How's your day?

Ooh my neck of the woods, wish I could afford to live there now. Am sure my dad couldn’t at the time but he seemed to convince everyone, including himself that he could. Having gone through his finances after he passed I don’t know how he slept at night but you would never have known at the time and we all had a great childhood which was the main thing.

There's someone else on here who I think who used to live at Langar.

• Like 2
  • Replies 18.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Villages are not the same as they used to be. When we moved to the Trent Valley in ‘62 there were still proper country people and small farmers living here; lots of eccentric rural characters. Now villages are populated by affluent professionals and commuters. Many come for their children’s’ schooling thinking a village school is better than a city school. I refer to them as ‘incomers’ or townies. I suppose I was one once! I don’t get involved in village life much now (I used to be very active and helped run lots of events) but my wife does run the village hall and joins in things. I’m happy pottering in the workshop, cutting lawns and hedges and maintaining our wildlife meadow. We’re on the edge of the village and enjoy views over open countryside. I’ve no desire to live anywhere else. (Unless I could be transported to Salcombe or the west coast of Scotland so I could go boating again!) I just wish I was a few years younger!

• Like 3

I wish I wasn’t living in suburbia having spent the first 30 years of our marriage in the countryside of the leafy northern Home Counties.  We came back here to watch over my Dad who’d been living alone for 16 years.  It was a good decision at the time, the kids had moved out of the family home down there (which was a maintenance nightmare) and I could get to my elderly Dad within 10 minutes in any emergency when living in Nottingham.  He passed away 10 years ago and our kids have wanted us back in Hertfordshire ever since. But what do we do ……  and more importantly, can we be bothered?  

• Upvote 1

About two inches of snow has fallen overnight, although it looks like more. The temperature has certainly gone up since yesterday. Just been out to feed the dicky bods and noted fox tracks in the snow.  Apart from that, it can clear off as soon as it likes! Where's spring?

17 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

About two inches of snow has fallen overnight, although it looks like more. The temperature has certainly gone up since yesterday. Just been out to feed the dicky bods and noted fox tracks in the snow.  Apart from that, it can clear off as soon as it likes! Where's spring?

Winter’s not been yet!

I ordered a pair of thick winter gloves yesterday. Will Amazon get through? 

I’ve just been up to the village to collect the Sunday papers from the delivery box and it appears the Main St. has been salted and gritted. Lots of kids out with sledges but sadly no hills here in the bottom of the valley for them to slide down.

16 hours ago, philmayfield said:

......transported to Salcombe or the west coast of Scotland so I could go boating again!) I just wish I was a few years younger!

You've jogged my memory now Phil. A mere lifetime ago, I took my young wife on an 'on-spec' holiday to the western Highlands in our Cortina and stayed at various b&b cottages. During the dusky evenings we read books, TV being rare at that time. The book I got engrossed in and which I found fascinating was Gavin Maxwell's 'Harpoon at a venture' which details his efforts to start a shark fishery on the Isle of Soay. Very well written it documents his successes frustrations and failures around the western islands. You may have read it.

Not read that one yet. We used to stay at Craob Haven, a yachting village between Lochgilphead and Oban. I used to tow a boat all the way there. I must have been mad! We’ve sailed the waters around the Inner Hebrides. It could be scary at times with the eddies and whirlpools. We’ve also taken the ferry to Islay and visited all 8 of the distilleries! My other favourite place is at the other end of the country, St. Anthony in Meneage in Falmouth Bay, close to the Helford River. Another long boat towing trip. I know every inch of that coastline right up the Fal to Truro. Happy days. We usually go to Skegness on New Years Day to bring us back to reality!

• Upvote 1

You guys have more snow than we have in Regina really nothing here the streets and roads are dry the forecast says we could have an inch of snow on Thursday usually by now we are driving on packed snow about six inches deep, Happy shovelling folks.

It’s thawing rapidly with light drizzle. Temperature expected to remain above freezing overnight.

Living in rural isolation can have its dangers. I’ve just had to drag the wheelie bin through thick snow to the end of the drive in the dark. I survived without injuries and was able to collect my new Amazon winter gloves from the parcel box. Maybe I can allow myself a wee dram as a reward? :biggrin:

• Like 2

We decided a few days ago that we’d go and check on our place in Dorset today, Sunday being a good day to travel 200 miles to the seaside.  The intention was to leave at 9am but opening the bedroom curtains to see a carpet of snow we delayed our departure until 11am, the Sunday paper hadn’t arrived by then, which was annoying but we can live without all the bad news in any case.   
It took us 6 hours rather than the usual 3.5 hours.   There was no snow on the journey but drizzle, fog and hold-ups.  A horrible journey.  
We haven’t been here for 4 months since ‘the stroke episode’ but thankfully everything was ok.  
But it’s miserable weather, not cold but rain is beating on the windows.  I hate winter, bring on Spring!  

9 hours ago, katyjay said:

That would be me. Back of beyond!

Oh yeah, I remember that discussion about the Leadley family.