Things you don't see anymore

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

Anyone remember this song? Written in teh aftermath of several prison escapes in late 1966:

If I remember that year,there were so many prison escapes Lord Mountbatten was brought in to head a commission.The press loved it every week they were legging it in every direction.

Hence the song "Over the wall we go!" Happy memories of Radio Caroline playing this song.

I seem to have a recollection of somebody showing us how to boil a tin of condensed milk (Can't remember how long for) then opening it , and it had more or less solidified and was eaten as a pudding on its own.

I wouldn't recommend trying it myself as I'd probably blow up the kitchen !

The Hairy Bikers showed how to do this. Boil gently for about two hours. cool slightly then open and use the creamy fudge. I boiled mine for two hours and it was too long. The fudge went crystallized. Next time I shall try 1½hrs.

The can will not explode; presumably because it is vacuum packed.

the wife with your slippers warming by the fire and your tea(hot meal) ready to be dished up within 5 minutes of walking through the door,and then she would go out and bring a jug of ale back from the beeroff,oops what am i saying,wheres my hard hat

It's the other way around in our house. I have her dinner on the table when she comes home.

• 3 months later...

Here's a blast from the past. The ultimate boy's toy of the 1960s. the Milbro catapult/gadder/galley (I've had this since about 1964):

IMG_7612.JPG?gl=GB

Highly unlikely to work on a wall tile . But apparently PVA glue poured into the gaps round a loose quarry FLOOR tile will fix it . PVA glue and condensed milk could look a bit similar , so I think someone was telling porkies .

Heres something you don't see .....The old number 800 batteries that went in cycle lamps .

A number 800 was 2 batteries stuck together and had a contact on the front and a flat "spring" contact on top as can be seen behind the lamp drawing .

Price of an 800 battery was 11 old pennies each .

See the price of the U2 battery at 5 old pennies each (that we now call a D size ) . So in todays money 2 for less than 5p as against 2 for £1 (cheap ones) now.

9139539166_b992719ef4.jpg.

I remember the (n)Ever Ready ones that used to suddenly give up the ghost when you were in the middle of nowhere and where you had to be able to take the lamp apart and clean and bend the contacts so that they'd work in the dark. And then see the lamp fade to a dull glimmer...

They also seemed to fur-up a lot quicker than modern ones - perhaps because of the paper wrappers?

image12_0.jpg

I realise Australia never had any world boxing champions (Beefy) so the only way we can get recognition for this chap is to combine him with Trevor S' #1474.

Carruthers became Australia's first universally recognised World Champion. Great Australians of the past--including Young Griffo, Mick King, and Les Darcy--had all won world titles, but they had not received international acceptance at the time of winning their respective crowns.

After defending his newly-won title against Vic Toweel in Johannesburg, and then against the American Henry "Pappy" Gault in Sydney, it was found that Carruthers was carrying a 30-foot-long tapeworm

"I realise Australia never had any world boxing champions".................................Then please tell me who the hell were Lionel Rose, Johnny Famechon, Jeff Fenech, Rocky Mattioli, Jeff Harding Barry Michael, Danny Green or Kostya Tszyu? They all held world titles in their respective weight divisions and some even held two world titles when they stepped up a division. Those world titles were successfully defended on many occasions by their respective holders as well.

And current world champions...........Sakio Bika - Super Middleweight WBC and Daniel Geale - Middleweight IBF.

Les Darcy never won a world title, but held three Australian weight division titles, including heavyweight. Similarly, Tony Mundine and Dave Sands were Australian Champions but never world title holders.

And we should not forget Joe Bugner, who came out here to Australia, took up Australian citizenship, won the Australian and the Pacific and Australasian Heavyweight Titles and in 1998, won the WBF Heavyweight Title and, after successfully defending that title the following year, retired to a life of ease on the Gold Coast.

No, when I think about it, we haven't had any world boxing champions, have we?

Why did you delay presenting these facts to Beefy when he was having a go at Ozzy boxers. ? I did not wish to become embroiled in a discussion you were handling quite well.

With tomorrows new Prime Minister(?) and a SOUTH AUSTRALIAN leading our team to victory we should get back to Australia beating Somerset !

Hey Beefsteak..........................Post #1477 might be of interest to you.

I thought I had informed you of the Australian calibre of pugilists on another topic recently but what the hell, take time out and read the above before you start jumping up and down about Froch.

You seem to be scraping the barrel with the names of some of your 'Australian' boxers. Rocky Mattioli was Italian, Kostya Tszyu was Russian and went to Australia when he was 23 years old, Johnny Famechon was French and Joe Bugner was a Hungarian who didn't go to Australia until he was 36 years old.

Do they have Abbo boxers?

Lionel Rose was an "Abbo" boxer.

Sorry Trev but Jeff Harding was a scouser.

You might as well give it up with porkbelly .I don't think he can grasp the fact that any body other than a er British person can do any good.

Baz :ninja: