Things you don't see anymore

I'm certain there are numerous around the city Lizzie. However, I'll not make a special quest to track them down.

It'd be an interesting project though ! Another bit of history.

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

Bee Top sauce

Seeing Plantfit's picture of the "Lion" fire hydrant reminded me of one I photographed in a wintry garden in Port Stanley, Falkland Islands back in 1987  The was another on the street corner too:

34530386726_aab818e9fc_c.jpg

• Upvote 1

P1050608_zps0blbyihr.jpg

Any one still use these?Black and Decker D600  two speed drill with jigsaw attachment and Black and Decker D500 single speed drill both in good working order

P1050609_zpsesha2ja8.jpg

And on the subject of drill here's a couple of owduns,still in good working order

Rog

Brass paraffin blowlamp and anyone remember from the 1960's the Rom Pom grease gun advertised as having so many thousands pounds of pressure at the grease nipple end,once again both still working

P1050610_zpslqu1hwdm.jpg

Rog

P1050611_zpstfsyqobt.jpg

Pair of 8mm cine projectors don't know why I have these,never used them but both are in very good working condition and up for sale if anyone interested

Rog

I'm with you on the cine projectors, Rog.  I still have a nice Bell and Howell super 8 along with a Canon cine camera.  Doubt if they will ever sell, but I'm too daft to just chuck  'em out.  I copied all my movies to DVDs and added, music, commentary etc.. No doubt my kids will ditch those as well when I expire.  I'm not sure you can even buy blank super 8 cassettes any more.

I've still got a wheel brace, used to have the B&D accessories for the drill, sold them before I migrated, now have all the big boy toys, Radial Arm Saw, Band saw, Table Saw etc.

Got one in me other shed with loads of bits of different shapes and styles Loppy,I'll get a pic of them tomorrow and post it here

Rog

• Upvote 2

I've a brace, in fact a modern one I've had a few years and some antique ones. Plenty of bits, bought a top of the line set when I lived in Sacramento.

Costliest things I keep buying are 1/2" router bits.

I only see the scales that hang from the stall roof frames on the markets these days,does anyone use the counter top ones?although this is marked off in Kg's I still don't see any about

P1050613_zps0q36ddcv.jpg

I am beginning to ask myself "why do I keep all this junk?"

Rog

How odd that you should mention the scales, Rog. I was looking at two sets in a street market in Villa Real Santo Antonio just last week. I thought of buying a set but with my Ryanair luggage allowance I had no hope of getting it home for less than a fifty quid excess charge.

I still have a brace and bit drill, hand drill, B&D metal two speed drill (With several attachments) and three paraffin blowlamps.  All of those tools are still in use too.

I have a set of counter top scales that are balanced using weights rather than a sliding scale (photo later)  That particular set is not in use but I do have a smaller set of Salter balance scales in everyday use.

Nice one Compo.I have a four pound iron weight for balance scales,for some obscure reason it's in the greenhouse,I really must have a good clear out

Rog

Plantfit #4063

I've still got a two tone brown Black and Decker 2 speed drill with the diecast body and also a blue coloured circular saw attachment for it.

Put some new brushes in some time ago, it started to smell a bit "hot" on the last heavy job I did so I think it maybe on the way out.

50 years of a hard life and now its worn out, they don't mek em like they used to.

I bet the replacement that I will have to no doubt have to get will not last that long.

• Upvote 1

These two of mine are in good working order and do get some use now and again when I'm waiting for the re-chargeable ones,I have a blue circular saw attachment somewhere as well,thanks for reminding me

Rog

I;m same Loppy............ain't got any........and don't any either.............lol.

• Upvote 1

There is place here called Harbor Freight Tools.  I bet John knows it in Missouri.  They sell tools at very good prices.  Mostly made in the Far East.  I've bought quite a few automotive tools there.  Wrenches (spanners) ball joint splitter, grease gun etc.. They all work well and seem to be holding up.  Gotta give credit where it is due.  :)

Pillar%20drill_zpsyiijvt4t.jpg

Braces%20and%20bits_zpsapyxxpms.jpg

When dad died I inherited his tools. Top picture is his pillar drill - bought before the war for 17/6. Just about the most wonderful and useful tool in my collection. The bottom picture shows three braces, you might say the Mk.1, Mk.2 and Mk.3.

• Upvote 3

When my Dad died............i did'nt inherit his tools................he never had any either...................lol.

• Upvote 1

Found my old 1913 Melhuish tools catalogue and thought some of you might like to see it and some of it's contents

P1050614_zpszdslggev.jpg

Early electric drills,DC current,I bet they were a barrel of laughs to use

P1050615_zpsnh6kx8lc.jpg

Lovely pillar drill,but I suppose like all the rest of the tools from that era they finished up down the scrap yard

P1050616_zpsim42clc7.jpg

Plenty more pictures to post if anyone interested or if there is a particular tool that could be in there,and I will have a look for you

Rog

• Upvote 3