McDonalds and other food places

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A Barnsley Chop is a lamb chop taken from right across the loin which becomes a double sided chop. It is sometimes referred to as a saddle chop as it is cut across the saddle producing a double loin c

Many retired officers may side with you today Ian. The ones I am in contact with are very critical of the modern Police. Police...a bit like an insurance company. You only know how good they are wh

Langley Mill have a problem with traffic at the moment due to idiots queuing for McDonalds. To make matters worse it's situated next to a traffic island so no room for a queue. Have you missed an

Langley Mill have a problem with traffic at the moment due to idiots queuing for McDonalds. To make matters worse it's situated next to a traffic island so no room for a queue.

Have you missed anything? yes and be glad you have!. 

• Like 1

I've been in 2 McDonalds in my life.

Clumber Street, I think it was, in the 80's, was Sunday and nothing else open.

New Zealand last year with Son and family, I blame the Grandkids.

I suspect McDonalds failed to impress me in the 80's.

I have no further plans to go to any.

I'm normally a bit of a 'gourmet' eater but there occasions, such as being on a long road journey and feeling ravenously hungry, when a McDonalds just fills the bill. Maybe two or three times a year. I certainly wouldn't queue with the plebs for one though! :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

When we stay in Wroxham, I go over the bridge to Maccy Ds but only for coffee and so I can use their free wifi. 

• 3 years later...
On 6/6/2020 at 4:51 AM, Totongirl said:

Mac Donalds? Ugh, no thanks.

Reach Data Unit has analyzed information provided by The Food Standards Agency and reported by Council area how many McDonalds are in the area.

Bolsover on the Notts/Derby border has 5 per 100k of population

Bassetlaw has 3.4 per 100k

Mansfield has 3.6 per 100k

Nottingham has 3.1 per 100k

The City of London has 34.8 per 100k of population. Not surprising given it is predominantly a tourist area but only has three Maccy D's

On 6/4/2020 at 3:41 PM, Stuart.C said:

I've been in 2 McDonalds in my life.

Clumber Street, I think it was, in the 80's, was Sunday and nothing else open.

New Zealand last year with Son and family, I blame the Grandkids.

I suspect McDonalds failed to impress me in the 80's.

I have no further plans to go to any.

I'm sorry to have to report that I have now been in another McD, Castle Marina, with a former work colleague who was visiting the area for a meeting, fortunately only for Tea / Coffee.
There was very little choice in the area, we would have gone into Sainsburys Cafe but along with the majority of their  other Cafes around the country it's been closed.
Pizza Hut was the next choice but they hadn't opened at the time we were there, 10.30am.

Regardless of the food, I just don't like McDonalds for the plastic interiors and look of the place.

And I'd love to know who thinks that Snot Green is a good choice of corporate colour for the exterior of their  buildings.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/HFkqC4Q8b854FefS7    

It's probably the most sickly, revolting colour anywhere in the city centre.

McDonalds - Would never eat it

Burger King (In Australia Hungry Jack's)- Breakfast is passable on a road trip

Pizza Hut - Very few and far between in OZ these days. Used to have a great dine in option that was good value. Now take away only and none in our area.

Dominos - We have a local outlet and OK if you have a special offer

KFC- The only one I eat but only now and again.

Starbucks - Tried it once, never again the coffee was awful.

Subway - Cannot stand the smell as you pass their store. It has the most locations in Australia.

Nandos - Never tried it

Geggs - No national bakery chains in Australia but many good local bakeries with great tasting pies, pasties and sweet items. My first choice.

Never been to a McDonald's, Starbucks, KFC, Burger King or any other fast food chain.  No plans for that to change, even though they are springing up all over the place.

Did go to The Hole in the Wall at Underwood yesterday for lunch with friends. Their meat free carvery is very good. Enjoyed the meal and thawed out after a trip to Reuben Shaw's at Moorgreen.

• Like 1
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to McDonalds and other food places

Four of us dined at the Asiana at Muskham yesterday evening. It’s a prize winning India restaurant close to the A1. The menu was extensive and the food was excellent. Obviously it was very popular because of recent ‘write ups’. The place was heaving with people who conducted their conversations at full volume forcing others to speak even louder to be heard. There were also the usual women who screamed like hyenas. Don’t people know how to behave these days? If we go again it will be for a takeaway but a 20 mile round trip is a long way to go.

• Like 1

Jill theres a place i forgot Hole in the Wall at Underwood i used to cycle from Nuthall to Underwood where my friend lived just over the hill past the Hole in the Wall on Wilhallow Lane next to the old farm if it is still there this was in the early 60s and quite a bike ride there and back with all those hills especially the one from Moorgreen res. to Underwood it was much easier getting there after i passed my driving test in 1964 glad to here the place is still there. Is the Horse and Groom still a good place to go we have been there a few times when we visit the uk and we have to Reuben Shaws a few times.

@IAN FINN very little changes around there. The Hole has changed hands a few times and went through a period of not being a very good place to eat but, happily, has pulled its socks up. Reuben Shaw's is a good nursery with quality plants. Not the cheapest but the stock is generally well cared for. Bought a couple of hibiscus plants for a birthday present.

Can not see going to a garden centre in January too cold i have just been outside th shovel a bit of snow the temperature is -34 the windchill is -51 i am staying inside now in front of the fire with my moggy and wife oops i forgot to cover the  tomatoes in the garden.

• Like 1

Not keen on the Horse & Groom, Moorgreen. Its one of these places where they put a gravy boat or similar one one side of the plate rather than filling the plate with food. Puts me off instantly.

It was surprising last year to see the McDonald's at the bottom of Exchange Walk had closed down.

OLpmrHw.jpg

It's presumably a result of the total lack of shops and passing trade in that area.

1 hour ago, The Pianoman said:

Not keen on the Horse & Groom, Moorgreen. Its one of these places where they put a gravy boat or similar one one side of the plate rather than filling the plate with food. Puts me off instantly.

They used to do a good Barnsley chop there but I’m going back to the ‘70’s!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

It was surprising last year to see the McDonald's at the bottom of Exchange Walk had closed down.

Quite possible that the owners were sick of all the trouble they had to put up with from gangs of youths and late night drunks.

Although the reduced footfall since Broadmarsh went could be a contributing factor.

10 hours ago, philmayfield said:

Four of us dined at the Asiana at Muskham yesterday evening.

Is Muskham bridge fully open now?

When we were last in the UK we went to an Indian/Asian restaurant called Bridge and Bayleaf (Not sure it was called that then) near Gunthorpe Lock, it was a very good meal.

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

Its one of these places where they put a gravy boat or similar one one side of the plate rather than filling the plate with food. Puts me off instantly.

I agree Phil. That is the same as a full English breakfast with the baked beans in a ramekin on the plate.

A quick question to all, are hash browns a legitimate addition to a full English or are they an American abomination that should be replaced with bubble and squeak

Hash browns are usually on an English breakfast but you are correct, they are a US import and usually quite greasy or overcooked here. Not anything like as good as “home fries” in the States, particularly in the south.

3 hours ago, Beekay said:

Okay Phil., enlighten me. What's a Barnsley chop?

Yummy Beekay