Things you don't see anymore

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

I had an issue with a teacher over my son''s work, she had red lined what she said were mistakes, forget all the facts but he had put the word million several times in an essay or something as in "the ship cost 20 million

to build" she had added a "s" to each time million was mentioned, turns out she was correct, (if more than one million) but have you heard anyone say such? as in "this weeks lottery prize is £8 millions" "wayne dickhead cost £20 millions"

anyway back on subject, things you don't see anymore

A yamaha motorbike that charges the battery! stupid nippon thing, am sure it's their revenge for losing WW2!

or how about a single battery as in torch or clock ones where you are forced to buy at least 2 or more in a pack

I still get the occasional £1 note but they are now rare. A friend got one in her change a couple of weeks ago and thought it was a joke!

For Mick2me:

Here is an ACTUAL chain. It has a government inspector's note attached saying "Checked 24/8/61 3½ " too long".

IMG_5493.JPG?gl=GB

I had an issue with a teacher over my son''s work, she had red lined what she said were mistakes, forget all the facts but he had put the word million several times in an essay or something as in "the ship cost 20 million

to build" she had added a "s" to each time million was mentioned, turns out she was correct, (if more than one million) but have you heard anyone say such? as in "this weeks lottery prize is £8 millions" "wayne dickhead cost £20 millions"

She is correct in as much as 20 millions is multiple millions but if you wish to say millions of pounds including a figure it can be 20 million pounds. In this scenario the pounds are plural, there being more than one but the million is a figure not requiring to be stated in plural form. I think ;)

Just looking at some old bits and pieces, and found a notebook that belonged to my mum. In the back was a receipt for 5 hundredweight of coal delivered in October 1950 by E Spencer, coal merchant, 490 Aspley Lane. Price was 18/9d - i.e. 3/9d (just under 19p) a cwt. Before you say "them were the days" I also found my dad's P60 for the tax year 1966/67. As a railway clerk his salary for the year was £739 - that's right, £14.21 a week - but we made jolly sure we had our money's worth out of the free tickets!

A couple of pictures of things you don't see any more:

Cadbury's Chocolate advert from 1901:

scan0002.jpg?gl=GB

LNER Camping Coach Advert:

scan0001.jpg?gl=GB

• 4 weeks later...

I took some real money (farthing, halfpenny, penny, threepenny pieces [silver and brass], sixpence, shilling, florin, half crown and a crown) in to work to show 25-30yr olds and they were absolutely enthralled by this strange money. the only one they recognised was the crown but none of them realised that it used to be real money and not just a token of remembrance for some event, such as a jubillee.

What is wrong with people? I'm 27. I've known about past currency since I was 10, because my parents and grandparents told me and showed me coins they had knocking around. Don't people talk to their kids any more?

Twas strange the change from £'s shillings & pence to decimal............................good job that we were taught our

'tens and units' at school in the fifties, anyone remember them?

I was taught using hundreds, tens, and units in the 80s/90s.

She is correct in as much as 20 millions is multiple millions but if you wish to say millions of pounds including a figure it can be 20 million pounds. In this scenario the pounds are plural, there being more than one but the million is a figure not requiring to be stated in plural form. I think ;)

You are correct! *high five*

• Upvote 1

What is wrong with people? I'm 27. I've known about past currency since I was 10, because my parents and grandparents told me and showed me coins they had knocking around. Don't people talk to their kids any more?

I was taught using hundreds, tens, and units in the 80s/90s.

One problem with a calculator is they are of little use in old money/weights & measures.

28 grams to the ounce, 16 ounces to the pound, 14 pounds to the stone 112 pounds to the hundredweight.........2240 pounds to the ton.

12 pence =1 Shilling, 20 shillings = 1 pound(£)

Try 7oz of cheese at 2/6 a pound!

I can remember "Black Jacks"

4 for a penny or 960 for a quid.

I still have my Thornton slide rule - just in case!

Yes, I still know how to use it!

I believe that there is still a £1 note used in Scotland, Compo to confirm?

I saw a £1 Royal Bank of Scotland Pound note the other week. Still legal but very rare now. AFAIK the last big issue was the Queen Mother's 100th.

I have a mariner's distance slide rule. Don't know how to use it though. Anyone got an abacus?

Vernier calipers measuring tiny fractions of an inch seem to have gone too. I have one that measures inches but it is in decimal places not fractions.

Log tables were useful in their day and will still be useful in major power outages if a person is doing a load of decimal calculations. I have a calculator here that I rarely use most of it's functions, in fact never used on a lot of it's functions.

Mick how about sines and cosines tables....

I still have log tables, most electrical/electronic math books have a full set of them in the back.

Been years since I used a slide rule, probably wouldn't know which end to start on these days, not even sure if I still have my old pocket slide rule or if I tossed it or lost it..

And, as if by magic, up from the slimy depths of the grey matter comes the acronym SOHCAHTOA - Sine = Opposite over Hypotenuse; Cosine = Adjacent over Hypotenuse; Tangent = Opposite over Adjacent. Don't think I ever quite understood the significance of it though...

And, as if by magic, up from the slimy depths of the grey matter comes the acronym SOHCAHTOA - Sine = Opposite over Hypotenuse; Cosine = Adjacent over Hypotenuse; Tangent = Opposite over Adjacent. Don't think I ever quite understood the significance of it though...

Welcome to the forum...I do hope we have further friendly chats...However I should point out that I have English as my first language...no doubt an interpreter will come forward so we can communicate further... :unsure:

• Upvote 1

Well if you're not involved in the design of transformers, alternators, radio frequency circuits, or a surveyor, I doubt most people would use sines/cosines/Tangents etc....

Last time I used sines and cosines was at tech as an electrical apprentice, I have used logs tables pre calculator days since my apprentice days..

I used all the trig functions from time-to-time in accident reconstruction! Even used those functions on my calculator, but these days it is better to use the functions in a spreadsheet (yes, they are all there) as that also nicely documents the work for you!

So yes, SOHCAHTOA came in handy, as did BODMAS, and a rather politically incorrect rhyme for remembering the resistor color code!