NCT got around this problem with the "J" registered Atlateans, they were lowbridge but without lowered gangways or long bench seats. I don't know how they did it but it was someting to do with "dropped axles"? Perhaps someone with technical knowledge could help here?

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Old Market Square , Nottingham c1960s

King Edward Street, Nottingham 1976 Former site of Central Market after it moved into the Victoria Centre & was being used as temporary parking for the Nottingham City Transport buses Ph

Looks like the word & song players have woke up bored to death, here have something Nottingham.  Have a good day, try & get yourselves outside today, it's later than you think    

Think you are referring to the two AEC Renowns acquired by West Bridgford in 1965 - BRR241C and BRR242C. These had a low floor arrangement (downstairs that is), which allowed the normal layout upstairs with 2+2 seating either side of a central aisle. In the West Bridgford fleet they were nos. 41 and 42. When they were taken over by NCT in 1968 they became nos. 393 and 394.

Here's a link to a picture : http://www.old-bus-photos.co.uk/?p=421

NCT got around this problem with the "J" registered Atlateans, they were lowbridge but without lowered gangways or long bench seats. I don't know how they did it but it was someting to do with "dropped axles"? Perhaps someone with technical knowledge could help here?

This article explains everything

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Lodekka

Awsome pics!! I remember as a Kid being on the upper deck with my mum and dad amongst the smokers!, not surprising i was always feeling sick on the Bus, wonderful pictures of Broadmarsh, does anyone have pics of the Cafe there it was Round shaped with lots of glass very 1930's looking?

East Midland used to run lowbridge buses on the 12A from Nottingham to Chesterfield. We used to go on top, just for the novelty of it. Not sure where the low bridge was on that route, unless it was one of the railway bridges at the bottom of Nottingham Road in Mansfield.

• Upvote 1

wonderful pictures of Broadmarsh, does anyone have pics of the Cafe there it was Round shaped with lots of glass very 1930's looking?

Must've been in it hundreds of times when I was a kid

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NTGM012793&prevUrl=

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NTGM012790&prevUrl=

Another example of clever design and measuring by NCT.

The "J" Reg Atlanteans were fitted with low profile tyres and that took an inch off the overall height. Headroom in the lower saloon was reduced to 70 inches and the floor of for the upper saloon was made much thinner. Upstairs headroom was reduced to 68 inches and the roof was made thinner.

The end result was a bus with a conventional layout that could pass under the Wilford Lane railway bridge.

The real secret was in measuring the bridge's clearance. The warning sign said 13' 6" when in fact the clearance was 14 feet. NCT had taken their own measurements and were aware of the discrepancy. The extra six inches was just enough (as the bishop said to the clippy!)

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

The topic about low-bridge buses on the 12A East Midland route, Nottingham to Chesterfield. These would have been made necessary by the low bridge carrying the Midland Main Line over the Mansfield Road at Horns Bridge just south of Chesterfield. There were three lines crossing at the same point, with the Great Central Railway at ground level, the Midland Main Line in the middle and the London, Derbyshire and East Coast Railway over the top on a viaduct.

I retired from Bombardier in Derby 10 years ago, having worked for the organisation under its many and various guises for 35 years.

I bet you knew John Shaw, ex Co-op electrician?

Sorry, no. It's a strange thing - many people tell me that they have or had friends/ex-colleagues who worked in Bombardier or its predecessors, and I don't think I have ever yet matched up a name with someone I knew. Mind you, when I started in 1968 there were 4,000 at the Carriage works, another 3,500 at the Loco, and several hundred at the workshops HQ.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Aren't NCT running a double decker sprayed in the West Bridgford colours at the moment? saw one thus a week or so ago, looked good, went on one of my rare bus rides Radcliffe to Friar Lane last saturday the seats were plastic or leatherette covered and with Lewis Hamilton up front every corner and bend I slid across such, a real struggle not to slide off, then it was the no.35 to Bulwell via Broxtowe , a delightful trip

• 1 month later...

Going off track here a bit but anyone remember the bus conductors shouting the stops? many a time I used to catch the 39 from town to Carlton.it would go somethimg like- next stop storer street, then St. mathias, Crown, Cardale road, Standhill road, hooten road, Ivy Grove, Garden avenue, Chesterfield road, Terminus. then the wooden chock lowered on a chain, to wait for the next journey.