DJ360

How's your day?

1 minute ago, philmayfield said:

I don’t make many calls on the mobile. It’s main use is as a work of reference. It’s much easier than lugging the  Encyclopaedia Britannica around with me!

So how did you manage before they were invented? I still maintain they are handy but hardly essential. 

Before they were invented I had to look things up in a book or latterly go online. Now I can get information on tap wherever I am. In addition there are a multitude of useful apps from the weather forecast to speed cameras plus I can make and receive calls whilst driving.

11 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

Before they were invented I had to look things up in a book or latterly go online. Now I can get information on tap wherever I am. In addition there are a multitude of useful apps from the weather forecast to speed cameras plus I can make and receive calls whilst driving.

So they are as I said convenient not essential. None of the other stuff you mention is really necessary and I seriously doubt any of us have had a life changing phone call whilst out driving  - and hands free calls will soon be banned.

Most newer vehicles this side of the pond, from around 2010 onwards have Wifi stereo systems, and as most modern cell phones have that same App, they can be set up for hands free operation via the vehicles radio/player.

There's a select button under the rear view mirror and on the steering wheel, press either and it goes into Wifi phone mode, once set up to recognize one's voice, you tell it what number to dial and it gets on with the job while you are driving with little distraction.

My BIL uses his all the time.

5 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

This is the 21st century Brew! :biggrin:

And we got here without a single mobile phone before 1973! How good are we?    ;)

On the topic of "no signal", my house and most of my 80 acres of land are a RF "black hole" as regards of frequencies above 440Mhz, in fact there is only one spot I have found that has any "bars" showing, and that is on the hill of my north west field.

One good thing about that is if we have guests stay over, their phones won't be a rude distraction, and their kids will leave with "cell phone withdrawal symptoms".

This whole area has poor signal reception due to the topography of the area, hills and dales.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ayupmeducks said:

Most newer vehicles this side of the pond, from around 2010 onwards have Wifi stereo systems, and as most modern cell phones have that same App, they can be set up for hands free operation via the vehicles radio/player.

There's a select button under the rear view mirror and on the steering wheel, press either and it goes into Wifi phone mode, once set up to recognize one's voice, you tell it what number to dial and it gets on with the job while you are driving with little distraction.

My BIL uses his all the time.

There are quite a few cars with voice activation. Tell the satnav where you're going, who to phone etc. I speak regularly with some senior police officers and it's their opinion the Dept of Trans has accepted that hands free is a 'hazard' and are considering a ban. The stumbling block is how to police it. 

In an accident one of the first things they check now days is your phone.

I'm a supporter of smart phones, but I agree they're convenient rather than essential. It's just that they make life much easier.

If you're in a pub talking about anything and everything, you can immediately find the answer to any useless information/general knowledge question which someone brings up. In the old days, that would've been a disagreement which would take ages - if ever - to be resolved.

Things like...........Who won the FA Cup in 1935....Who was Prime Minister in 1952....what year was Delilah the No1 single....Who were the presenters of How?...

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ayupmeducks said:

On the topic of "no signal", my house and most of my 80 acres of land are a RF "black hole" as regards of frequencies above 440Mhz, in fact there is only one spot I have found that has any "bars" showing, and that is on the hill of my north west field.

One good thing about that is if we have guests stay over, their phones won't be a rude distraction, and their kids will leave with "cell phone withdrawal symptoms".

This whole area has poor signal reception due to the topography of the area, hills and dales.

And I bet none of them die!

6 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:

I'm a supporter of smart phones,

So am I, or was. I thought 'what a great idea' and bought a Samsung S6 (a refurb because I'm a tight sod). Sadly I can think of no other use for it than calls and text with an odd photo. Tried accessing the 'Net when I first got it but it's such a palaver I gave up.

My old Nokia C20 does all that in a much smaller package. Anything else can wait

34 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:

Things like...........Who won the FA Cup in 1935....Who was Prime Minister in 1952....what year was Delilah the No1 single....Who were the presenters of How?...

I can honestly say I have never discussed any of those questions with anybody in or out of a pub!   

Sheffield Wednesday

Winston Churchill

It never was?

Fred Dinenage, Bunty Jones,  Jon Miller,  Jack Hargreaves

Only knew one of the answers without  googling!

• Like 2

I don't  have a Smart phone or want one!! If I  need to find out owt...I've  got NOTTSTALGIANS.:rolleyes:

17 minutes ago, MargieH said:

Only knew one of the answers

Me too... didn't bother looking for the other answers...

How!  Watched it religiously as a child. Was it Jon Miller who sustained several injuries as a result of explosions in his shed at home whilst experimenting with various chemicals. Never be allowed now. He'd be seen as a bad role model for children Elf & Safety- wise. Jack Hargreaves smoked his pipe throughout the programme! Tut, tut. Couldn't do that now, either!

How! The biggest tip I got off there was, how to straighten an offset bog roll. Never forgot that.

Talking "hands free" is no more distracting than talking to a passenger in the car.

On that subject, how come in movies, the driver looks at the driver while talking and never hits another car?? I take my eye's off the road for a couple of seconds and I'm on the hard shoulder or cross the double yellow lines!!!!  LOL

I'd hazard a guess the next most distracting thing while driving, after texting, is women with their brood in the back seat. The only accident I've been involved in was via a woman driver with a van load of kids. She rear ended me, I was waiting to turn right, loads of traffic, not only did she run into the back of me, but another idiot ran into the back of her. I had to laugh at him though, he'd just had the front of his car rebuilt and now it was an insurance write off. He was in tears.

Neither of them were happy with the police report, they were both cited for negligent driving and given a court date.

A variation on the subject of phones in a car.

People who stop their car when their phone rings - and just stop immediately at the side of the road, causing hold-ups and tailbacks. They'd argue that at least they aren't driving and phoning - which is true - but they still can't ignore the thing completely. They just stop instantly wherever they are and force everyone to manoeuvre around them.

Truckers over here use the head sets, the rules forbid them to have a phone in their hand while the vehicle is in motion. If they get caught breaking that rule, their CDL is pulled for life.  (CDL=Commercial Drivers License).

Most big rigs don't have bluetooth or Wifi, but I'd estimate it won't be long before that's a standard in newer tractors. Lots do have satellite connections to the company's dispatchers, all hands free.

As for SatNav, again once set up, you don't have to look at the screen, just listen to the dialogue. I have no choice on that one, I can't find a place to stick mine, on the dash would interfere with my view of the right side of the road, as would mounting it below my rear view mirror, there's no flat surface on the dash fascia, so it sits in the storage shelf over the transmission.

48 minutes ago, Ayupmeducks said:

I'd hazard a guess the next most distracting thing while driving, after texting, is women with their brood in the back seat.

I don't know, but my work mate and I were on our way to training course when we came to a stop due to the traffic. The next instant, our vectra was turned into a corsa by some stupid female that hadn't noticed that we had stopped. Dave and myself had a severe whiplash injury, she had what we thought was lots of blood on her face, it was infact, lipstick!!!

I've seen many young women doing their eyelashes at traffic lights, what I see is a young woman with one eye should she get rear ended.

It comes down to what 'they' consider an acceptable risk. Banning hands free phones is mooted because having a conversation whilst driving means you cannot give 100% concentration to the road. Taking this argument to it's logical conclusion, talking to passengers, listening to the radio, smoking are all distractions and should be banned.