• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Today is one of those beautiful mornings, clear blue skies, hardly a breath of wind, 20 degrees at the moment forecast top 26. We are having a welcome Indian summer. Just cooked breakfast on the BBQ out on the patio looking at the sea which is like a mill pond. Fried bread, 1 egg, heaps of mushrooms, two very spicy chevapicic sausages, the square ones so they don't roll about on the BBQ so you can cook them evenly and a large truss tomato that smelled and tasted like it was from my grandads back yard green house. Having demolished that, just having a second cappuccino and going to read the papers on the webulator. Life is good!

• Like 3

You what sometimes Oz you can be really cruel....:angry:

• Like 1

Everybody must be in Church......6 comments in 11 hours ?.......

Anyway Happy Easter.........

• Like 1

Another Happy Easter..Railway club early 60s....from lots of lovely friends and relations........wish i could see them all one more time..........those were the days my friends.............Easter-Bonnet.jpg

• Like 3

Ben. Somewhere on Facebook there is another Railway Club pic with your grandma and my aunty Norah on there. 

It was you Ben, I am pretty sure, who pointed out your grandma. I was surprised my aunty was in there as she had nothing to do with railways!

Could have been in the 'Standard of England.'' just looking for it............

Ben. I finally found the picture. It was Oakleigh Social Club (not railway club). 

• Like 1

Today as was supposed to be stormy but all we got til midday was rain and cold then after lunch we had a video call from a cousin in Sicily.   Bare chested and grinning like Cheshire Cat. It was 30 c in Palermo. It really made our day you can imagine cant you? 

That's the photo, CT, thank you. Oakleigh Lodge I believe, I left the Lodge off! My aunt is 2nd on the right, Norah Clarke. 

• Like 2

This is a public announcement.

It is not a good idea to make appointments with an accountant and then decide to cut your hair if the clippers are only half charged and runs out before you can finish.

You're welcome.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I had to threaten a certain  individual not a million miles away with dire consequences if she did not delete the photo...  :angry2:

Brew, I did something similar about 20 years ago when I was still working.  I always cut my own hair and this particular time I was using the electric clippers on the lower back part of my head.  I had attached a number 6 ,guard’ on the clippers, at least I THOUGHT I’d attached it securely but it came off without warning and dropped on the floor.   I obviously stopped straightaway but there was now a small shaved area on the back of my head.  I used an eyebrow pencil to colour on to my scalp - I was dark haired then - and luckily I had enough hair on the top and sides to back comb over the bare patch which I heavily sprayed to hold it in place.  It worked and o was able to go to work without any schoolkids saying “what’s happened to your hair, miss?”  I showed it to the people I worked with and they just fell about laughing.  After about a week it was barely noticeable but I’ve been extra careful ever since! 

• Like 4

The problem became worse when I encountered a heavy outcrop at the back and there was so little charge the blades simply jammed leaving me with a hair clipper firmly attached to my head. Strangely the ensuing imprecations on the makers parentage plus considering its suitability for a free flying lesson did not help at all.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

A lovely visit to Barnsley market today, weather was nice and warm with very little breeze, loads of friendly people about and some great market stalls and shops to explore, the food hall catered for just about every taste from good old home made pies right through to far eastern menus at a fantastic price, I sat down waiting for Mrs P to bring the drinks and food and I said to this guy on the next table "nice and warm today me duck" he immediately replied "you not from Barnsley are you with an accent like that" No was the reply he then said "you from Nottingham aren't you" wow is my accent still that strong, anyway we had a great natter about all sorts of things and parted company great friends, plenty of live music in the streets which is always great to hear, nice shoe shop just inside the market building so treated myself to a pair of tan leather chelsea boots for forty quid, Mrs P bought herself a new tweed cap for less than a tenner and a couple of new tops at a decent price, as for the car parking, first three hours are free on market days but you do need a ticket anyway after that it's fifty pence for each half hour so all it cost to park for most of the day was £1.50 the same as it costs me in Newark for two hours, all in all a great day and it was nice to be in such a bustling town with loads of friendly folk enjoying themselves, hope you all had a great day

Rog

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

When leaving, did you say to your dining neighbour, "ta-ra duck, or Sithee". That, he would understand. B.

Ta-ra me duck it's the only way to say goodbye

Mrs P outside the market

Barnsley-market-6.jpg

Rog

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Not so much ‘How’s Your Day’ but how’s our week or so gone!  Last week we spent two nights in a beautiful country house hotel in Dorking attending the wedding of our niece who lives in Washington. A second marriage for both her and the Groom, 6 kids between them!  Family travelled from all over the UK, USA and beyond and it was a fantastic family gathering.  Then we drove to Poole with brother-in-law and wife from Victoria, BC, along with their daughters, one from Toronto and one from Costa Rica. Then off to Devon for 2 nights to catch up with an old school friend of my husband, whilst there we went to see old friends from Leighton Buzzard who have a large Equestrian Centre on Dartmoor.  They told us they’re moving in June having bought Charlie Watts (Rolling Stones) Stud Farm. Our friend has always been into rock music and is the manager of ‘YES’ and has invited us to the Royal Albert Hall in June to see the band perform. When I got home (to Poole) I had to Google them!  I’m not into ‘progressive rock’ but it sounds like a good night out, he’s booking our London hotel too,  so it’s worth tolerating!   
Anyway, we’re now into Darby and Joan mode and relaxing without houseguests. That lot are all flying back to all points west tomorrow, plus one of our sons is going back to Dar es Salaam tomorrow and the other to Bahamas via Miami.  Wears me out thinking about it!  
I need @DJ360to get me up to speed on ‘YES’ ……. I’m a 60s Mod, Motown, Atlantic and Stax artists are the ones I know! 

• Like 3

Sorry Lizzie, I know next to nowt about Yes as I'm not into progressive rock either.

I can say they had a hit album called 'Fragile' and another called 'Tales From Topographic Oceans', but there were many others. I'm afaid their music does nothing for me. Check them out on Wikipedia.

I suppose if necessary you could casually drop in  "I really like Fragile and Topographic Oceans, but probably 'Oceans' better.. but then if they ask you which track you like best you're in trouble  :laugh:

Possibly better to employ the old "I don't know much about them but I've always enjoyed what I've heard on the radio.."

I have a neighbour who's really into Yes. He had a spare ticket to see Jon Anderson, Yes founder and lead singer, whose high tenor voice is to be honest the main reason I don't like Yes. So he dragged me along to the Anderson concert at the Bridgewater Hall Manchester. I was polite about it but frankly I've been to better concerts down the local Labour Club. It was a bizarre mish mash of New Age Hippy tosh and Lord of the Rings style graphics which just struck me as portraying all of the worst aspects of both, and none of the good points, in a weirdly naive and 'middle of the road' fashion. 

I escaped to the Gents for a bit, where two blokes were using very colourful language to describe their disappointment , then left.. I wished I could do the same.

As a final insult, I had to wait while my neighbour queued up to get the obligatory Album Cover Autograph, the selfie with Mr Anderson and the sycophantic conversation "Yes, excellent Jon,.. just as good as when I saw you at.. (very long list of concert venues) etc..

I just grabbed another beer and stood aside praying for it all to end.

Far better when I went with another hi-fi loving buddy to see the lovely Thea Gilmore at a nice venue in Birkenhead.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thea_Gilmore

As they all do.. she was selling CDs and signing them at the end and my pal said he'd get us one each..mine as a thank you for a small favour I'd done him. He's a good mate, but a funny little character somewhat lacking in self awareness.

We reached the front of the queue and my pal said to Thea:

"I've already got 12 of your albums.. this will make 13..".

She grinned and replied.. "That's more than I've got.."

He then said "I go to all of your concerts.. "

She's a pretty self-effacing lady and feigned a sort of surprised look, whereupon I winked as I whispered loudly over his shoulder..:

"He's a stalker.." 

At that point she burst out laughing. It was a lovely moment.

• Like 1

Speaking of trimmers and hair cuts...

The first time I cut my own hair, during lockdown, I used a No.3 10mm comb, to do my hair and then changed to a No.2 6mm comb to trim around my ears. After a final check around I decided there were a couple of stray bits at the back so attacked them, forgetting to change back to a No.3. ..:wacko:  Results were, as they say.. somewhat patchy..

I'm rather better at it now... but like Margie.. I have to be very careful not to forget to fit the right comb.

@Brew I have a Wahl Hair and Beard Trimmer. About 50 quid from Boots.  It's not an 'industrial strength' corded one. Just battery powered and rechargeable. It lasts a good 40 minutes on a full charge, but crucially, you can get another ten minutes or so by charging for only a couple of minutes.. which is handy in emergencies. The downside is that the attachments are a little flimsy and the blades do go blunt eventually. However, replacements can be had from Amazon or eBay.