Nottingham cinemas

#105, What a damn fine organ Stu!!

I can think of about a thousand answers to that Paulus and none of them recordable here!

Anyway, here's a local blogger's interpretation of some former local cinema's. The rest of the site is worth a look too, some interesting stuff there.

http://tgc6266gmail....glory-days.html

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Today accompanied by Mrs C we took a nostalgic trip to the old CapitolĀ  cinema on Churchfield Lane. Last visit was in '65 when I took a young lady to see Dr Who & the Daleks. The Capitol as many i

It was the 'Ritz' Margie,.............and i'm gutted you don't remember me.

#211 & 213, katyjay will not remember the very first time she went to the pictures. I took her to the Aspley - she would have been about five. The first thing on screen was the news. When that end

Thomas

The cinema at the bottom of Bath St opposite the park was called the Empress I used to go there in the early 1950s and the one further up St Anns Well Rd was the Cavendish

Thanks lynmee, I went to both of them in the 50s.

We used to go round all the flea-pits trying to get in to see the X rated films. They would seem like comedies compared to todays standards. Must admit I had forgotten about the "Empress". There was one just on the West Bridgeford side of Trent Bridge, never knew it as a working cinema but remember playing on the demolition site when it was pulled down, the stuff we found there would have filled an antique shop.

Sorry no Cliff ton other side of tb just on the corner where you turned down for the trent end at Forest FC think the Outlaws bar may have been built there later. I went to both the Globe and the Grove in the Meadows when they were open, saw "love me Tender" at the Globe & "The Great Locomotive Chase". My memory is hazy about the Outlaws bar I know it was a large hotel built there with a bow front, bankrupted one company and another finished it.

Just a quick look on google it might have been called "The Plaza"

The cinema on the Wes Bridgeford side of Trent Bridge was definitely called the Plaza. Passed it every day for several years between RoT and Arnold High School. Even back then in late 50s, it was half demolished but the front entrance doors and surrounds still stood, complete with concertina steel gates across the entrance to what would have presumably the foyer etc. Remember the colour as blue and white and the space between the steel gates and the entrance doors weas full of rubbish. Funny how they left the entrance way standing for so long. Next door to the site was a driving school and next to that was a florist shop where I bought my Mum a hyancinth in a pot for her birthday or something. Forget what was next but just round the corner was Mansells.

• 3 months later...

There were two cinemas on Beeston high street, within a few hundred yards of each other, the Palace and the Palladium.

The last film I recall seeing at the Palace as a kid, was 'Reach for the Sky',with Kenneth Moore.

I think they were converted into super-markets, or whatever.

Can't remember them being demolished,while I lived in Beeston.

• 5 months later...