• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Stavertongirl  thanks for telling me about the cakewalk being at Goose Fair,  just a quick story Friday night 8th Oct 1965 the following day was my wedding day, any way all the ladies had just had

When I was about 15 my two friends and I decided we wanted to be at Goose Fair when it ended at midnight (?) on the Saturday.  Another friend (Deirdre) and her brother lived up Sherwood Rise and invit

GOSH!!!!  Goose Fair what memories? age 13/15   used to walk down to the Forest from Robin Hood Chase with my  best friend Wendy Husband . each night Monday till Wednesday, What I here you l

They were the days Pete when you and me used to walk round the fair just to see how much ancient stuff was providing power or accommodation. Now with rip-off prices and stiff environmental laws, there is nothing decent to see.

I recall in our days in the 60's there were steam driven gallopers consisting of a small red painted steam engine driving a generator which was situated within the centre of the roundabout, the chimney exited out the centre of the canvas roof, every time your horse went past the boiler you got a blast of heat and burning coal, elf and safety wouldn't stand for that nowadays I suppose. Another set of gallopers was driven by a chuffing great gleaming showmans traction engine usually sitting near the corner whelk store and linked by huge cables, it was operated by a sooty, grimy youth surrounded by bags of coal.

The steam boats with the union flag roofs were also driven by a centre boilered steam engine which gave a ground shaking CHUFF at every down swing. The diesel power was provided by a variety of ancient trucks, many of WW2 vintage including Diamond T's, Scammels, Erf's, AEC's, Leyland's etc, etc, where are they now. Some of the caravans were cool too including converted, ancient NCT single decker buses, I could kick myself for not taking pictures of some of this stuff. I do have a video I filmed back in 1990 when some of the traditional rides and sideshows were still about, I recall filming while coming all the way down the old helterskelter , I'll have to try and find it.

• Upvote 4

Pat Collins of Bloxwich had at least one traction engine. Re the wagons, don't forget Albion, Fodens and Maudsleys. Great things.

The sight and sound of those power plants at the Fair back in the early 50s, together with the smell of the hot engines, is a lasting memory of Goose Fair at night for me!

Pete!! You'd better find that video! I would love to see it. What a pair of anoraks we were and proud. When I was on milk rounds in the 1970s we used to have chaps photographing the really old floats while still on charge. I wish I'd photographed a few.

Found this video on the Evening Post site a short time ago......Great shots of the Fair from above at night:-

http://www.nottinghampost.com/Goose-Fair-drone/story-23033556-detail/story.html

Amazing footage.

I've seen a few of these DJI Phantom videos now. The one of Wollaton Hall and Gunthorpe Bridge that are also on here somewhere are stunning too but this is the best of the lot.

I watched a fascinating short clip on YouTube that showed how these drones work then checked how much they cost and was quite surprised to find that they come in under £1000. Not cheap but when you consider what they can do I don't think it's too bad.

Technology has come such a long way. I remember back in 1978 borrowing a black and white video camera that weighed a ton. I'd just bought a very expensive VHS machine and there was a socket on the front that the camera plugged into. It provided power to the camera and you would then record direct to the tape in the machine. You could use your TV as a monitor.

Used to look forward to it as a kid, then when of drinking age, just an excuse to have a few too many, not that we needed an excuse...LOL

The ex used to take the kids, I was either on nights or had done a 12 hour shift and was too tired to go there.. Then left Nottingham in 75 to live in North Yorks..

Something I've never thought of before with the fair, there is most likely a committee who had a list of who was coming, how much space they need, and where to put them. I'm sure folks turn up to enjoy it without ever thinking how much thought went into the planning. Having served on many committees here, I know what a headache planning an event can be. Must admit, I never helped to plan anything on Goose Fair scale!

Can anyone out there help a old Nottitoneian Please, I would like to know, what date did Nottingham goose fair fall on , on the saturday 1945,? this would be most appreciated,

thanks alot Dennis.