Fairy towers - hated getting in the lift with any butch looking women! I remember a very good looking security guy (real eye candy) who worked in the security which the office was on 4th floor not you I take it Ashley? LOL! Yes, the roof garden was littered with folks rubbish that was thrown out of windows from all floors.I remember there being mice as well scuttering about on that roof garden.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If the front entrance says INTU, does the side exit say OUTOF?

An interesting article in the Nottingham Post today shows photos of the Victoria Centre construction. http://www.nottinghampost.com/pictures/Nottingham-s-Victoria-Centre-years-pictures/pictures-25712

In related news lets hope the latest plans for Broadmarsh Shopping Center go ahead

"(real eye candy) who worked in the security which the office was on 4th floor not you I take it Ashley?"

cheek! why ever not! lol, no that was in later years, do remember going into old office was it flat 4.16? to collect keys to do a job and girls in office were going on about this bloke who lived in this flat, how both fancied him, as it was this bloke was in, big blond guy, I think Swedish and pro piano player, also bent as nine bob note!

"(real eye candy) who worked in the security which the office was on 4th floor not you I take it Ashley?"

cheek! why ever not! lol, no that was in later years, do remember going into old office was it flat 4.16? to collect keys to do a job and girls in office were going on about this bloke who lived in this flat, how both fancied him, as it was this bloke was in, big blond guy, I think Swedish and pro piano player, also bent as nine bob note!

It certainly sounds like same guy - muscular, blonde/fair hair - didn't know he was swedish or a piano player???? Thought he was called something non swedish like Paul? Sure he wasn't gay as he used to eye us ladies up in lycra and rubber, thigh length boots - yikes already said too much.... do NOT wear any of that anymore mind..... he WAS real eye candy but at the time more into long haired make up wearers - sadly! I lived 4- 10 flat

no, didn't work there was a resident, I'm saying gay, fact bathroom full of framed paintings of nude blokes a bit of a give away? talking of "kinking clothing" on another key left job there was a suspender belt and pair of sheer fully fashioned black nylons hanging in an airing cupboard, I had to move such to get at the water tank, I thought I've just got to meet this woman! so went back to "check for leaks" only to be greeted by older lady in full Salvation Army outfit!

• 5 years later...

Between 1979 and 73 I worked in the design office at Raleigh and had to go now and then to John E Wrights on Huntingdon Street for drawing equipment supplies. The construction of Victoria Centre was underway and there was a walkway though the ground floor which ran from what is now the main entrance opposite Burger King and came out on glasshouse street and I'd go through this as a shortcut. It was lit with string of bulbs and work was going on either side of the fenced off walkway. You wouldn't get this with Heath and safety concerns now but it was interesting to see progress every few weeks.

So what other bits of old Nottingham are going to"disappear" under that lot? :(

From that impression, it certainly looks like all the west side of Carrington St from the canal and over Canal St. It appears they might make a feature of just the end part that used to be Redmaynes.

It seems the council want the ' southern gateway ' to be pedestrianised, right up to the station.

• Upvote 1

For those interested in the Broadmarsh Shopping Centre redevelopment, here is a forum that has an interesting thread on the redevelopment ... And other articles about Nottingham, an architect friend sent me the link...

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=506432

where's the bus station in that pic ??

They seem to have conveniently ignored it. Perhaps it's going to move up to the railway station and tram stop near Station Street...........and the illustration also shows no mention of the car park - whites above the present bus station.

• Upvote 1

where's the bus station in that pic ??

According to the site plans in that linked thread, they will be building a new bus station and car park on the other side of the tram line, beneath Middle Hill.

Frequently in the late 50's up to 62. Best cuppa anywhere !!!!!!

• Upvote 1
  • 6 months later...

Trawling thru some old threads..on this terrible wet night,got to thinking of retail outlets when Victoria centre was new.Scan,Westerner, Peter Brown,Lord John,Habitat, Jeffs, Wimpy,etam,Orange Hand,Richard Shops,I'll Leave It,Boots,Western Jean co,the booths (tiled)papers, cobblers,hippy jewellery, Dennis & Roberts, Chelsea Girl,DER,intercom,2 pubs,Wh Smith,Peter Lord to name a few.