Things you don't see anymore

Not forgetting Passive smoking,those poor unfortunates who suffered the effects of tobacco smoke and never touched a cigarette in their lives

Rog  (ex smoker and now paying the price)

• Like 2
  • Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

On 12/03/2018 at 10:51 AM, Ayupmeducks said:

Still available Compo [Blick]

Yebbut is it still 2/3d per packet, Meducks? :crazy:

On ‎11‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 0:04 PM, Compo said:

When I was living in Ethiopia in the mid-1980s, Some Cuban troops were based there.  For Birr10 (£3:00) one could buy a foil wrap of 25 "Churchill" size cigars from those troops!

Went to Cuba on holiday and the chap there said the best Cigars had to be hand rolled on "Virgin Thighs"

• Like 1
5 hours ago, mary1947 said:

Went to Cuba on holiday and the chap there said the best Cigars had to be hand rolled on "Virgin Thighs"

Here's a photo of a Cuban tobacco farmer, rooling a cigar from his own tobacco, taken by me in 2001:

199485_1664997067271_3820844_n.jpg?oh=46

• Like 1
1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

He obviously got a little board of rolling on virgin’s thighs.:biggrin:

Or couldn't find a virgin !!

17 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Compo if he is "Rooling" it is waccy baccy!

It's my fingers that were rooling, Ian; I think they have become dyslexic.  I used to be able to type but now I have to check and re-check everything they do. :(

• Like 2

What about those plastic sandals that wore away rather quickly if you had a scooter, well one of them did anyway!!. I think they had a name but not sure.

I believe they were Kath. 

I thought that if I saw the name it would be instantly remembered,  but it's not jogged any memories, so can't confirm one way or the other.

1 hour ago, Compo said:

I have to check and re-check everything they do. :(

Has your computer got a smell chekker Compo? slywink

Mine as but I dont fink it werks

Rog

I haver no idea Rog.  Even if it did have one, I don't think it would recognise some of the dialect words that I type :)  My main problem is the letter 'e'.  Words containing 'e' such as 'the' and 'some' usually come out with the 'e' in the wrong place.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Jellies were long after my time as a child, Kath.  My friends had those leather sandals, Clarke's?  I had to wear special shoes with rigid uppers and a leather sole to try and straighten my feet.  I was born with them looking at each other - head on! :(

Here's one for the girls. I'm reading a series of books set in the 30's, and a dirndl skirt was mentioned. They were popular in my youth, I made one in needlework class at school.

• Upvote 1

There is no dip stick to check the oil in my car. I have to go into the menu of the on board computer! Technology! Before my dad let me learn to drive I had to learn how to check the oil, coolant, tyre pressures, tyre tread, fill the windscreen washers, jack the car up and  change the wheel. I can still do all of these except the wheel change. It is safer to get the experts in as they bring the power tool to use at the roadside and the roadside assistance is something I pay for.

Wish I could get my youngest to learn how to do that stuff with the car.  She can't even read a map and does everything by Satnav, which means that about 99%of the time she has no clue where she is.  For someone who has flown practically everywhere in the World.. I find it bizarre.

Blokes cycling to work on bikes with mudguards, wearing Flat Caps, Gabardine Macs and bike clips.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Plastic folding rain hoods.

...and Black Plastic Macs..