Things you don't see anymore

The Indian sub-continent, especially Sri Lanka, still has school uuniforms that we would recognise today. The children all wear white shirts with dresses/shorts of the school colours, comlete with tie and satchels.

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

We tried to count the wind turbines off Skeg yesterday and could see 124 [ish] I'm sure there were more than that but that's all we could actually see. i quite like them - am I in the minority?

• Upvote 1

Dennis dustbin lorries.

Steam engines, at Goose Fair.

The Boys Brigade band marching through the streets

Young Policemen over 5 ' 5" (despite the average height having increased).

Women scrubbing the doorstep

Young ladies knocking on my door, hoping to get a date!

• Upvote 2

Big black Bakelite telephones. We had one with a dial on front and a brown twisted cord. we also had a party line we shared with another house round the Circus. You had to lift the receiver and listen to see if anyone was talking, if so, put it down, if not you could dial out.

Toothpaste that came in a round tin. It was solid and you wet your brush and rubbed it in the block.

Mascara was also in a block, with a little brush. You wet the block to masacar your lashes. Spit would do if you were not near a sink!

Furniture polish in a round tin, usually smelled of lavendar or lemon.

Public telelphones with an A and B button. Put in your 3 old pennies, press A if you got an answer, B if not, and you get your money back.

Gas meter you put money in. You got a rebate when the gas man came and emptied it.

It was 4 old pennies and you could talk forever.

Strawberryade.

Although I only ever remember it being made by Hole's of Newark. Very volatile stuff - you had to unscrew the stopper slowly or it would all come fountaining out of the top.

This happened to me tonight. I opened a bottle of home-made cider and it fountained like a Formula 1 Champagne! I lost half the bottle to the walls and ceiling :(

Milk carton vending machines. Those ladies with wallpaper tables selling papers in town on a sunday. Hobbing irons. bazooka joe.bananade."touchers"in the cinema.bob a job stickers on windows and bee top sauce.

Milkman with a horse and cart. Used to love collecting the manure for the rhubarb (and lets have no jokes about preferring custard!).

I remember a milk carton vending machine that stood outside a fishing tackle shop near the top of Hyson Green. Instead of milk it contained cartons of maggots. 2/- a carton if memory serves me correctly.

Four penneth of chips with batter bits for free !

I remember calling in a chip shop on Berridge Road, Forest Fields, with only a penny.

The man said he should not do it, but gave me a portion. It was about 1954-5. Great days.

• Upvote 1

On Saturday 14th March 1959 my dad went to Hillsborough to watch Nottingham Forest play Aston Villa. I looked through the official programme and found this instruction to those who attended the match:

"DON'T PACK UP PACKING UP: This is an All-Ticket Match with room for every ticket holder. May we ask all those on the tiers between the barriers to pack closely and thus obviate the difficulties caused when individually more space is occupied than is really necessary. THANK YOU FOR YOUR CO-OPERATION."

When I first read this I was horrified and felt quite cold thinking of what has happened there since. What has changed since then? Policing and organization and health and safety regulation to name just a few things. The style of English used in this amazing instruction would never be seen now.

• Upvote 3

That was most likely my uncle Les, he and his wife had a fish and chip shop on Berridge Rd.

GOOD MAN!