DJ360

How's your day?

Margie, don't  forget to get yourself some mushy peas,  ( then you can have a bubble bath later). A pot of them and then a ride on the waltzer. Last time we went was about 7 years ago.

• Upvote 1

Goose Fair for me was more about the sounds and the smells rather than the rides

The sound and oily smells coming from the diesel generators that powered the rides and the lights. The sounds of Johnny and the Hurricanes Red River Valley and Rockin' Goose belting out from the speakers on the Waltzer.

The aroma of the onions for the hot dogs, the smell of vinegar on cockles and mint sauce on mushy peas, the sweet smell of candy floss and brandy snaps. Is it still like that? or have tastes and technology moved on.

• Like 8
  • Upvote 2

From where i lived we could walk to the fair, which from Sunday to Thursday my friends, Wendy, Doris, and Pam all of us being 13 would look around to see if any boy;s were free. Never did find any, but if we had "you never know myself and friends" could all be Roman's by now.

Just a bit of use-less information.

• Upvote 1

Not Romans Mary, that's  a different kettle of fish. I believe  the phrase is, Romanys, although a lot of the lads who worked on there were local boys who used to go down before it opened to see if they could get jobs. The perk being chatting up unattached ladies. A couple of lads I  knew left and moved off with fair. Never to be seen again.

Reminded me of this song.  We used to sing it in Henry Whipple and I can see the school hall in my mind.  Bare walls except for a couple of pictures of bewigged old composers like Bach and Handel.

Going to the fair this afternoon, haven’t been for over 40 years so am looking forward to it. Candy floss and mushy peas here I come! Wonder if the music will still be the same, Del Shannon, Billy Fury (I did have a crush on him) etc. Won’t be going on any rides, never did like the waltzers always made me queasy, but might go on the cape or is it cake walk if it is still there. Are the big steam baskets still there, always found them terrifying to watch, wasn’t there a big galleon that use to swing almost vertical as well? 

• Like 1

We've just got back from the fair so might have seen you there SG, but don't know what you look like!   

I decided the only things I'd be happy going on we're the Gallopers and the Ghost Train, but we only went for a look.anyway.  Bought some peanut brittle, nougat and cinder toffee though.... feeling a bit sick now. :(

Did you not get a ' Cock on stick' Margie? Last time we went we found the little stall and the bloke told us that he would be retiring soon and he was the only one who made them anymore. As for riding the gallopers, would have thought you could nip over to Thursford. A permanent ride there.

• Upvote 1

I heard the ‘Cock on a stick’ chap interviewed on Radio Nottingham the other morning.  He’s still there at the age of 89, but is discussing retirement soon.  

So the stall holder has been retiring for at least seven years that I  know of.

Not be enough room in that stall for Ben and his lady helpers.

Raining , breezy.. overcast and miserable..  Today I shall make Hummus.. for consumption with thinly sliced bits of carrot.. for lunch.  I'm due an 'alternate days' session on the weights a bit later.  Then I think I'll spend the rest of the day 'ripping' vinyl to digital and adding it to the music store on my music server.  Much as I actually love listening to vinyl on my posh record player.. it is so much more convenient to be able to just pick a few tunes from the server and listen on headphones while the boss is nodding off in front of the telly.

If it stops raining between now and December.. I'll try to get the rest of the bulbs into the garden.

DJ, pardon my ignorance but what do you mean by server? I've  done quite a bit of vinyl to pc/cd, also audio cassettes, but that has to be done in real time. I can transfer music onto my tablet, then play on bluetooth speaker. If I download some music with ads in, I  can edit them out. Not sure about the ' server' bit though. Again, excuse my ignorance. 

Similar weather here Col. I made toast and coffee, and returned to bed till gone 10. 

@ Beekay.

You could live to regret asking me to discuss anything 'hi fi' related. .. I could go on for weeks! ;)

Basically a music server is a device which can store music files and then 'serve' them for replay.  As you've found, this can all be done via  a computer.  In fact I had a bit of a go at it by using Windows Media Player to catalogue a load of CDs ripped to my PC, then using a Logitech 'Squeezebox' streamer, to 'stream' the music to my hi-fi system for replay.  It was never much use though.  I was told to get better software for catalogueing the music on the PC,  however, having looked into that method, I decided it was all too much of a 'faff' and also had some disadvantages in sound quality.  Have a read here if you want 'chapter and verse' on this:  http://the-ear.net/review-hardware/innuos-zen-mkii-network-server.

So, to save a lot of trouble, I bought an Innuos Zen Mini Music server.  This is basically a computer designed for music storage, but without a screen or direct 'user interface' (mouse..keyboard etc.)  However, it is (unlike PCs and 'peripherals') specifically designed to deliver high quality audio without extraneous noise from power supplies etc., getting in and spoiling things.

Inside the Zen Mini are, a power supply, a Hard Drive for storing the music files and a CD Drive for 'ripping' music from CD.  There's also a modified Intel Core Processor..and some software. There is a pretty respectable 'onboard' Digital to Analogue Converter too, so the Zen can be connected directly to the 'line input' of any audio system. ( However, though I've not tried it yet, I suspect I'll get a further improvement by using my free standing pro-audio Benchmark DAC1 which cost more than the Zen.)

Connections on the ZEN are 4xUSB, Digital out (SPDIF), Digital out (optical) Analogue Out (RCA) and two Ethernet.. one for Network and one for connecting to a Streamer.

The Zen is connected to my home network via ethernet.  I've taken ethernet from my router, via 'powerline' sockets and to the 'Zen'.  I can control the Zen from an app on my tablet, or on my phone, or on the PC.  Each of these will let me access the Zen. So, if I put a disc into the ZEN.. it automatically starts ripping.  I can see as the Zen searches for the 'Metadata' (album art.. titles etc.), and then rips a track at a time and saves the finished 'rip' to the library.  It is quite amazing. You expect this with a CD, but last night I ripped a 1962 LP from vinyl to CD, put the resulting CD into the Zen and watched amazed as it immediately found the original artwork and titles.

So with this set up I can easily play anything from the ZEN, via my Hi Fi system.  I've also pressed the Logitech Squeezebox streamer into service.  It now sits next to my chair and I can connect it to the ZEN via the home network and listen to music via heaphones.  Instead of using an 'app', the Logitech has a little screen which shows the library.

I can also access thousands of Internet Radio stations via this set up.

All of my CDs are now ripped to the ZEN and have been put in the loft out of the way.  I'm now embarking on ripping lots of vinyl to CD and then to the ZEN.  Sadly, my otherwise excellent Yamaha CDR HD-1500 CD recorder, has no USB out. If it did, I could skip the CD burning bit and just 'import' files to the ZEN direct.  Still, I'm using CDR 'Rewritable'

discs to rip to the ZEN, so cost is minimal.

Hope this helps...

Kinnell BK 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Thanks DJ., after reading that lot I'm  going to lie down in a dark corner with a couple of paracetamol.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, benjamin1945 said:

Kinnell BK 

Precisely  Ben, sometimes I  wish I'd  kept me mouth shut.:rolleyes:

• Like 3

Only two B ?

• Like 1

Haa!!  That'll teach yer...!!  :laugh:

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

What do you want me to do Fly, take a load?

DJ., so could a tablet with downloaded music be classed as a server?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Sometimes one needs to take more than two. It all depends on the strength of course.

Would have thought Paracetamol  would all have been the same strength, despite the trade names.

My day has just got better ! Had my coronation and have now joined the Royal Family.

• Like 7