mariag

What are you reading at the moment?

I have just started reading a book that was written by a friend from the next village. It is about building a community. The small village has two busses per week and the only amenity was a 90 year old condemned army hut, used as the village hall. They did have a phone box but that was taken away 10 years ago. This almost isolated village with 230 inhabitants, the same as 200 years ago was a forgotten place. With no pub, shop or PO for people to meet, most villagers only knew their nearby neighbours. Following an 8 year project they now have a vibrant community and a brand new village hall. A picture of my cider press is in the book. They use my equipment for their Cider making co-operative. The book, BUILDING A COMMUNITY, how one village achieved it's dream, could be used as a guide for other isolated villages. The author Barry Dore is a leadership guru.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

That sounds great PP it's a book I would like to read.

The book, BUILDING A COMMUNITY. The author Barry Dore is a leadership guru. Forgot to add that Barry is a Nottingham lad and educated at Trent Uni. The book is a paperback of 126 pages. The story takes up about two thirds and the other third (in boxed sections) is about leadership. If where you live has little or no community spirit and you are interested in leadership then this book is a great guide. Worth a tenner from www.barrydore.com

Just finished "The Forgotten Garden" by Kate Morton. It is somewhat over-long at 645 pages but holds the interest throughout.  The story takes place over a century in the life of a family, separated by a series of events. Not a bad read but I would have preferred it condensed into perhaps 400 pages.

My new book is "The Dark Angel" by Elly Griffiths. I'm currently just under half way through and still interested in the plot :)

• Like 1

Just finished reading 'Lines Into Nottingham Victoria', by Bill Taylor. Superb photos and enlightening captions. Most of the pics are from Don Beecroft's collection and a few others too. Only a couple of them had I seen in print previously.

At the other end of the literary spectrum, I'm just about to start on another Christmas present 'Remembering the Freebirds of Southern Rock'. The story of Lynyrd Skynyrd and their rise to fame, tragedies, break ups, reforming, substance abuse, more deaths, and the destructive forces that tore them apart. Then their relentless drive to carry on to worldwide fame. 

Should be some read ! 

Just reading a Charles Dickens book, a Tale of  two newspapers, it was the Bicester Times, it was the Worcester Times.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Doesn't that feature Mr Carton? 

I was re-reading Tales of Two Cities only a few weeks ago. (the one with Mr Carton the lawyer).

Interesting read for those who like a good moan

DSCF3983.jpg

Rog

• Like 3

Drat,the publishers missed my name off again

Rog

• Like 2

No you are the actual ghost writer Rog..me and mick ripped you off!

Sorry..cheque is in the post mate.

Ian.

• Like 1

I have just finished reading all four volumes of Steel Wheels and Rubber Tyres. The autobiography of Geoffrey Hilditch, a former municipal transport general manager. A cracking read for anybody with an interest in public transport.

• Like 2

PM's seem popular at the mo..have just read about Harold  and Lady Falkender..Ben Pimlott  writes a real PM...worth a read.220px-Harold-Wilson-1-Allan-Warren-1.jpg

• Like 3