• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Old Market Square , Nottingham c1960s

King Edward Street, Nottingham 1976 Former site of Central Market after it moved into the Victoria Centre & was being used as temporary parking for the Nottingham City Transport buses Ph

Looks like the word & song players have woke up bored to death, here have something Nottingham.  Have a good day, try & get yourselves outside today, it's later than you think    

5 hours ago, Willow wilson said:

Pride of place for me was the one day a week we had a Sheffield United Tours Leyland Royal Tiger in bright red and cream with chrome trim. Twin double-curve windscreen, twin destination blind, and centre sliding door, SUT badge on the sides. Not a straight line on it anwhere. 

Best I can do for SUT is this AEC Reliance with early Plaxton Panorama bodywork. Seen in Sheffield in the late 1960s.

Sheffield_United_Tours_328_in_Sheffield_

That's the correct livery Merthyr Imp but not the coach. I can't work image posting yet. The image I'm after is

google:-

Leyland royal tiger 1953.

The first image is a cream and maroon one by Burlingham Seagull coach builder. But in Boulton's of Shropshire livery. The one I saw was a Burlingham Seagull in SUT livery.

Merthyr Imp, I can't find a Leyland Royal Tiger in SUT fleet list for the 50s so I must be mistaken. I got the coach name right but not the owner. But I saw one of the Burlingham Seagulls and it was at Mablethorpe but I don't know the operator. I'll console myself with that.

According to Old Bus Photos website SUT did consider a mk7 and mk5 Seagull in 1957/8 but they didn't take them into the fleet permanently.

It could have been (most likely) an SUT AEC Regal with Burlingham Seagull body from 1953.

I will now stop digging.

• 1 month later...

I was idly watching the Queensland election results on TV last night (sad isn't it) but my interest was raised when they mentioned the seat of Aspley, a Brisbane suburb. Further research found that the area was named after Aspley Hall in Nottingham (never heard of it?) But I did find a picture of a bus to Aspley (photo courtesy of the Queensland Museum Toowoomba)

Interestingly there is another seat call Mansfield (not named after Mansfield in the UK) and a suburb called Rainworth.

Mansfield in Victoria however is named after its Notts namesake

1024px-Kedron_omnibus.jpg

• Like 1

It always amazes me how many towns and cities in the UK have districts with the same names as some of ours.

Clifton, Beeston, Kirkby, Woodborough, to name but a few.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I know its not Nottingham but this is a 1/76 scale model of a DAF Optair Delta of Edinburgh Transport,I've travelled on this type of bus when I've been to Edinburgh, a very harsh ride and you feel every bump in the road no matter where you sit on the bus,Have we had these in Nottingham and if so were they such a harsh ride, this is a model of number 333 Princes street to South Gyle via Corstophine, reg number G785 PWL

P1060321.jpg

Rog

• 1 month later...

South Notts Bedford OB, orignally owned by South Notts then sold to Bunny Hill Motors to be used as staff transport for the office workers of H J Baldwin & Co LTD

P1060415.jpg

Rog

• Like 1

Just a heads up for Catfan in case he would like a bus to play with. John Pye have a sale next week and it includes a couple of 1993 Leyland Olympia 77 seaters and a 1950 Dennis Lancet 39 seater. The Lancet would be ideal for you to take the Nottsalgia gang out on a mystery tour :biggrin:

• Like 5

If you think Olympians were nippy God knows what other NCT buses were like!  On Trent we used to call 'em Limpalongs! I used to like driving them tho'

• Like 1