. Think I have a couple of old frames and bits to make two lightweight knockabout bikes. I'll keep four bikes, three of which I will ride again when the mood takes me.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
16 minutes ago, PeverilPeril said:

The rumble and thud has changed to a tinkle and crash and reaches a magnificent crescendo at the end of our drive when a fortnight's beer and wine bottles are cascaded on to even more bottles. So many things have changed that we didn't expect. 

I've drunk less since everything changed. Most of my drinking was done in external social meetings of various kinds, rather than at home.

I've never been close to being an alcoholic, but I'm even further away now.

Happy Birthday Granddad...................120 today...............World War one Veteran,,..........funny thing is Daughter just come across one of his Phot'os..........and sent it to me....just as i was thinking of him.....

Diet today, last few weeks have been difficult not to eat through boredom.  Anyone else put weight on.?

42 minutes ago, nonnaB said:

Diet today, last few weeks have been difficult not to eat through boredom.  Anyone else put weight on.?

I'm not usually a big eater, but even in normal times I'd eat more if I was bored or not doing anything.

As I've been more bored and not doing so much recently, I've definitely eaten more....just for summat to do.

• Like 1