What do you love about Nottingham?

I can't start as I don't live there,but i'm sure you guys have plenty of answers

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I too, no longer live in my home town but I always enjoy returning there and I have many fond memories of the city. The following came to mind: As a child: Accompanying my father to hear Hugh Gaits

Love the banter guys, carry on , us girls don't mind...........6 of us to 1 of you ......LOL

Think it is Stu. I doubt any of us Nottstalgia ladies ever noticed a shortage of men in our lovely city !!

Well I don't live there either, but along with the people the thing I love about it is it's rich history and the buildings. I know there is much history and old buildings all over England, but there's something about the ones in Nottingham that I'm drawn to. !englandflag!

Must be something in the Blood Elaine?

• 9 years later...

There are places with less crime,better City Centre's,nicer Parks,more interesting History,finer Buildings,better football teams,nicer Accents, more pleasing on the Eye,more varied shops,better Restuarants,.............but none with nicer People and its where i'm from,its Nottingham and I love it.............

• Upvote 4

I could easily make a list of things that I both love and dislike about it.

The first positive that comes to mind personally is the close proximity and easy access to the countryside from the city and its suburbs.

One of the things I love ( like most women) are the shops. The assistants dont look you up and down if you ask for a garment in your size, here they they check you out as if they dont believe you. ( only in some shops)

2nd you can find almost everything and a good selection too.

3rd I get to meet up with friends

4th people are friendly and even if you dont know them they always address you as " miduck"

5th. Many restaurants to choose from

And .....all of it !

And ......I feel at home again !

• Upvote 2

When i lived in Cambs in the 70s,travelling home the first sight of Nottingham i got was from top of that big hill nr Melton mowbary,it always lifted my spirits,then near to Cfifton bridge i could smell Nottingham,smokey still alot of coal fires...........then back in Bestwood and Bulwell the ay-ups started bloody lovely.

• Upvote 4

So much has been spoiled in Nottingham city centre but glimpses of the past still jump out at me from my teens and early twenties when I was studying at Trent and enjoying the city's nightlife. These bring some very happy memories of good times.

The great thing about it for me then, as now, was that you could easily walk around practically all of it on an evening -unlike other cities with a similar population.

I still enjoy the fact that it has some seriously old pubs and I think they tend to get taken for granted, or more often ignored these days.

There is still something about Slab Square - semi-ruined that it arguably is. It's a huge area relatively and still feels very much the 'centre of things' to me - in spite of everything.

I like the fact that two first-class football grounds and an international cricket ground are within the span of a few hundred yards. I remember Don Masson's words when he spoke of seeing Nottingham on the TV before he signed for Notts when the Test Matches were on and thinking what a great sporting city it looked. I totally agree with The Don's early assessment.

I'm an ice hockey fan of many decades and enjoy the fact that Nottingham is most certainly 'Hockey City GB' - without question. I like the fact that a bunch of Canadian lads brought it to the Lace City and the city took the game to its heart.

Not nowadays so prevalent but I liked the salt of the earth attitude that the mining towns of Notts gave to the county. Good honest working class people.

I have to be honest and can't say that Nottingham's people feel any more or less friendly than many other places I have been in this world but I'll tell you what I really like about Nottingham's people, it's their slight sense of rebelliousness and 'sticking it to the man'. With a long history of social unrest encapsulated by 'Ned Ludd' - real or imagined. The same goes for the outlaw felly in Sherwood Forest - real or imagined. It's a feeling and an attitude and I quite admire it.

• Upvote 4

My friends

Working in Farmers store: the city was so busy with lots of friendly people. We had lots of laughs.

Wollaton Park and museum.

The Highfields boating lake. Lots of fun and I never fell in!

The shops: the Co-op with its lovely stairs; Pearsons was like an Alladin's cave; looking at the glass in Tobys.

The countryside around Strelley, and the Broad Oak.

The choice of cinemas.

The central library in the big beautiful building. I was shocked when I visited and the library had moved!

Mortimer's hole and the Castle.

Some of these places on my list have gone now and when I take a trip around the city centre on Google Street View places are hard to recognise. These days my visits are just about work. I come off the M1 and go straight into Phoenix Park. The Premier Inn staff are lovely. I like visiting our Regional Office. The staff are great. Next time I must arrive early and catch the tram into the city. Nottstalgia has fired my curiosity and interest in Nottingham architecture that I never knew about before.

• Upvote 2

It's my "real" home and always will be no matter where I will ever be.

Shopping.

Old friends and acquaintances.

Trent valley countryside.

I seriously believe it still applies today LL. The pretty girls of the 60's & 70's are now beautiful mature women.

• Upvote 1

I am proud to come from Nottingham, I don't live there any more but at the back of my desk is a few small posters," Warning Nottingham ahead" the superman one I took off this web site about Bulwell, and my keyring saying "I love Nottingham" just to let these hayseeds know who they are dealing with thumbsup

Rog

• Upvote 2

Even though I live on a main road,I get up in the morning ,look out of the window and see people on the way to work,I look across the field and see trains and green fields.On the back garden ,the birds are singing,often see squirrels and other wildlife,even have a badger visiting at night.If I want to go into town it's not too far away.If I left I know I would regret it.Wonderful Nottingham.

• Upvote 3

At least the topic has a Nottingham theme.

I too, no longer live in my home town but I always enjoy returning there and I have many fond memories of the city. The following came to mind:

As a child:

• Accompanying my father to hear Hugh Gaitskell address the crowds in Slab Square (I didn’t really understand what was being spoken about but I remember being struck by how passionately it was said)
  • Seeing Vic Oliver in pantomime at the old Empire.
  • Going to Goose Fair at night and looking in wonder, over the entire site from the top of a helter-skelter
  • Listening to the Salvation Army band playing carols in Slab Square
  • Visiting the Gaumont cinema and sitting upstairs where the seating was raked at an unbelievably steep angle.
  • I also seem to recall that the Kardomah had a gentleman who used to lean out of an upstairs window to stir roasting coffee beans (but perhaps my memory is failing me)

As a young teenager:

• Skating (not very expertly) at the Ice Rink and colliding with people who were similarly inept – and both parties laughing!
  • Rowing the latest girlfriend in a hired boat on the Trent, on a summer’s
  • afternoon
  • Visiting the Midland Group art gallery when it was based opposite the Playhouse
  • Being taught flat green bowls by a kind elderly gentleman on the Forest bowling green, on a summer day when I couldn’t find anything to do and was watching him practice
  • Running in the Notts schools games at the Harvey Haddon stadium
  • Seeing (so many) live groups at the Boat clubs and the Dancing Slipper, West Bridgford
  • Going to the Beachcomber to see the Steampacket (Rod Stewart, Long John Baldry, Julie Driscoll, Brian Auger) – quite a show

As a young adult:

• The Who and also the Moody Blues at the (then) Technical College and Martin Carthy, folk singer, at the Polytechnic
  • Listening to live jazz in the Belvedere club (with the owner, Albert(?), on the drums!)
  • At night, photographing the construction of the Victoria Centre - nearing completion – from the top of the Trinity Square car park, as part of a project for Art College
  • The installation of the Heath Robison water clock in the Vic centre and the gathering of people to watch it strike the hour
  • Listening to Chris Bonington at the Albert Hall, talking about climbing Everest
  • Meeting a stunning girl in York House. She later became my wife.
  • As a teacher, visiting the Forest ground with a party of children with special needs. Cloughie ordered the players to spend some of their time training with the kids, who – of course, loved it!

As a parent

• Taking my children to Goose Fair (like the Big Wheel, life comes full-circle!)
  • Kenneth Alan Taylor’s pantomimes at the Playhouse – especially the New Year’s Eve performances singing Auld Lang Syne

I will always look back on living in Nottingham with very great fondness.

• Upvote 10