AEC renown was the first type of bus I drove in service after passing my test. Also the only type of bus available I hadn't done a days training on. All my newly passed mates started in the morning on quiet roads and empty buses. Not muggings here. No!! My first job was taken up in the street at 4PM going into town. It was full standing and I drove all the way into town with the doors open as I couldn't find the lever to close them. Also. I kept wondering what the loud banging noise was. I soon found out. I was shaking so much that my foot was banging on the gas pedal. Within a couple of days, all fear had gone. Nice buses but cussed to drive. I much preferred the Leyland and Daimler rear entrance buses with either crash box (Leyland) or epi-cyclic gearbox (Daimler). I absolutely hated Leyland Atlanteans. They were too big for the narrow streets of Glasgow.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Smoking upstairs only please.

This page brings back memories. From early 1968 to march 69 (When I left England with my family) I worked for Nottingham City transport on the 39 run and occasionally on the 24 route. On the 39 rout

Re #54 - actually, it wasn't going TO Bestwood Estate when the picture was taken. It was just about to turn into the Trinity Square terminus. I believe the 64 went to Gladehill Road in those days. It's probably quite a while before 1966, because it pre-dates the new paint-job with wide areas of cream between the decks.

Not in Glasgow they weren't. Mind you I think by the time I got to drive them they were trying to get all routes one man operated and that meant getting rid of all the old buses. Shame as I really loved the old Leylands. At least you actually drove them. The Atlanteans were just so cumbersome and we had some of the originals which were well and truly knackered.

• 2 weeks later...

So from what you have all said about its location, are we saying that it is at the way into Victoria Embankment? Surely Trolleys never went across Trent Bridge.

Can't ever remember trolley wires going over Trent Bridge, they went part way along the Embankment then along Bunbury Street to the bus depot. My mate lived across the road from the depot & I was fascinated watching the trolley buses going past, wasn't the same when the diesel buses took over. :(

So from what you have all said about its location, are we saying that it is at the way into Victoria Embankment? Surely Trolleys never went across Trent Bridge.

Correct, they didn't. The closest they got to going over Trent Bridge was the location shown in the photos, which is the last thing before crossing the bridge.