We're sailing pretty close to Dens famous giant bold font here.

I strongly object to the sanctimonious tone of some comments but will go no further - we should be on the political pages by now...

Going back a few days, there was a point where CV and politics crossed and couldn't be separated. (The Trump mask case).

The thread has drifted towards more blatant politics, so posts may have to be moved or removed.

• Like 1

@nonnaB  I wasn’t trying to criticise your post.  Sorry if it came across that way x

• Like 1

I don't envy your job as a mod on this one CT.

This CV seems to have become one of the most politicized diseases in history in most of our countries.  Some say lockdowns too long destroying the economy. Others, not long enough.  Some say masks infringe on freedom and on and on.  Apart from killing the sick this virus has done much to divide the still healthy.  Because ultimately govt leaders apply or do not apply the rules it can quickly descend into partisan politics.  Throw in a few immigrants who might be carrying the virus and it can quickly go off the scale.

I respect your decisions as a mod.  Always have! but I think I'm staying off either thread for the foreseeable future.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, radfordred said:

English?

Yes and English although we are in the minority, so we are well known.

Had a phone call from Cardiologists secretary on Friday asking me if I would take a cancelled appointment today at 1.50pm to have my 72hour Halter heart moniter fitted. No problem. Getting signs that need checking.

Hairdresser on Saturday 1st August. YAY. In my mams words.....I look like 'The wild woman of Borneo'?

Specsavers Tuesday 4th August. 

Just waiting now for new appointment for Colonoscopy that was cancelled in March.:wacko:

Really pleased because I was worried in case I had been forgotten. Still worried about going to hospital because of the Virus. From what I have seen in the shops lately, people are not wearing masks, keeping a distance, using the wipes and hand sanitisers, picking things up and putting them back down. Crazy world!

• Upvote 1

Dont worry Carni,  Hope all your exams go as planned

• Like 1

9 people died on Saturday from Covid, 20 from suicide & over 500 from cancer, let's not forget the other horrible things that need prioritising?

12 minutes ago, carni said:

Still worried about going to hospital because of the Virus. From what I have seen in the shops lately, people are not wearing masks, keeping a distance, using the wipes and hand sanitisers, picking things up and putting them back down. Crazy world!

In my experience, people are doing that kind of thing - even more than a few weeks ago. There seem to be more masks in supermarkets now than previously - even I'm doing it. And I think most people are trying to keep a safe distance from others. It's become an automatic habit with many.  A lot of shops have a sanitiser at the entrance and you can't really go in the place without using it. The good thing is that the panic buying and queuing from a few months ago have disappeared.

It's almost getting difficult to remember the 'good old days' when things were different.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Home Bargains on the Stafford Road yesterday. Only one staff wearing mask or gloves.

Apart from us ode codgers wearing ours you'd have had a job spotting a customer in a mask. I don't know if they offer protection, but until you have been coughed in the face by someone it may not seem necessary? the conversation at the till was by the customer to the assistant, that they are waiting until they have to wear one?

Any thing that might help is worth a try?

@radfordred   It was actually 40 people in the U.K. who died from Covid 19 on Saturday - but I agree, there are many other diseases/conditions which are in need off treating.

Is anyone else confused about the daily death figures?   Some days the new numbers and the total number add up correctly from the previous day, but sometimes they don't.   I like numbers in general so I keep a daily record ... not for any morbid reason, but just because I like statistics.

I know, I'm weird  :Fool:

Well done CT for posting the link. Hope people will start to use masks in UK. We've been wearing them for so long and you do get used to it. It's now automatic before we go out to reach for a mask.  I read as I think others did that a man in US went to a party and came away infected with the virus. As he was dying he told the nurse that he thought it was fake news, a joke, or just "joshing " because he didn't believe it.

Lots laughed at us in the beginning wearing masks but look at us now. Yes occasionally the new cases increase but then go down again. Here in Piemonte we have very few cases thanks to people being sensible and doing what we've been told to do. Now businesses are picking up and some sort of normality is returning.This is an ongoing virus and until everyone understands it will go on and on infecting until,a vaccine is found.

Do people without masks get fined as I've seen in news ? Here they were fined very heavily but I'm not putting a halo on Italys head because there are still some stupid people around , but maybe they prefer to pay the fine than to put food on their tables.

No one is immune. Keep safe

28 minutes ago, MargieH said:

I know, I'm weird  :Fool:

No need to tell us Margie... we already knew!               :rotfl:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MargieH said:

Is anyone else confused about the daily death figures?   Some days the new numbers and the total number add up correctly from the previous day, but sometimes they don't.   

I've found it also depends on where you look for your figures. Different sources are giving different totals depending on how they compile their data and where they get their information from.

There can also be variations in the timings involved, the geography, and the definition of what they count as "a death from Covid". 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Just done our food shopping in Beeston Salisbury's, Lidl, Iceland & nipped to Santader, counted two masks being worn out of 200/250 people, took a photo in the packed Lythan Sq yesterday where a young was playing a guitar, just scanned the photo not one mask! 

Who would ever believe you could walk into a bank wearing a mask and demand money with going to jail!

• Like 1

The cashier in Beeston Lidl should wear a mask charged me for 6 lettuce, I only brought one, good job I'm on the ball. 

It confirms what I always suspected. The NHS is badly run by managers who wouldn’t last five minutes in a commercial business environment.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2020 at 3:46 PM, radfordred said:

The cashier in Beeston Lidl should wear a mask charged me for 6 lettuce, I only brought one, good job I'm on the ball. 

Karma?

18 hours ago, philmayfield said:

It confirms what I always suspected. The NHS is badly run by managers who wouldn’t last five minutes in a commercial business environment.

It appears to me that NHST managers form a protective clique around themselves and their executive which run their management roles on a fear process.

None are brought to trial for their level of negligence. Their criminal mis-demeaners most of which are prima facie cases of individual or collective manslaughter. Seldom any are ever named or even remotely brought before the courts or public account tribunals.

• Like 1

It needs someone with extensive commercial experience to review the management systems of the NHS. I think there will be too much internal resistance for this to happen though from all those people with secure ‘non-jobs’.

• Like 1

I've said time and again any organisation that has a one to one ratio of support to production staff is a disaster. The rot, in my opinion, started somewhere in the 70's when they went with the concept of internal markets (American business modelling), and from Matrons and ward sisters to CEO's and ward managers. Seems to me they are all 'managers of something or other.

In 2013 they abolished the two types of NHS trust... and replaced them with five new ones!

Obviously each one needed an executive and board of directors and they in turn needed .... the gravy train rolls on and on.

As far back as 2015 Jeremy hunt was saying there were far too many 'NHS Trusts'

** For accuracy clinical staff are 53%  including technical  and ambulance staff, 27 700 more than 2019. Theses are hospital figures and do not include GP's etc.