Watson Fothergill and his buildings

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Article and photos of Watson Fothergill's designed buildings in Nottingham   https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/history/gallery/wonderful-legacy-flamboyant-nottingham-architect-1999382

Keep em coming Dave this is what the site is all about   Rog

Posted Images

Copied & pasted from Historic Nottingham's Twitter feed

fighting for 3 1/2 years just to get to this position. 2nd time it's been damaged. Not an easy patch-up job. Internal damage too.

Oriel window & turret will have to come down piece by piece. Will take months to sort & no idea when it's starts. Also, no progress

re bollards & pavement changes needed to stop lorries doing this a 3rd time. Hope gets sorted asap

2 hours ago, NewBasfordlad said:

^^^^^^As long as you don't have to pay it Den. Just think even the bricks will have to be specially made as to consistency and size.

Nottingham Patent Bricks?

Worked there in 68. Made every brick imaginable. Hard work, but good money.

• Like 1

Have you heard of Phorpres' brick company Rog ?...........when i lived in Peterborough they employed 100s of people.......had a great social club and grounds..........played football and cricket for them....in the 70s........some great blokes,..........now all gone      club ,grounds, and probably most of the people...............

There's still some brick companies down there Ben, London Brick Company, all that area is on clay beds,answer to your question, Yes I heard of Phorpres,big company

Rog

• Like 1

Many Italians worked there Rog.....couple of good footballers i remenber well...........when i first moved there,knew a bloke who played for em,asked me to go training with em.....anyway did ok.....and made me sub for first game (me a sub? well !) their star man called Guiseppe or summat was late and me being sub thought,ey-up,on to start with.........no way...the Prats started with 10 men and me stood on the touchline.........angry? not the word,gave em some Bulwell/Bestwood words,(which i'm sure they did'nt understand)...........Guiseppe duly turned up ten minutes into game,.....told him what i thought as well.............then he got injured after ten minutes......and i got on..........knocked em 'BANDY''......kept Guiseppe out for rest of season............lol

• Like 1

Hope you didn't mention the war, we had a few Italians as well, when you got em working they were pretty good,it was just getting them started that was hard, good set of lads though

Rog

No Rog did'nt mention the war...............knew many italians in Peterborough........nice people......some of the blokes were too good looking but apart from that got on well with em................glad they knew nowt about Cricket.............

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

A brilliant job. One of the most beautiful buildings in Nottingham. Well done indeed !

• Like 1
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Watson Fothergill and his buildings