katyjay

Things you don't see anymore

Those little tins of coffee. Powder, not granules! One of those wouldn't last me a day! I don't drink tea. 

Blue order book lived on the bottom shelf of the pantry when not in use, alongside paper bags which had been smoothed flat for reuse. EEEEH! You can't teach this generation much about recycling, make do and mend.  Bubble and squeak for Friday tea, using up the leftovers. In our house, food was never wasted. Mum's mantra was. WASTE NOT, WANT NOT and it's very true!

• Like 2

Same here with the Coffee Jill,,,,,iv'e not drunk tea since school days.......in 1960 not many folk drank coffee on a regular basis at home,,,

Once i had sampled a coffee bar with music that was it,,,,''Once our beer was frothy,,but now its frothy coffee''' fings...............carnie!!!!

'Is it true what momma says, you wont come bac'k. We will get our hands slapped for going off topic  you boys.:rolleyes: lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, benjamin1945 said:

Orders were usually collated on a friday and delivered saturday morning,,,

Delivered by what means ? On a bike with a big basket...or by more modern methods ?

Bike obviously cliff ton..........with a basket big enough to fit ''Dolly'' in,,,,,

Them old Bikes had no gears and were very hard work......especially with those very steep hills on Bestwood estate,,,

Didn't  help either Ben, having a small wheel at the front. My butchers bike was just the same. 

22 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Bike obviously cliff ton..........with a basket big enough to fit ''Dolly'' in,,,

Ive often mentioned Dolly,,had a funny relationship with her really,she was 14 when i was 15,,but somehow always had a laugh with her,,never dated but always liked her,,often with her being so small gave her a lift in me basket,,

Remember her laughing when i fell from the Granville coming down a steep embankment,on Bestwood estate,, stole a peck on the cheek from her once at friday dance club,,aah often wonder what became of her,,when i left Marsdens Andover road to start my wonderings never saw her again,:

• Like 3

On 10/8/2019 at 6:08 PM, benjamin1945 said:

Them old Bikes had no gears and were very hard work......

Combining this subject with Talking Pictures TV.....

This morning I caught a few minutes of a 1950s film with Mr Pastry, and in several scenes he was riding around on a butcher's delivery bike....and a dog in the basket.

• Like 1

The little white dot in the top right hand corner of the tv screen, immediately before adverts come on when watching ITV. 

I used to think it was an indication to put the kettle on !

Bought some last week in morrisons 

I was musing on the topic of Potted meat/beef this morning as I was out on my bike - as you do. I came home and lo! potted beef is mentioned in this topic. So, here in Scotland, potted beef is a a jar of gelatinised beef strips and not the paste that we loved as kids in Notty. I now have a burning question: Is potted meat/beef still available in the Midlands or has it gone the way of many other goodies over the years?

Have had Potted Meat once a week on oven bottem muffins for the last two weeks. Wife buys it from our local ASDA  in plastic pots and it still tastes as good as I remember it.

• Like 1

Was Garth the strong one in the newspaper cartoons or was it in a comic?l remember it vaguely was there also a female here called Jane and also  a follow called Jane the daughter of Jane.

Garth was one of the cartoon strips in the Daily Mirror - as was Jane. There was a whole page dedicated to cartoon strips in those days (1950s) it may be similar now - we don't get that newspaper over here except for a few copies for tourists on the Côte  

I can't remember the names of many of the strips but Pip, Squeak and Wilfred; Andy Capp; Perishers and one with a professor (or Dr) Lumiere although he may have been in the Garth strip

Prof.Lumiere was and is with Garth in the Daily Mirror. I've  mentioned this before, but many years ago, as a nipper, I  saw a real Jane at what was the Olympia in Bulwell market. She was making an appearance and one of my dads jobs when he worked there was to stand in the wings and pass cloaks/drapes over the ladies shoulders when they came off stage.

Garth cartoon is nowhere near as good as it was. He's  built like a brick outhouse now, a neck like a tree trunk.

Our Mam allus useter buy this tea; except I think it were abaht a tanner then, not 1/9d:

R91UV6lHIR2XcsBk8aYXEv7nuzFTVRoqr4Qowgzw

• Like 1

I can't see which tea Compo's Mam used to offer 'cos all I get is a sort of no entry sign.

I almost always drink Earl Grey (without milk) as french-made tea is an abomination and Earl Grey is less easy to get wrong. I've mentioned this before about the french not having a clue about making tea and, no matter how much I tried to teach them, they always think they know better how to do it.

I may have already written but when I first moved here, I had a secretary made tea directly in the kettle (cutting out the middleman - the teapot, even though it was provided). Boiled tea is singularly disgusting to drink but I could never get her to see the difference of teapot/no teapot.

• Like 1

Compo's curse is still working it seems....  :(